jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Do you prefer the term Negro, African American or black?

1. bluesradio profile image75
    bluesradioposted 2 years ago

Do you prefer the term Negro, African American or black?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

I prefer Black because that's what we changed to when we stopped calling people with dark color skin something really ugly.  But I'm a product of my generation, and I'm happy to refer to people in any way they prefer.  How about "human"?

3. Jeramey Conrad profile image84
    Jeramey Conradposted 2 years ago

They are different. African American and Black are not synonyms, and nobody younger than 60 would even think to say Negro. The United States has many black people from the Caribbean and Africa, and even black Canadians and Europeans. They, like the American-born descendents of slaves are all "Black" but they are not "African-American".

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Exactly this. And I think I prefer to listen to what people would like to  be called rather than decide for myself anyways.

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I would agree.  Negro is very offensive.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

I prefer the term American all by itself
    Why is Black, White, Yellow, or Brown relevant, unless you are Crayola.

1. bluesradio profile image75
      bluesradioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Because a lot of people like to know their heritage is why ii is relevant.  Most Irish know something about their home country and continent.  Same for Poles, French, etc.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So heritage trumps citizenship. Heritage is where your family history came from, but citizenship is where You chose to live and be part of the American Way. Why should heritage come before American??

3. bluesradio profile image75

Did not say it comes before.  Just important to have I believe.  Also in most schools, census reports, birth certificates, just American is not a option.  You have to list some sort of racial or ethical identity.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image28

Why do you have to list all of these on your government documents, unless it is the government that is discriminating race, color, and ethnicity?

5. bluesradio profile image75

Made sure I was not wrong.   State Id or license clearly ask for your race and definitely your birth certificate dies and I know census collects this data as well.   Most job applications also ask.

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image28

Marc
      My point is that the govt is collecting this information, but why does it NEED it?
      Why do job applications need it? As long as the govt keeps requesting this info how is there ever going to be equality.
      What is the relevance of this info?

7. bluesradio profile image75

Oh I agree it is not needed.  And sometimes be used against citizens.  Ever heard of a FBI initiative called Conintelpro that was part of demise of civil rights movement..

8. bradmasterOCcal profile image28

i just looked it up, and it makes you wonder what documents are being used now, and who they are targeting? I also don't think that the SSN should be used outside of the US govt, and not for commercial use.
      I think we agree here

5. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

Back in the mid 1970s, a white girl asked me if I preferred black, negro, or colored.  I knew nothing about political correctness, but I thought the term "colored" was dumb.  So I answered, "I prefer black or negro, because everyone's colored.". She really liked my answer.
    I still prefer those two terms, though I'm cool with African American as well.

working