jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why can't we americans admit when we are wrong?

1. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

Why can't we americans admit when we are wrong?

Bush and Obama have turned out to both be horrible presidents yet Bush supporters will not admit he failed and Obama supporters seem to have blinders on. Why is it so hard for us to admit we screwed up when voting?

2. mactavers profile image91
    mactaversposted 6 years ago

In a nutshell, American pride.  It's tough to balance a love of one's country, with the love of all mankind and their respective countries.  So many American motivational speakers and politicians feel obligated to keep reminding their audiences that, "We are number one." No one dares to remind the others around them that America is no longer number one on many things, therefore, we are not assessing so many social and political issues that need to be resolved.

3. EinderDarkwolf profile image61
    EinderDarkwolfposted 6 years ago

I started out hating Obama, and honestly I'm contently anti-government in it's current form. However, even I have come to realise that since power doesn't rest solely with the president, it doesn't do any good to blame him either way. Everything the president does has to go through congress and the senate. Instead of blaming Obama for his stuff not passing through those two houses, perhaps we should start blaming congress and the senate and putting the pressure on them, where it should've been in the first place.

4. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

Bush was a horrible president, and Obama is a horrible president?

Those are matters of opinion. Millions of Americans believe that G.W. Bush was a good president, and millions of others believe that Obama is a good president.

In my opinion, it is way off base to claim that "we screwed up when voting."

When a politician is elected to office, whether or not he will do a good job is a toss up. A president's performance is, in a large part, dictated by a wide range of unforeseen variables.

5. thecollecktor profile image71
    thecollecktorposted 5 years ago

Nobody likes to admit they are wrong.  It is far easier to put on blinders than to admit we screwed up.  With blinders on, we see what we want to see.   What we don't want to see we won't.    There probably is not one of us who can say both President Bush and Obama have failed miserably if we voted for them.   I voted for Bush believing he was the best choice available.   I voted against Obama not because McCain was the best choice.   Do I have more of a right to say Obama is a failure as president when Congress is as much to blame for the failure of the administration rather than failure of the role itself.    Would McCain have done better, I doubt it.   The circumstances these men found themselves in as President made it difficult to be popular which is what many signify as success.   In what way are they failures.  In what ways were they a success.   Your question implies they were complete failures and thus require an action on behalf of the voters to admit they screwed up.   What would have happened with the alternative.  Would we be better off?  No one knows and thus the reason there is no need to admit we screwed up.