jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Is it true tthat adversity makes you stronger?

1. Joan King profile image71
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

Is it true tthat adversity makes you stronger?

What doesn't kill you is supposed to make you stronger. In your experience has adversity made you stronger or weaker?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Yes. While adversity can wear a person down, I find my strength in Jesus Christ. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippeans 4:13) "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10)

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5:3-5)

I believe this and try to keep it in mind. I think adversity can weaken us temporarily but in the long run makes us stronger. If it weren't for adversity I would not be the strong and empathetic woman I am today.

3. profile image61
    Virtually Boredposted 5 years ago

Only if you believe you're right and you sick to your convictions. If you persistantly go out of your way to avoid adversity, it shows weakness or at the very least, lack of conviction. Once adversity is a persistant feature of a relationship, whether personal or professional, well then its just down right obstinacy and not worth the effort.

4. remaniki profile image80
    remanikiposted 5 years ago

Yes, certainly. If life were a bed of roses, we would never know about suffering and the means to combat it. Only in times of adversity, we learn to fight the unpleasant situations we are in and come out of them stronger than ever before.

Life was very smooth for me for twenty plus years and when I was faced with several adversities, I fought them with optimism and courage and today I am a very strong-willed person, having found happiness and inner peace.

5. nihar2 profile image60
    nihar2posted 5 years ago

Adversity definitely teach a person a lot of things...which are of value addition to your life morals, unless until it destroys you fully it is always good.

6. IDB profile image38
    IDBposted 5 years ago

Yes it true, in your good time when you are enjoying that time you don't think of any problems which makes you wicker because that time you don't need to worry about any thing. But in time of adversity when problems has surrounded you that time you think to find a solution to get rid of your problems and then you try harder which makes you strong from both body and mind.So in times of adversity don't loose hope and your self stronger.

7. GypsyFootedWoman profile image76
    GypsyFootedWomanposted 5 years ago

I don’t think it always needs to be adversity, the thing we all need is change. Though I imagine a difficult change generaly gets classified as adversity.

Having to accommodate changes is what makes us adapt, learn and grow as human beings.

One of the worse things we can do for ourselves and our lives is get comfortable in our bubbles of familiarity and security.  Without the gentle pressure of change moving us forward, testing our limits and teaching us new ones we would stagnate and wither.

8. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Or gives you PTSD.
    Really depends specifically how much adversity, and at what level, you experience in your life between the ages of 13 and 18.

9. DREAM ON profile image82
    DREAM ONposted 5 years ago

Adversity challanges our beliefs and the way we live.It is part of life and can not be avoided.I think it makes us stronger and wiser.At different times of our lives it may seem impossible until we find a way through.Only in retrospect can I say I am a better person because of the challanges I faced.

10. glmclendon profile image59
    glmclendonposted 5 years ago

I think it will make you stronger if you put it in the lessons learned box. Not hate,but use this to your advantage. you won;t get in that position again..

Stay Well