jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is your opinion on government regulating whether you can talk on your phone

1. DJBudd profile image71
    DJBuddposted 6 years ago

What is your opinion on government regulating whether you can talk on your phone while driving?

2. Credence2 profile image82
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

Yes, the government certainly has to right to impose these restrictions. The roads belong to the public and driving is not a right but a privilege.In the interests of public safety you are required to properly maintain your vehicle, not be in an intoxicated state and pay attention to the road. There have been too many instances where people that use cell phones while driving pose hazards to other drivers due to their inattention.

3. ringlawncare profile image62
    ringlawncareposted 6 years ago

To tell ya the truth, despite my like for our President, I have no real opinion of our government.
    To answer your question: I feel it's a public safety issue. Yes there are those PROS out there that can drive with their pinky, drink coffee and text with one hand, but than you have cats who need their phone right up to their face, because they can't see what has been texted.

4. FitnezzJim profile image82
    FitnezzJimposted 6 years ago

It depends on the government and their traceability to their authority.
    For instance, if it were to be a federal law, my question would be "In what section of the US Constitution have 'We the People' granted the temporary lawmakers the authority to make laws concerning whether we use a cell-phone while driving?"
    In fact, that question should apply to ANY law our Congress makes.

5. ChrisPatrick profile image60
    ChrisPatrickposted 6 years ago

it's okay with me because of the safety issue.

6. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 6 years ago

I agree that there should be regulations for driving while texting and talking on a cell phone without using 'hands-free', a blue tooth, or a speaker phone.  I recently submitted a Hub, (How's Your Driving?) regarding this topic.  It is a dangerous distraction.

7. DJBudd profile image71
    DJBuddposted 6 years ago

I was thinking this would be a little less one sided.  Should the same regulations be applied to drinking coffee or eating while driving?

8. okaygrace profile image60
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

I think the government has way too much control as it is in this country, but I also see how people drive in this country as well.

Honestly there are very few people that actually know how to drive and most drive like complete idiots half the time. When they are on their cell phones they drive even worse.

So even though I am against government control in most areas, I think this is one thing that is needed because it will force people to pay a little bit more attention while they are driving, which in turn will hopefully mean they will drive a little bit better.

9. Billrrrr profile image81
    Billrrrrposted 6 years ago

In the United States, people have much freedom.  Their freedom sometimes has to be protected.  A citizen has the right to be free from being crashed into by cell phone wielding dangerous drivers.

That means that the government not only can, but must, take action against those operators using cellphones irresponsibly.  They are as dangerous as drunken drivers.

working