This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think mandatory sterilization should be made a punishment for certain cri

1. CWanamaker profile image99
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Do you think mandatory sterilization should be made a punishment for certain crimes?

2. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

No sir, I certainly do not.

I wholeheartedly support the idea of serving one's sentenace and being held accountable.  In extreme cases, I might  even favor the death penalty.  In very extreme cases, I would even support agony in the degree of the agony that was caused.

Never, do I think that the government has the authority to tell us how many children we can or can not have.  They simply have NO authority in this arena.  Though, I am all for the individuals supporting the children they procreate!

Once a person serves his or her sentence and pays their dues to society at large........they should be treated as any and all free, law abiding citizens are.........with the right to bear arms, housing, employment, and voting privalages.

If the person is convicted again.......they forfeit such rights.

In any case, it takes another person in the equation to procreate a child.............the government has no right in these matters.................NONE...........There is no reason for the government, or its citizens to interfere with our reproductive abilities and rights.  We are people, not stray, homeless dogs.

In fact, I am personally sick of the intrusions they have made already.

It makes far more sense to curb the abuses that we see in housing authority contributions, welfare, WIC, and food stamp programs.

Have a child?  Feed and house that child.

But do not even begin to tell me that I can not  have another child, because my hubby ( hypothetically) committed a crime!

I realize that I done far more than answer your intial question, but this ruffeled my feathers.....the government has too much power over our daily lives already.  If it even attempted to orchestrate a measure such as this.....I just might have to take myself outside the country........my taxes and my votes will go right along beside me!

3. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

One can approach this question from many perspectives. Here's one of them. The United Nations published the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. This item should apply to issues of bodily integrity, like forced sterilization:

Article 5: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a3

If we violated the UDHR more than we already have, then we'd be in no moral position to criticize the chopping off of body parts, and other barbaric practices, in Islamic countries where Sharia law is practiced.

4. Awfranklin profile image61
    Awfranklinposted 6 years ago

Casey Anthony was heard saying she wants to have more kids......enough said man, and anyone who says, she was found innocent, that may be, but use common sense.  I think that in certain cases, some should not have to right to contribute more to an already growing population if they have already proven that they cannot handle children.  How many kids do we need in foster homes, or on government support, because the parents were not fit.  I love children more than anything, they are a blessing, but some people are just not capable or responsible enough to handle that responsibility, and its only the child who suffers, not the unfit parents.  So when it comes to the convicted thieving crack head with 5 kids and not a breath of hope of providing for them, lets not give her the opportunity for a sixth.  Or a mother who has murdered her daughter, was acquitted, but has talked about having more, lets not allow that poor potential child to be neglected, mistreated, or uncared for.  I know our bodies are our rights, and the government has no ground to take our bodily rights away, but there are cases where a guy should be snipped, or a womans tubes should be tied.  We have all looked at certain people and thought that in our heads.  So in closing to the rant, the government will never have the right to do it, but I will always personally believe there are cases where i wish they did.

working