jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

When (and from where) did your people come to the United States?

1. Billrrrr profile image84
    Billrrrrposted 6 years ago

When (and from where) did your people come to the United States?

The great melting pot is still cooking.  Only the finest ingredients from all over the world have been added to the stock.

2. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

For me this one is easy. I am one of the still arriving. I came here in 2006 from England.

3. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 6 years ago

My great grandparents came from Scotland. Just tracing the family lines now

4. ThePracticalMommy profile image95
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

My father's side came over from Scotland, England and Wales in the early 1800s. My mother's side came from Italy in the 1890s.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Mine came here so long ago that I've never heard of records of arrival. . . .only which states that they came to Texas from, etc.

Some of my ancestors were here before the "white man" came at all. . .but I'm still about as "white" as they come.

6. scauthor1969 profile image63
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

Most of my family came down from Quebec to New England post civil war. My last relatives to arrive were from England in 1905. Trying to trace that line back as I write this.

7. Guanta profile image71
    Guantaposted 6 years ago

My family came from Cuba back in 1958.  Glad to be here.

8. Dexter Yarbrough profile image81
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, on slave ships from western Africa. When, I don't exactly know and I can't pinpoint exactly where.

9. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

My dad was British and never became a US citizen despite moving to the US. Half of my American mother's family is a mix of Danish and Irish immigrants. The other half of my mother's ancestors were from Britain and came to the new world in the 1600s.

10. TheMikeNealis profile image60
    TheMikeNealisposted 6 years ago

My father came from Ireland in 1964, My mothers side is a mix of German, Irish and Cherokee

11. smith624 profile image56
    smith624posted 6 years ago

My mom is German. She met my dad while he was in the Army. She came over with him in 1968.

12. Billrrrr profile image84
    Billrrrrposted 6 years ago

Hi Dex.  It's pretty hard to answer a question like this when your people were horribly uprooted,  enslaved and transported across an ocean to a strange land.
    It was a tragedy of unspeakable proportions - but I for one, am ever grateful for the many contributions to society made by African-Americans.  In every field from Education to the Arts, we have all been enriched by their work.  When I said that only the finest ingredients have been added to the stock - I am certainly including those brave souls who were brought here not of their own choice.

working