jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Who is the greatest politician of all time

1. Derica6350 profile image60
    Derica6350posted 6 years ago

Who is the greatest politician of all time

2. Bretsuki profile image80
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

That is a tough question. I'd like to nominate two.  William Pitt the Younger Prime Minister of the United Kingdom throughout the Napoleonic War and premier through the British abolition of slavery, he backed William Wilberforce in his moves to abolish slavery throughout the British Empire. He was also Britains longest serving Prime Minister.

Secondly I would nominate Winston Churchill as a politician and war leader. Though not a successful politician in peacetime, he was able to use the political system well in wartime, holding together a diverse coalition of politicians who ranged from all areas of the political spectrum and kept them on a single course, to survive World War Two.

3. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 6 years ago

There could never be agreement on the best politician. Every country has their own best politician. If I think it is Mandela, then others might suggest Lincoln, then there could be serious refute suggesting Gandhi. But as long as no body suggest Hitler or Stalin, there is no problem with the answer.

4. HSanAlim profile image66
    HSanAlimposted 6 years ago

I am pretty sure no one else will agree with this but for me, the best politician of all time was Harry Truman.

The reason for this is, he had not really sought to be President, and barely sought out being Vice President. He did not like politicians and, most of all, I like the fact that he took responsibility for his actions. One of his favorite sayings being, "The buck stops here."

5. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

Rupert Murdoch.                                                                         .

6. Phillip Ball profile image58
    Phillip Ballposted 6 years ago

I'm fascinated with reading about Thomas Jefferson right now, he was a brilliant man, Who if you read your history never cheated on his wife. He was a man of honor in that he kept the promise his wife made him make on her death bed. (When Sally Hemings was nine years old.) He promised never to remarry, Martha Jefferson couldn't bear the thought of her children being raised by another woman, and history proves that Hemmings was about 16  when the love affair started and 14 was about the age of consent at that time.
      The only 2 things he did wrong are having sex with a slave, mixing races was a no no at that time in the U.S. because of the atrocity of slavery, and he had sex out of wedlock, but it was illegal to marry slaves. Today this has become an acceptable act unless you're a minister or a politician. Most people who try to hold politicians to this higher accountability can't even live up to it.
      What made him the greatest in my eyes is that he was a brilliant thinker, that wrote the Declaration of Independence with almost poetic beauty. He may not have been much of a public speaker, but what he wrote and the way his mind worked were brilliant.
       We could really use a mind like his to solve some of today's problems. I wish he were available for consultation today.

7. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 6 years ago

Jefferson was a great president.He may have had some divine Intervention as we say it when it came to writing the constitution,though.
    Washington also had an unusual experiance at waterloo.