jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Should those in the military be allowed to drink even if they are under age? Why

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Should those in the military be allowed to drink even if they are under age? Why or why not?

We allow men and women of the armed forces to serve our country and fight in conditions unbearable to most, yet we don't allow them to drink.  Do you think that literally being willing to give up your life for your country gives you that right, or is it because they would have to do it for all those over 18?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7265865_f260.jpg

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i think if you are old enough to kill someone for your country, you are sure as heck old enough to drink.

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  If you are old enough to kill and be killed there is nothing wrong with underage soldiers to have a drink.  I've even bought a few rounds.....Here's to you Thank you for your Service.

3. old albion profile image70
    old albionposted 5 years ago

I think it is correct that the servicemen do not drink. These 'men and women' are under stress in any case due to there duties. If an argument were to break out amongst them, what could be the heartbreaking outcome? Anger, bravado and a gun at your hip ( or easily to hand)  -  Imagine if a soldier who were to come on duty whilst under the influence and take control of a heavy vehicle. What might happen then?.
    Graham.

1. isenhower33 profile image77
      isenhower33posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Service men do drink lol They actually drink a lot. I never did when I was in but the forts are full of bars and stuff.

2. Charlu profile image81
      Charluposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I should have clarified when they are at home, even though I know a lot of it goes on while they are deployed.  Should they be allowed to come home after the hell they've endured walk into a bar and have a drink?

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I get what you are saying in principle. But should we set every law aside for them because they are soldiers? Soldiers have much fewer rights than the average American.

I'm not saying set aside every law, all I'm saying is should they be allowed to come home and have a beer or two.  Most (depending on the state) cannot even buy a fire arm, yet can you think of someone better trained to use them?

5. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

If you are old enough to put your life on the line you, should be old enough to enjoy every right every other legal adult enjoys.

6. Admiral Murrah profile image72
    Admiral Murrahposted 5 years ago

There is something ironic about how these men and women are 'fighting for our rights' , 'way of life' and 'American values', yet many of them are not allowed to drink. I find the situation of soldiers not having the same freedoms deplorable. It is also deplorable that at 18, they are fighting for us, yet are not old enough to purchase alcohol or a hand gun, even though they are dealing with firearms and protecting our freedoms on a daily basis.

At one point, in the mid to late 1970's they were able to drink at 18. Since then, there have been too many do-gooder nanny state politicians who passed meddlesome laws that make no sense. It says a lot about the intelligence of state legislators who pass laws that are not logically coherent (e.g. they do not make sense).

Agreed, and I think if your not old enough to drink (due to most thinking your not responsible enough) then you should not be old enough to deal with taking the lives of others and risking your own, especially if it's not your choice.

7. hockey8mn profile image76
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

I think if you can die for you country, you should at least be able to have a beer on your way.

8. howlermunkey profile image92
    howlermunkeyposted 5 years ago

Drink, Party, Awesome Vacation Time to their choice of location. ...whatever they want as long as they are "Off Duty".....These people are risking it all , day to day. As long as they are not on duty (where judgement has to be crystal clear for themselves, their team, and their environment, then yes, most definetly, "Drink and Be Merry, For Tomorrow......"

That was an easy one. I'm going to answer with another question................

How many people have served their country and are currently jobless? OR

****  What is the current percentage of homeless military Veterans? ****

working