jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

For non U.S. people, how do you feel about Obamacare?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

For non U.S. people, how do you feel about Obamacare?

personally I think it's a good idea and it's about time. the U.S. has the wealthiest people on earth by average but their health care is a joke. it's about time people can get proper care .

2. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 5 years ago

I think almost all non US citizens support it, I am sure many don't but  most of them/us come from countries where we can't imagine not being able to get care because we can't afford it and the idea that 45 000 people would die yearly because of it is unthinkable.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/ … hs-a-year/

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I think that any society that  lets people die because those people can't afford health care is very sad and needs to learn a lot about compasion.
    A National insurance system similar to the one in the UK would ensure basic care for all.  Ithink that the system in the UK falls down because some people, earn so much money that there is a ceiling on contributions and often the vast majority of their income is not counted for contributions.
    I'm sure that the USA can learn from the good and bad points of the system in the UK and make a better helth for all system.

4. CHRIS57 profile image60
    CHRIS57posted 5 years ago

A society must be judged on how the weakest members are treated. So for me the reforms initiated by Obama are overdue.
    Living in Europe, in a more lucky part of the continent, it is almost unbelievable for me that people in need are refrained for medical treatment because of insurance issues.

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image81
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I live in the UK. Nine months ago I fell heavily on a cobbled slope and smashed my knee up. I was taken straight to hospital and was operated on next morning. It was a very traumatic experience and I'm still hobbling. I couldn't work, so it was a good thing I got physiotherapy without charge. When I got home I looked for advice on Internet forums. I read of this man in the US who had a similar accident. He was in the hospital waiting for his insurance company to agree to pay for the same operation I had. He had been waiting for three days, worried sick. What a terrible situation to be in, lying there traumatized and probably in great pain not even knowing if you would get the surgery you need. What if the insurance company would not pay? No one should have to go through that. People should be given the health care they need and when they need it. How it's paid for needs to be worked out, but shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether you get it or not.  The NHS has intrinsic problems, but so does any system, the thing is to address them and minimize them.

6. Mercia Collins profile image71
    Mercia Collinsposted 5 years ago

I had a tooth abcess, some years ago. In the UK. I went to the nearest emergency dental department, got antibiotics and treatment straight away, to stop the swelling and pain. I went back a week later and the reason for the abscess was treated. All without charge.

A few weeks later, I was talking to an American lady on the web who was suffering from a tooth abscess and was in dreadful pain. She could not go to the emergency room because she did not have money to pay and no health insurance. She was trying to hold off the pain with over-the-counter painkillers.

That is the difference.

The United Kingdom NHS has been badly misrepresented to Americans. Their politicians made crazy and unwarranted claims about it and the way it works.

7. BJC profile image70
    BJCposted 5 years ago

It doesn't work.  Coming from a country that has a nationalized health system in place I can tell you it is a death sentence to people who need emergency care ASAP.  The waiting lists are too long and people die just waiting to be seen and/or for the procedure to be done.

In theory it's a great idea, but the reality is we all pay a price and places a huge burden on businesses.  It is a tax and to punish people if they choose not to buy in is ludicrous.

Medicare and Medicaid are already in place for lower income people.  Plus, if we should take responsibility for our own health and eat better and exercise more.

1. Mazzy Bolero profile image81
      Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I got emergency care from the NHS when I needed it, as explained above. A friend of mine has private health insurance. He went into a private hospital for an op. He later had an op on the NHS. He said the NHS treatment was much better.

2. BJC profile image70
      BJCposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Mazzy Bolero, I grew up with a NHS and lived with it for over 20 years and saw many atrocities happen due to the waiting list that many people were on.
      I'm glad you did get the treatment you needed.  We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

3. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Totally AGREE!

working