jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is testosterone and/or the male ego ruining America?

1. cooldad profile image59
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

Is testosterone and/or the male ego ruining America?

Whether it be politics, Wall Street, or the War on Terror, it seems to me that the male ego is ruining America.  In almost every bad situation we encounter in our country, I can't help but think there is a "little" man with a big ego doing something shifty behind the scenes. 

I think it's safe to say that the problems with our economy come directly from a small group of men with huge egos who couldn't get out of greed's way.  Politics has turned into a game of "my package is bigger than yours". And the War on Terror has turned into a game of ego instead of protection.

Any thoughts?

2. dramatis personae profile image61
    dramatis personaeposted 6 years ago

I really think our current problems have to do with an entire generation thinking They were entitled to mega mansions and SUV's and whatever else they knew very well they could not afford.  Partly government and banking greed and partly Americans who were greedy. Great question too.

3. Erin Rooney profile image59
    Erin Rooneyposted 6 years ago

I really appreciate you asking this question.

In reading your question (and some of the answers) I feel that a lot of our problems in America are due to this relentless desire to constantly point the finger at someone else.

"Those people don't get it. It's their failed political ideology."

The goal is no longer to solve problems, but instead to call everyone else's solution a failure and not try to actually learn and improve. No one in this country is perfect. No one in this country is faultless. Blaming others may feel good, but ultimately we cut off our own intellect and problem solving abilities in doing so.

In a way, this inability to take responsibility is one of the worst parts of the male ego, but I'm sure it manifests itself in the female ego as well.

There also seems to be some confusion that all societies in human history have been created by males. In order for a society to be created you need both men and women, unless you want to die out really fast. Sorry.

There are also plenty of societies that have been and are run by women. The Minangkabau, Berbers, Tuareg, Sardinian people, Mosuo, and Rhade are all strongly matrilocal societies.

Also there was Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth I, and Queen Elizabeth II.

And let's not forget about one of the most famous events in English history when Queen Elizabeth led her country to victory over the Spanish Armada. This is the sort of research that I would recommend doing before claiming that only men can run societies. That is the kind of unhealthy ego I believe  the person asking this question is referring to.

4. Holly Richmond profile image60
    Holly Richmondposted 6 years ago

The male ego has been running the world forever, except for a few pockets of matriarchal societies over the centuries.  Look at who is in charge of major corporations, government bodies, and decision making positions throughout the world. Men. Look at the type of women who fight their way to power. They act just like men. Our culture hypes all things testosterone based. So, I don't think what we're seeing now is all that different from the past.  It just feels that way because we're living through it. Should things change and should we value what are seen as female strengths  I'd vote for that!

5. MOEFLATS profile image74
    MOEFLATSposted 6 years ago

I think that the "male ego" has little or anything to do with the way this country is being run.  Furthermore, it is completely moronic to attribute bad leadership qualities to males.  Statistics show that there is now a higher incidence of violent crimes by women.  This was attributed to the fact that women are now taking on more "male" roles in society.    I think that as more women take positions of power in the political arena, we will see that they are just as capable of making the same sort of mistakes as men have. 
         As far as the War on Terror is concerned, human rights are being violated.  People in general have suffered as the result of greater power falling into the hands of fewer people.  The abuse of power is a social illness that goes beyond gender.  If there is an elite class and "the rest of us", guess whose rights are going to be trampled upon?  It isn't going to make any difference whatsoever whether this "higher class" is comprised of males or females:  the abuse of power will continue.

6. cooldad profile image59
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

@Erin: I'm glad you liked the question and thanks for answering.  I agree with people pointing fingers instead of solving problems.  I'm really speaking more about America right here and right now.  I think America is very much male dominated, from politics to big corporations.  I do think the tide is changing though.  I think women are advancing faster than men, but it will take some time to shift the power structure.

@S. Leretseh: thanks for commenting, but no thanks.  It has nothing to do with party lines, that's an ignorant statement and you kind of jumped way over the question at hand.  Take your head out of GOP anus, take a breath and take a look at the real world once in a while.

@Holly: thanks for your answer, I agree with you.

@MOEFLATS: thanks for commenting.  I think that's a pretty naive answer and one not substantiated by reality.  Male Ego has everything to do with many of our problems in this country.  Men run politics, men run our corporations, men run just about everything.  I think it's foolish to think otherwise.

@dramatis: well said, I couldn't agree more

@india: thanks so much for sending me a link about an earthquake in india (sarcasm)  go away, go far away from my posts please

@Jonesy:great comments as always, thanks for stopping by, you will always be one of my favorite hubbers.

7. Sheepsquatch profile image64
    Sheepsquatchposted 5 years ago

I believe you are using the terms testosterone and greed interchangeably. Most societies are and have been patriarchal. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation. In the recent mortgage crisis men and women held high positions of authority with the knowledge and power to do what would be seen as the right thing. Instead they choose to do what was  perceived as a greater benefit to themselves. People are not generally selfless. Regardless of sex people tend to do what they believe is best for themselves. The problems that we face in America can not be blamed on a small group of people. The nation as a whole were and are making bad decisions. This question does what so many have done before. It shifts the blame away from ourselves. Greed and corruption rule because it gives what people think they need and want.

8. Clive Donegal profile image76
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

How many assumptions are at work here? Is America being ruined? What would lead to the assumption that testosterone is a factor? If the question were posed the other way, whether an excess of estrogen were weakening the country, there would be a justifiable outcry about sexism.
    Is it testosterone that drives the likes of a narrow-minded dogmatist such as our or so briefly Swiss Representative Michele Bachmann?
    Is testosterone involved in a race in which a proud party-line conservative who proclaims that his deifinition of compromise is Democrats coming around to therepublican point of view prevails over a senator known for placing the good of the country ove party loyalty? Or is it only that Sen. Luger is testosterone-challenged?