jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Voting on the color of skin.

1. DannyMaio profile image59
    DannyMaioposted 5 years ago

Voting on the color of skin.

95% of the African vote is for Obama, Is that racial? Please give your reasoning for your answer not just a yes or no. Also let us know what your race is. Thanks

2. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 5 years ago

Yes.
    Many blacks have explicitly said so. I think its a 15% difference with the average of blacks who vote for democrats.
    The cognoscenti can tell just by looking.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

No Africans vote for anyone in America. If you are interested in the Black vote, it has been strongly Democratic for about 50 years. Usually 80% or higher vote Democratic, and on several occasions they have voted in the 90s (Obama, Gore, Clinton, and Humphrey, I think). So no, they aren't voting for Obama because of his skin color. They are simply voting Democratic as they historically do.

4. lovemychris profile image66
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

African? Africans vote here? wow....
    I would bet that 95% of Africa voted for Bill Clinton too. It's the policies. When you put up McCain vs Obama, you had old guard vs new. Bomb Iran vs there are other ways. Let people suffer vs how can we help.
    These R candidates "to the manor born" will NEVER understand what the rest of America experiences. And they don't care to. They are content to satisfy the wealthy business interests. Maybe 95% of Africa thinks we need to care about the rest of us as well.
    I'm Swedish, Lithuanian. Swedish part was welcomed to America, Lithuanian part was treated like scum.

5. Dexter Yarbrough profile image81
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 5 years ago

"Africans" cannot votes in American elections, first of all. Secondly, Africa is a continent, not a country.

If you are speaking of voters who happen to be black and/or use the term "African-American" to self identify. Black people in America are Americans.

As for the question, black Americans voted for Obama because they felt that he identified and understood their needs and concerns. For many he is an inspiration. Black Americans don't vote just on race. Many cities and small towns with majority black American populations have politicians of other races leading government.

Moreover, black Americans have found it quite easy to vote for white Americans such as Clinton, Gore and Carter.

When whites don't vote for black candidates is that racial?

6. d.william profile image62
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

Good question but it goes both ways.  Did the white population vote against Obama because of the color or his skin?  I would bet there were more whites voting against him for that reason than there were blacks voting for him because of his color. 
    Ideally, it would be logical for the underdog and down trodden to vote for the candidate that best represents freedom and equality, but even that statement is not true in its entirety.
    People mainly vote for their party candidates and never even know what their views are on anything pertinent.

working