jump to last post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)

Do you think its odd when people display their views on their car bumper?

1. thebiologyofleah profile image92
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

Do you think its odd when people display their views on their car bumper?

People often display bumper stickers of a political nature or voice their opinions about social issues on their cars.  For me, it always seemed an unusual venue for this type of expression.

2. CrazyGata profile image78
    CrazyGataposted 6 years ago

Everything is a reflection of one's personality so why stop at the car and not take it all way to the bumper sticker? ;-)

3. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 6 years ago

No. I am used to it. My favorite of all time was "Have a Sh***y Day" with a frowny face. Then it is "Hang up and drive!"

4. scottcgruber profile image81
    scottcgruberposted 6 years ago

It's a pretty logical place, I think. When you're stopped at a red light or in traffic, you have a captive readership in the car behind you.

5. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 6 years ago

It can be very dangerous, as you present yourself as a target for people who do not agree with your views.

6. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

I'm with you not my cup of tea offering free campaigning for candidates or businesses. I won't even accept a new car off the lot if the car lot's name is on the car. I feel if the car dealership is worth advertising, I will tell people if asked.

7. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

It sure makes sitting in traffic a lot less boring.  I like the ones that make me think, or that make me laugh.  Life is meant to be lived.  I see no reason to shut it out.

8. GNelson profile image79
    GNelsonposted 6 years ago

Ever since I saw the sticker,"Make love not war" on the bumper of a red convertable while riding a bus to boot camp, I have been a fan of bumper stickers.

9. xethonxq profile image63
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

No, I love it! I think the choices of bumper stickers really tells you a lot about a person (or family).

10. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

No, I do not think it is "odd."

And that is because, whether I agree with the views they display or I do not, they have the right to express their views, under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

11. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

As someone who has bumper stickers on his car, I do not believe that they will change the minds of anyone behind me. Rather, it's more of a way to communicate with like-minded individuals. When I see a bumper sticker of someone who has the same views as me, it makes me feel a little better inside and I hope that mine do the same. Not that I hate people with opposing views, I just think it is nice to see it being equally represented on every side.

12. 910chris profile image81
    910chrisposted 6 years ago

Most of the time I find them humorous, but then again some of those stickers are boderline racists. It does suck to find a car on the market you really want, then find bumber stickers you wouldn't be caught dead with!

13. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

We're living in a micromanaged society, one that not only seeks to transform everyone into a machine part but that, shockingly when you stop to think about it, reduces your value as a person to a three-digit credit score. People fight against that with attempts to state to the world that they're here, they're real, and they're themselves. Bumper stickers, tattoos, hairstyle, dress, most posts on the Internet ... look at them objectively. What you'll see are screams against the machine.

14. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

I don't find bumper stickers odd, Others can readily learn your viewpoints when stopped behind you at a light, so it's effective advertising. I just personally find them tacky (no pun intended.).

15. cyoung35 profile image87
    cyoung35posted 6 years ago

Some people want the whole world to know their opinion and as long as it doesn't hurt anyone why not.

16. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I am all about making your views known, in the proper mediums.

Having said that, I do have a hard time, imaging that I would pay 20-30 thousand dollars for a vehicle, and then.........

mark it with a 3 dollar bumper sticker!

Grease paint washes away easier, should I change my mind.........

While we are on the same basic topic..........we have all seen the vehicles, annoucing, " just married"................well, in June, I am going to write across my truck...............STILL MARRIED!

Perhaps, I am the oddball!

17. modgirlok profile image61
    modgirlokposted 6 years ago

I don't think the practice is odd, but sometimes I think the bumper stickers themselves are, hehe. I kind of enjoy seeing a bumper sticker that's amusing or thought provoking while sitting in boring traffic.

18. Gerg profile image78
    Gergposted 6 years ago

I'm with onegoodwoman:  "I do have a hard time, imaging that I would pay 20-30 thousand dollars for a vehicle, and then.........

mark it with a 3 dollar bumper sticker!"

Perhaps we should stick them on our butts for anyone walking behind us!  Wait, some people already do that ...

19. girlgonestrong profile image61
    girlgonestrongposted 6 years ago

Yes.  I'm always irritated when I see the COEXIST bumper stickers.  Total nonsense.  It's a call to tolerance at face value, but in the end, the truth is a lot darker.  I'm sure that a lot of people with less self-control are very much tempted to do something bad to the cars of people who have that sticker.

You can see the larger version of this picture here: http://www.jameswknox.net/store/images/ … _front.jpg

20. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

No--after all, I put my views in Hubs.  Sadly, the bumper stickers are probably read more!

21. ktrapp profile image97
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

Funny bumper stickers can brighten up a drab commute. Read about how bumper stickers came to be and the oddity of sharing thoughts on a bumper. read more

22. kwade tweeling profile image90
    kwade tweelingposted 6 years ago

I have always considered bumperstickers to be the place for the strange, silly, and mildly philosophical. This is partly because I witnessed many acts of vandalism on cars with heavily opinionated bumperstickers. I suppose the idea is that if you want to make a stand, be ready for the consequences. If you want people to leave your car alone, don't have opinionated statements (depending on where you are of course).

23. Freeway Flyer profile image91
    Freeway Flyerposted 5 years ago

People who do this seem to open their cars up to the possibility of vandalism. Since there are freaky people on all sides of the political spectrum, it may not be wise to express strong political views on such a valuable piece of property.

Personally, however, I don't have any problem with political bumper stickers. Freedom of expression is a good thing.

24. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

Yes, I do think it's odd when people have bumper stickers that are political or state their opinions, especially when they are negative messages.  I don't think a positive statement would be too bad, but a negative one, that can't do any good.