jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why is it that one is stupid because one disagrees?

1. kateperez profile image64
    kateperezposted 6 years ago

Why is it that one is stupid because one disagrees?

Any topic of discussion applies here.  Whenever a person disagrees vehemently with another person, they resort to insults and divisive behaviors.  Why can't people respect differences rather than belittle differing opinions.

2. JamesPoppell profile image84
    JamesPoppellposted 6 years ago

I am of the opinion that we can agree to disagree. There is absolutely no reason why a person should resort to childish behavior just because they disagree with someone. Unfortunately, people too often resort to attacking the other person in today's society. It is a shame.

3. perfectperception profile image59
    perfectperceptionposted 6 years ago

It is not so much that the person disagreeing is stupid as much as it is that the person you disagree with is feeling their opinion is superior. I agree with James.  Agree to disagree.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Excellent question and what you say is true.  I have found it on most forum type discussions - if you disagree, they will tell you that you obviously do not understand, or aren't really aware of the facts --and the list goes on. I see such arrogance--but if you watch the news and they have, say, a conservation in one corner and a liberal in another -they do the same thing - they end up accusing the other other one of not have the correct facts.

I agree with everyone so far - let's be civil and agree to disagree.

5. xethonxq profile image63
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I think it's because our egos get in the way. Pride can be a difficult thing when it's hurt.

6. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

Hi, kateperez!

That is precisely why I stay out of the discussion forums, here on HubPages! Hanging out here, on the Q & A board, is much more fun. Both the level of discourse, tone of discussion, and frankly lack of knowledge, on those forums (especially the religious/political forums) are simply atrocious. Half the time the debaters not only don't know what they're talking about, but they don't even know what they don't know!

My advice? Stay out of the forums!

7. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

There are some people in this world who are completely unevolved and immature.  These people have no cognizance of the word "difference" as this world is quite an anathema to them.    There are some people who are quite authoritarian in their thinking, believing that everyone should have the exact same opinion as theirs.    Sorry to say, these people have neither matured intellectually nor emotionally.

8. TheRealJohnMiller profile image61
    TheRealJohnMillerposted 6 years ago

I agree with Duffsmom. However, there are some instances in which others are not properly informed. Some things are simply matter of opinion.

So, really, it depends.

working