jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can you name one woman politician caught in a sex scandal like Edwards or Weiner

1. The Frog Prince profile image77
    The Frog Princeposted 6 years ago

Can you name one woman politician caught in a sex scandal like Edwards or Weiner?

If so, who, and how was it explained away?

2. Hound Cat profile image58
    Hound Catposted 6 years ago

That is an interesting question. I have never heard of a female politician "caught" in a sex scandal.  They are just more careful I suppose.

3. Bretsuki profile image80
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Hello, well since the question was not qualified in requesting women politicians involved in sex scandals to the US alone. I can name one.

Edwina Curry. Edwina Curry was a junior minister in the Thatcher Administration in Britain in the early 1980's, she was sacked after declaring eggs unsafe due to Salmonella.

She languished on the government back benches until John Major became Prime Minister in 1990. Soon after Edwina was promoted to a ministerial post. Only to resign after a couple of years on the release of the story that she had been having a long time affair with John Major.

Both were married to other partners throughout the affair. In Britain the affair was a shocker, but her political career was smashed to pieces, John Major however seemed to gain some kudos as he had been presented by the media as a grey man, no personality, no policies, no drive, hardly a blip on the radar screen of history, now HE had an affair! What a dog!

4. J D Murrah profile image61
    J D Murrahposted 6 years ago

You ask a fascinating question. One of the last bastions of double standards is that of sex scandal reporting. When it comes to prominent female politicians, their sexual activities are often downplayed by the media, while male sex scandals are reported. Although society may talk of equality, when it comes to reporting, they continue having a double standard, expecting one level of behavior from male politicians and another for women. In the case of women politicians, the press intentionally kept Congresswoman Barbara Jordan's lover out of the spotlight as they did with the lovers of Eleanor Roosevelt. Instead of holding them to the same standards as the men, the media changed the standards. I suspect that you never hear of the scandals because the press never reports their sexual activities as 'scandals'. Because the press wants to protect certain politicians, they have created this double standard regarding sexual improprieties.