Name one thing that will improve communication between men and women?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (35 posts)
  1. K9keystrokes profile image86
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Name one thing that will improve communication between men and women?

2. cjcarter profile image71
    cjcarterposted 12 years ago

It is hard to listen to someone if one is doing all the talking. So, more listening, less talking on both parties.

3. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 12 years ago

Men have a tentency not to listen.  They look at you and nod, but they are somewhere else.  You just think they are listening!

4. mattdigiulio profile image78
    mattdigiulioposted 12 years ago

One thing that I think will improve communication is when men and women can get stereotypes out of the way and treat each other like human beings. I think this is an issue within gender as well. Sure, some men aren't very good at listening, but some are quite good. Some women talk a lot about themselves, but from just the women I've known in my life, many women are great at understanding others' perspectives. Just writing those two examples, they struck me as having close correlation, which raises a new thought. Men and women who stick to stereotypes about the other sex may be hating that trait in themselves and don't want to see themselves aligning with or condoning that behavior in other people.

So, yeah, stereotypes. I could have just said that.

5. rachelsholiday profile image59
    rachelsholidayposted 12 years ago

I would agree with cjcarter.  There needs to be more listening.  Also, I would say actually talking about the issue at hand.  Sometimes if I have a problem about something I'll start talking about something else because I don't want to confront the actual issue.

6. smzclark profile image61
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

Most men could benefit from opening up and talking about real stuff a bit more...stuff that actually matters (not beer, football and farts!). And most women could do with listening to men better when they do decide to speak up. I think that some men don't talk as much because they don't feel that they will be listened to or understood by the woman...or they feel that they will only end up being interrupted anyway; by the woman expressing her point of view (making his less important). I also believe that most men don't like to appear weak, so they don't open up as much about their concerns or personal issues, whereas most women like to see a man open up and believe a man that is able to cry to be a 'real man'. . . Whereas the woman will speak up regardless.

two things, one for each sex:

women: listen
    men: speak

7. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

The ability to shut up and listen to the other person. 
    Being open minded will also help.  Seeing things from the other person's view is important in communication.

8. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5827005_f260.jpg

I would say being a good listener and understanding your partners needs, desires and feelings and by having both parties show a true interest in improving the relationship.

9. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

Patience would improve communication between men and women...as well as an understanding that each gender approaches things from different perspectives.

10. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 12 years ago

A couple of thing can greatly enhance communication between men and women.  From my own experience of these many long years being in a relationship with the same man, I can honestly attest to this - treat your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend/mate as if they were someone else.  That means be as polite as you would to someone you know and respect and who you want to respect YOU.  If you don't give it, you won't get it in return.

Sprinkle in some kindness.  Always be willing to be kind even when you're mad or you're having a rough spot.  Amazingly, the kinder you are sometimes or the gentler you are about your feelings, it helps open the door for like treatment. 

Don't be afraid to be open but if you find that it isn't working, agree to disagree and come back to it after you've both had time to think separately about something. 

Last but not least, being intimate with someone definitely improves communication! So does making a wonderful meal for someone or doing something just "over the top" to show you care and then communicating. 

Remembering that everyone feels and absorbs differently is really important and finding the key that unlocks the 'mystery' is half the fun~~~ It works across the board by the way - kids, dogs, people - it's all the same kind of mindset~

11. MazioCreate profile image67
    MazioCreateposted 12 years ago

I think there are two areas where both men and women could improve their skills.  The first is LISTENING!  Not just hearing but active listening.  These are skills every person needs for any relationship in their life, be it personal or work related.  The other aspect I think we all need is empathy.  By "walking a mile in some else's shoes" we can gain a better understanding of their needs, wants and desires.

12. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

stop thinking a gender but as individual that are unique, leaving the in laws out of the picture, leaving the crazy bitter friends out of the picture, letting go of the fear.
    Allow the partner to express him/herself as an being that is different and let honesty be the leader of all that.
    Another one inspired by swisswatch1: women be more quiet and listen more, men intimidate less and express more... of course this is based on general remarks about averages in gender.

13. perfectperception profile image60
    perfectperceptionposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5984613_f260.jpg

Consideration is most important in any communication but especially in communication between a man and a woman!

14. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

in my opion the answer is simple boundries

15. learner365 profile image71
    learner365posted 12 years ago

To me understanding each others point of views about everything is what that matters. Without understanding you cannot communicate and accept each other on, one on one level !!!

16. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

One thing that will improve communication is having "realistic expectations". Too many people confuse "communication" with "action". Communication is nothing more than (expressing an idea and having another person acknowledge they heard and understood you).

Communication is NOT an "Ask and it shall be given proposition". Just becasuse someone does not give us what we ask for does not mean there is a "communication problem". Generally speaking it's one of two reasons.
    1) They don't have it to give.
    2) They don't believe you are worth the effort to give it to. (difference in priorities)

People change when (they) want to change. All we can do is (ask) for what we want. If we aren't getting it we have to decide whether or not it's a "deal breaker". If it is (get out). If it's not learn to live (without).
    Ultimately you are far better off being with someone who "naturally agrees" with you rather than wasting time trying to change water into wine or fit square pegs into round holes. There is no "right" or "wrong" only "agree" and "disagree". Relationships are happier when both people want the same things the majority of the time. One man's opinion! :-)

17. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 12 years ago

Talking in person or on the phone instead of via SMS.  Text messaging should only be used only as a convenience to let someone know you're running late, or on your way etc.  Dating shouldn't start with texting; real debates, arguments and meaningful discussions should be done where you can hear the persons others voice and not in typed in words with a limit to the charactors!

18. alphagirl profile image77
    alphagirlposted 12 years ago

Ahhh, remove any preconceived filter that annoy you so that you can hear the words spoken. We all do it. It is tought. repeat what your partner tells you. Preface it with a positive before a negative. Never start a sentence with YOU. It puts the person on defence.

19. NessaMetharam profile image59
    NessaMetharamposted 12 years ago

Patience. *coughs and looks at the men around the room* smile And I guess, confidence would be a good cherry on top.

20. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

OK....my sarcastic sense of humor was about to write, "Threat of divorce."....but I've chosen to be serious today.  High time I stop with the wise-cracks (for now)......
    I believe in personal note dropping and an occasional love letter....this improves your communication in subtle & gentle ways.  Example?  How about a note slipped into your husband's pocket that says...."Hey babe, I'm missing you and can't wait to hear about your day over dinner."   or a note left on the bathroom mirror to your wife:  "You are looking at the most beautiful woman in the world. How bout a date tonight?"   Too oowee goowee sugary for you?  Fine, use your own creativity.  It definitely sparks positive ground for communication.  Don't knock it till you try it.

21. Earth Angel profile image60
    Earth Angelposted 12 years ago

Authenticity . . . Blessings, Earth Angel

22. Capedium profile image71
    Capediumposted 12 years ago

Please don't laugh..
    I think it is money...

23. Les Trois Chenes profile image81
    Les Trois Chenesposted 12 years ago

If men would listen to what women are saying. I am often trying to impart important information, (as opposed to 'just' chatting), and he will let me get right to the end, realise he actually wants to know this and make me repeat it all. On other occasions I have to ask, "What is coming out of my mouth?", to make him realise I'm trying to talk to him. I don't think he is at all unusual!

24. GoldenBird profile image57
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

Many of them can be mentioned, but I love one of them above all the others. It's called celibacy.

25. profile image33
    saisarannagaposted 12 years ago

Understanding with Love and compassion. Forgive and forget is the best policy. Never point out others mistakes. Err is human. Hence we have to improve communication on a broader base of understanding and sympathy.

26. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 12 years ago

Since communication is two way, listening with understanding can improve communication. if you talk a lot an you don't listen nothing will be accomplish.

27. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

Honesty and openess...always having in mind how they can complent each other not what is there to divide them...

28. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 12 years ago

I think it is saying exactly what you mean. Do not assume the the man you are speaking to knows where you are coming from.

29. TheTrueYou profile image41
    TheTrueYouposted 12 years ago

Motive to learn more about the other person.

30. LoveLikeASunset profile image59
    LoveLikeASunsetposted 12 years ago

Understanding where the other person is coming from and getting rid of pre-determined stereotypes i think will help a lot.

31. Brenda Yvette profile image62
    Brenda Yvetteposted 12 years ago

listening with a open mind, heart and ears.

32. ImYoungAtHeart profile image71
    ImYoungAtHeartposted 12 years ago

Listening with an open mind and heart without prejudging and also realizing that sometimes its better to be happy than convincing your partner that you are right. We should try to understand the other's point of view and empathize with their feelings.

33. brielise profile image59
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

Listening! Of course, that is the number one thing that needs to be improved on both sides. But also, stop being passive aggressive and just say what you mean to say. I'm guilty of this - I think most people are. You're angry or upset but just let it simmer until it boils over, or just keep getting little digs in but not really saying what needs to be said. In the end, passive aggressiveness is just a lack of real communication.

34. Hawkesdream profile image65
    Hawkesdreamposted 12 years ago

Getting rid of the television! In my opinion the television takes up too much time and any conversation attempts are thwarted by, 'Schhh this is a good bit'

35. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 12 years ago

Just one thing? When women do verbal onslaught, men should keep quiet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)