jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe there will be a significant global catastrophe in 2012?

1. wiserworld profile image93
    wiserworldposted 6 years ago

Do you believe there will be a significant global catastrophe in 2012?

2. biancaalice profile image61
    biancaaliceposted 6 years ago

Yes , created by the government with the HAARP machine that has been invented and exists to control the weather.

Remember the birds that fell out of the sky or the fish that floated up all burned up. It was harp, that's not a natural catastrophe. Now with all the series of Doomsday Preppers and The Colony, they have subconsciously put in our heads that something horrible is going to happen. But I guess we'll see, what day was itf December 21st, 2012. How convenient for the government to have a date when we'll have the worst storm ever and also have a machine to create weather (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc).

I knew someone who worked for NASA who talked about this, but now you can find it all over youtube.com.

or... there is the truth in the earth's axis is getting thrown off in which I think March 23 we're suppose to have another big catastrophe because that is when we pass by the mysterious planet again. You can see it in the sky near the sun if you have really good sunglasses. It looks like a black dot in the sun. It's crazy, I read a lot on this from scentist and what they are watching for. But we'll see when it comes!

3. Goody5 profile image70
    Goody5posted 6 years ago

By now just about everyone knows that the Mayan calendar ended on December 21st 2012, however no one really knows for sure why it ended on that specific date. One possibility is that the Mayan calendar maker passed away before he could finish the calendar that he was working on.  smile

4. Joelipoo profile image83
    Joelipooposted 6 years ago

It depends what you consider a significant global catastrophe.  I don't believe something like the world will end or one of those things that has been predicted.  As far as a catastrophe, we are just as likely to see hurricanes or some other naturual disaster just like any other year.

5. Angela Kane profile image76
    Angela Kaneposted 6 years ago

Yes I do, man made or not. I feel like we are overdue for one. They have been talking about a massive earthquake that could kill millions of people for years.

6. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

It depends on the word "significant."  Greece could still fall into a 'disorderly default' in 2012, quite easily, and that would affect the whole world's economy.  We could get smacked by some chunk of cosmic debris.  Or the sun could hiccup and sterilize the half of the globe facing it at the time.

The odds of any of these (other than Greek default) are awfully low.)

Oh, and we could elect a Republican President, House and Senate.  That would be tolerable in most respects, but would, in the current political climate, spell the end of any progress whatsoever on confronting climate change for a minimum of two years, and probably four.  It's time we can't afford to lose!

7. mobias profile image71
    mobiasposted 6 years ago

Points to ponder:
    There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 30, 2013.

So, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year...so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago...by these fear-mongering predictions.

The big earthquake, however, is looming fast in these parts of the country...

8. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

No, I don't believe there is anything significant about the year 2012.  All the theories about 2012 is certainly interesting in the sense like reading a science fiction novel.  Or like watching the move "2012" for entertainment.

But if you want to know the truth, read Wikipedia instead...

which says "Scholars from various disciplines have dismissed the idea of such cataclysmic events occurring in 2012."