jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Would you pick up a hitch hiker?

1. rfox21 profile image75
    rfox21posted 6 years ago

Would you pick up a hitch hiker?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

Probably not but I have never encountered that situation so I really do not know..

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

Yes as long as long as my children are not in the car and within reason. I tend to pick up couples or families I see walking quite a bit. I hesitate when it comes to single people.

4. blaeberry profile image60
    blaeberryposted 6 years ago

I did once, but only because he was a young guy wo was stranded in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday when there was no other transport.  It worked out ok but I woldn't do it again.  You just never know who you are picking up.

5. Xenonlit profile image62
    Xenonlitposted 6 years ago

Not unless I knew the hitch hiker very well. I would move on. If the person is in an isolated location, I would call the sheriff or highway patrol  and give the location.

6. moonfairy profile image78
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

No, I wouldn't. I often see them and wonder what circumstances they're in so that they need to hitchhike, and I feel sorry for some of them, but in this day and age I just don't think it's safe. If I were a guy, I might feel different.

7. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Nowadays you are taking an awful risk in picking up any hitchhiker. Several years ago, this seemed to be a safer thing to do, but there have been too many cases that have ended in tragedy when people have tried to lend a ride to what looked like a.harmless individual. It is simply too risky and should not be done in today's world.

8. profile image0
    Gusserposted 6 years ago

Sure--If someone needs help, I will always give them a lift.

9. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I don't care if they were in the desert or woods, no. There are many people that look "normal" who can do crazy things and not think twice about it. I can place a call to local authorities so they can assist. Even if they are with children or in a pair, you just cannot trust strangers.

10. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i always pick them up unless they look really dirty or drunk.

11. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

I used to pick up hitch hikers because I used to hitch hike myself-- (this was a long time ago in an area where I knew most people).  Then I had a weird experience giving a ride to a guy I knew by sight-- he didn't say one word, not hi or bye or anything and it creeped me out enough that it was the last time.

working