jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are some of the ways to improve intercultural communication in a diverse so

1. profile image55
    borowestposted 6 years ago

What are some of the ways to improve intercultural communication in a diverse society

2. Alladream74 profile image76
    Alladream74posted 6 years ago

Have a cultural exchange get together where people present simple day to day living from their cultural perspective. You can work on themes such as,how to show respect-this should open up some interesting dialogue. Also share humour from a cultural perspective,it is always interesting to learn what different people find funny.When you can laugh together, you communicate better.

3. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

We in America, and perhaps in modern society as a whole, need to develop, to habituate, to hone and nurture the mindset and practice of "active listening".

In other words, we have to not just "look the part" and do all the appropriate head nods and "uh-huh"s and "oh really?"s.

We have to LISTEN - to focus on what is being communicated - not just on looking like the so-ever-good listener.

We have to LISTEN and learn from each other, not just wait for OUR turn to talk!

4. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago
  5. writer21 profile image52
    writer21posted 6 years ago

Every society in the world possess a distinctive culture and practices which is important for the people's life survival. If you are new to a certain society, the best way to improve your inter-cultural communication is to know and be acquainted with the different practices they have. Learn to observe their culture and follow what it dictates that you suppose to do. Be nice with the people by learning their nature of living.

6. L. Spikes profile image89
    L. Spikesposted 6 years ago

I think that the place to start would be to have a 'genuine' interest in other people  and things. Don't learn about them just for the sake of exploitation. Learn a new language in order to be able to have a genuine conversation with someone and not because you're trying to sell them something. Hang out with people who are different from you because you want to grow and not just so that you can say, "I have a friend who is _____. Look at me, I'm cultural."  Take an interest in movies, food, and music because 'you' like those things and not because you're trying to impress someone else. I think that goes a long way. But, that's just my opinion.

7. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

What are the types of diversity we need to be mindful to include in the workplace? Diversity of opinion and thought. read more