Your suggestions for Fixing the Economy

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (159 posts)
  1. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01900.html

In this Washington Post article it says that two-thirds of the stimulus went toward tax cuts, fiscal aid to states, and expanded unemployment benefits and food stamps. The stimulus also went to the $3 billion in National Science Foundation grants and the $10 billion for the National Institutes of Health. And much of the $19 billion for health information technology will not be spent until 2011

White House is  considering a pure public jobs proposal: giving money to states and cities to hire people to paint schools, board up vacant homes, staff child-care centers and reopen library branches. Workers would be paid the market wage. They suggest paying people lower-than-market wages, maybe $8 an hour, and reserve the jobs for those who really can't find better work. Instead of extending unemployment benefits over and over, the government would help people develop job skills and would get something in return.

America needs jobs now, what are your thoughts?

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cut corporate taxes in half.
      Cut foriegn aid.
      New Public jobs should be based on border/port security.
      Drill ANWR and all other domestic oil sources.
      All health care cost become tax deductible.

jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

CJ, I agree with all you points, except health care cost.  The costs are in line, when all is said and done doctors and nurses are not the ones making the profits.

1. profile image57

Making all medical expenses tax deductable doesn't punish doctors or nurses.... In fact making all medical expenses tax deductable would allow many people to live without health insurance. Therefore driving down its cost.

2. kverdasmith profile image59
        kverdasmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have got to be kidding.

3. ffrankbb profile image59
        ffrankbbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No publicly traded US company should be allowed to pay a bonus to anyone in any year in which the company does not show a profit.  Perhaps an exception can be made for a stellar division of an otherwise lackluster company, but somebody has to be actually making money for the company before they get a bonus.

No publicly traded US company should be allowed to pay it's highest paid executive more than 30 times what it pays it's least paid full-time-equivalent worker.

These two policies force companies to focus on results and on retaining earnings for productive activities such as R&D.

Management needs to stop working against labor and start working with labor.  It's quite obvious by now that the us vs. them attitude works against quality and productivity, thereby endangering every job in the company. 

NASA needs to be properly funded and directed to complete the ISS, develop and construct a permanent scientific and industrial base on the moon, and develop and construct the new vehicles needed for a run from the moon to the ISS to the US and back.  The effort will create tens of thousands of high value, high tech jobs and catapult the US back to world eminence in science and aerospace.

Automotive scrap yards contain most of the materials needed to construct low-cost, high quality, high yield wind mills and water wheels that will generate electricity on a small scale.  Distributed power, fed to the national grid from tens of thousands of small windmills, solar panels, and water wheels are safer, have a low to zero carbon footprint, and cannot be disrupted by an accident or terrorist attack.  I'm not writing about megawatt or larger units, these are each less than 10' across can be installed in a current home or small property for less than ten thousand dollars.  Tens of thousands more jobs created, along with a massive reduction in metallic and other waste.

2. profile image57

That statement is very deceptive.  Much of the tax breaks are offset by unfunded mandates turned over to the states via the expansion of unemployment benefits and food stamps.....

I didn't write that, I quoted it from the Washington Post, and it is true, what is it that you feel differs from the article, it's the same thing.

1. profile image57

I know you didn't write it. I was just making a comment about the statement.

2. profile image57

If stimulus monies went to tax breaks, they are really only temporary tax breaks, because eventually you will pay the taxes.
          For instance, the states took the stimulus money for lets say, unemployment benefits. Accepted monies today with increased requirements on those benifits to be payed out in the future. The fed will not increase their contribution, the state will have to increase their contribution to keep the accounts funded. Basically the fed's increase provided via stimulus is temporary, the state's increase is permanent. So you have a reduction of fed taxes that require an increase in state taxes to make up the difference. Kind of a "slight of hand" trick....I think we are on the same page here...

3. Neil Sperling profile image60
      Neil Sperlingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub "Pioneering the next economy" which is my beginning to my answer --- also I would agree 110% with Joer4X4.

Do a google search for "Wizards of money" -- and listen to at least the 1st 20 minute audio. (26 audio's available)

There is SO much wrong with the monetary system it is unbelievable.

1. profile image57

I agree with him as well. However getting back to the gold standard is about as likely as every single American giving up their credit cards.....

1. profile image0
          pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everybody is an amateur economist now. Even *real* economists are full of crap 80% of the time, so how likely is it that some guy tinkering with the international monetary supply and issues of fiat versus specie currency in his basement in his spare time holds the key to the universe???

Not very.

There was serious instability on the gold standard and the limited money supply caused problems between bust periods.

But why read history?

1. profile image57

Depends which hundred years of history you want to read doesn't it?  I don't see an unsolvable problem with limited money supply. Value by definition is finite. Should'nt the money system be as well?  I will agree that depending on only gold is probably a bad idea. However gold isn't the only item of constant value in the economy. There is oil, uranium, platnum as well. Maybe the answer is somewhere in between.  In other words so much of the currency must be backed by something tangible.

Having an opinion doesn't make you an amateur or an expert.

I wonder what the rest of world would think of us, if we pulled an OPEC on them....you know take over the oil industry.  Not the way we have tried to do it for years...puppet governments. Really do it. Drill everywhere possible. Flood the market. Crush other economies. Nope, not gonna do it. Americans have a strong sense of "fair play" one that the rest of the world has taken advantage of for a long time.

1. profile image0

No, having an opinion is not a bad thing. Sorry for going off on you. I have a 'Fix everything with the gold standard button' that's way too easy to push and you weren't even trying to push it, I'm just touchy today.

I'd like to see us just get off of oil and be a bit less of a world cop for a few decades. I think it will happen anyway because we are losing power and clout fast.

1. profile image57

No offense taken. I would like us to become less dependent on oil as well. However I believe that in order to do so we must first become energy independent.
                We have been playing world cop since the 50's.  It definitely needs to stop. Oil has played a huge role in this.

4. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Capitalism and Free Market, Opposite of Government Run Companies

1. Bovine Currency profile image61
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say forget the health funding forget the science funding, don't board up the homes, give them to the homeless, pay decent wages and tax the rich, eliminate the loop holes so they actually pay.  Dont cut tax, increase it, at the top.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So people who have been forclosed upon -- and are now homeless, should be given the homes? Or should they be given to people who don't even want to work?

1. ffrankbb profile image59
            ffrankbbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While I certainly want to see science and health care funding increased, I agree with Bovine Currency.  YES.  they should.  all these homes are sitting around empty, doing no one any good, becoming eyesores and crime magnets.  Give them to anyone who will live in them, and maintain them up to current codes, including "eyesore" provisions.  As those people get jobs again, they can begin to pay taxes, on a sliding scale until they are paying the going rate.  They owe nothing for the house, but when it is sold, the sale price is split three ways: the owners, the original lender, and the city.  Everybody wins.

2. Bovine Currency profile image61

Without giving you a direct answer.  I think if there was a proper tax system, limiting incomes of the rich, everyone should have a home.  I don't think homes should be so expensive, in the boom at a ratio well out of reach of a majority of citizens.  There are too many homes owned by investors, too many people with money they don't need.  Everyone deserves a roof over their head, no matter what.  Whether or not people want to work, if you give people a home and forget about everything else, it helps every1.  Some people might be lazy but I understand why.  Minimum wage is poverty wage and some are offended by that.  Some are offended enough that they would rather steal from the rich.  Fair enough.

5. Messenger_of_god8 profile image61
      Messenger_of_god8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you know what else i think would be a great idea is to have a online school program that has open access to all courses so people can learn anything they want but if they want the "degree" so they can work in that field then they pay ...that way more people would try different classes to really help decide what they want to be and more people would want to try and learn that way.... i think thats the best thing this country can do! ADG

2. jiberish profile image80

Here is one job created by Obama:

The 26-year-old son of Nation of Islam chieftain Louis Farrakhan gets a $63,000 government job as a “business manager” in C(r)ook County after the Nation of Islam-endorsed C(r)ook County Board president, Todd Stroger, wins his seat.

3. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

During the Great depression many public works were founded, allowing much to be accomplished that wasn't being done and many to be employed that were without jobs.

What we need to do is look around us and ask 'what needs to be done?' and then train and pay people to do it! Back in the 1930s, of the things we needed was roads ... I'm sure there is still a need for something today, we just need to think hard what it is Americans can do that would benefit us all ... then create a public works program to get the jobs done. smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

Of course I have 2 cents to throw in here smile

Then and now are incredibly different times. Back then social programs were limited to that which was provided by the churches and philanthropy. It was easier for the government to step in with programs and jobs as it was not overburdened with social programs (and bull roar) already. Can you imagine that generation having tolerating the expense to investigate Monica and the President? Can you picture that generation looking at our current funding (and debts) and giving their blessing?
        The generation that survived the great depression would tell us to get back to the basics of common sense, and then tell us to pull ourselves up by our boot straps. It is not up to Uncle Sam to make life perfect. We must get real.

OK  off the soap box, and very nice to be here, Holly

Even though I agree with you, can you imagine the uproar when you tell someone to 'go out and get a job' and fend for yourself?  This generation has been spoon fed, what would they do without their expensive cell phones and name brand clothes?  Cut back and save, why that unheard of.  the gov't isn't going to be the one who fixes this economy, but some will sit around and wait anyway.

2. Kidgas profile image64
        Kidgasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My grandfather (dad's dad) was born in 1900 and died in 1982 when I was 14.  I saw him shortly before he died in the hospital, but he was incoherent.  About 3 months before that, we saw him in Detroit (visiting from Indy).  He took me aside, looked me in the eye and gave me a long discourse of advice.

One of the things he stressed was the value of hard work and fending for oneself.  He admonished me NEVER to take a handout from the government, to NEVER go on welfare or unemployment.  If anybody in the family ever needs anything, the family should take care of it.  No one else.

I can say that NONE of his kids or grandkids has taken any handouts.  I will try to stress the importance of hard work to my kids and grandkids as well.  I have worked 3 jobs at times, but have managed to abide by his wishes. 

I am thankful for my and my family's health that has enabled this.  I understand that it would difficult to do this had I not been so fortunate physically and don't want anyone to think that there aren't circumstances where people might need assistance greater than can be provided by members of a family.

Problem is I know several people who are "unemployed" and simply refuse to even bother to look for a job preferring to live off the public.  They can't pay for rent or food but can buy a new cell phone.  Definitely something wrong with that picture.

1. profile image0
          Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What about the millions of Americans who have worked their whole lives paying in taxes and fees, only to lose their jobs over the past year as one business after another has shut their doors in bankruptcy and failure? What about those Americans who have exhausted whole savings accounts in the fruitless search for jobs in areas where there simply aren't any? What about them, is that your advice "Go find a job." I challenge you to quit your job and go find one since they are so plentiful. better yet come here where actual unemployment is now at 43% of the entire counties population. I have worked my whole life since the age of 15, serving eight years in the Marines, and yes working several jobs at once all the while paying for millions to do nothing now though when millions like me need the very benefits we have paid for all these years, your advice is go get a job. Do you honestly think I enjoy being broke and hungry, for your info, I shut my phone and cable off long ago, I ride a bike and walk anywhere I need to go, I scour the area for jobs every day only to be told they can't afford to pay the employees they have let alone hire new ones. remarks like yours are not only offensive to millions of hard working Americans but indicative to just how clueless the majority are to how bad it really is getting for 40 Million Americans. But what do I know, guess I'm just a lazy bum, who needs to get a job.

1. Kidgas profile image64

Scott,
            I stated that there are circumstances where individuals need the help of the government.  It sounds like you are a responsible individual who is out doing everything that you can do.

Unfortunately the individuals I have direct contact with are neither looking nor accepting positions and work that they have been offered.  I even know of someone who gave up a well paying job so that he could pay less child support.

I agree that the people who have paid into the system should be supported by the system when they need it.  I am not meaning to offend hard-working Americans.  Maybe I only know lazy Americans who can't seem to get off the couch. 

Although I should say that I do know of one individual who works very hard to support his family doing everything he can despite the odds against him.  But, in my limited sample 1 out of 10 is a minority.  If I can add you to that total, that would make 2 out of 11.

1. profile image0

I know what you meant, and the point was that you are using your limited personal experience and associations to generalize millions of people who defy this generalization, that's the problem. I am not one out of ten, but one of millions in a nation of millions. This issue is growing to involve a huge proportion of the population, but the prevailing opinion of many Americans is that many of these people are just lazy and looking for a free ride, because they only consider what they see with their own two eyes. This attitude is literally screwing all of us out here trying in vain to get work, not only do we have to overcome a scarcity of jobs but a growing view that we are also lazy and undeserving of work. I can't collect unemployment because I did not work in the state I now reside last year. So there is no relief for me, my family has opened their home to me but that is all they can do as they too struggle just to pay for gas, and food. Its so easy to have critical opinions of the jobless and unemployed while you enjoy the privilege of work and income. It would be interesting to see how harsh you are when you lose your own job and can't find another because your area's economy didn't just recede but collapse.

Truly my knowledge is limited as is my personal experience in this area.  Thank you for opening my eyes.  I am grateful to the internet for making the world a smaller place and allowing me to learn more about the world around me.

I apologize for my ignorant comments and lack of sensitivity.  I wish you luck in your schooling, and I wish the best to your family who is helping you in these times.

1. profile image0

I know you weren't trying to be hurtful or insulting, but the issue is things are just so much worse then many know, and getting worse. The claims about economic rebound are ridiculous when viewed with the continually growing unemployment every month. The government harps on reductions in claims but ignores the fact that no matter if the number of new claims went down by 13,000 that still means 500,000 jobs still vanished, as long as they keep vanishing nothing is improving. When they can start telling us about the 500,000 new jobs being added each month, then we can celebrate. People can't spend if they have no money, and no job. Every month this nation and economy is losing another thousands more jobs while those being added number less then a thousand. it's a numbers game that is grossly unmatched and largely being ignored. reported unemployment by the government is 10.2% or roughly 30 million. Actual rates being reported by states figuring in not only those who are filing claims but the actual number of those who are jobless is closer to 20-40% depending on region and state. that means, almost 60-100 million Americans are actually jobless and this number grows literally weekly.

I agree that things are getting worse, and the reality is worse than many are willing to admit.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
              Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. Pollyannalana profile image59
      Pollyannalanaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about something like the CC camps, that worked, didn't it? These men had a place to live and food to eat and many went on to do great things, and it certainly beats begging on the streets with no where to even keep warm this winter. I think I read they made money they sent home to help their families? Am I right on that, been awhile since I read about it but the work they did still stands today. Where I live the places that had beds and meals for these people are out of room and out of money, we need to all wake up before we are right there beside them. Maybe they could put them to building affordable housing and have workers growing our own foods and making our own clothes and all things that would replace importing, bring our jobs back to America!

Here in Australia, every voter is on an electoral roll and that list can be accessed by any citizen at the electoral agency.  Maybe America has a similar process?  If I ever was so desperate for money, would I find a problem with tracking down a filthy rich business owner, researching all his moral discrepancies and taking some of what he doesn't need?  By force if necessary?  Maybe not.  Better than begging or working for the dole and sleeping in a flop house.

That is the psychology of crime and I do not apologise for it but I do sympathise.  There are no innocents.

4. jiberish profile image80

The problem now is that we sent our manufacturing jobs to China, not to mention that the new Cap & Trade will tax the existing companies out of a job.  Food stamps, unemployment compensation, and a government check of $250 is not a job!  Infrastructure only employed a few extras.  We could start drilling and build refineries, but oh, I forgot, we will soon not be dependent on Oil......right!

1. profile image57

An even bigger problem is that the Republicans don't seem interested in getting manufacturing jobs back in the US. McCain so stated in 2008.

Drilling for oil is a great way to jumpstart the economy. Creates tons of jobs. Ranging from cooks to nurses to engineers to janitors. Lots of upside.

At this point I have lost respect for both parties.  I am a conservative first, Republicans are no better than the Dems these days.  I hear no outcry from them, except one or two, but they are rarely publicized. 

Allowing oil companies to drill where there is oil would be a novel idea.

5. joer4x4 profile image61
    joer4x4posted 14 years ago

You can't fix the economy until you fix your unit of money. If I were in power (and it's ashame I'm not - lol) I go back on the  gold standard immediately.

We are buying products with worthless paper, no wonder everything has risen in cost over the last 30-40 years.

When the dollor is worth its paper then you have a starting point to fix all else - including health care.

Other countries would hate us because we're not following them any longer and we  would be immediately richer. But who cares.

After that stablizes, I would abolish the Fed and the Federal Reserve Note and move over to pure silver and gold. I would set the weight and measure as to its value and the states can mint all the coins they what.

The result, gold would come down and stablize, you would have "real" money that is worth more than we have now, and you would get the best bang for your buck!

We could buy a lot more Chinese Yuan with gold and quickly pay the China loans decreasing our natinal debt.

Having silver and gold coin as the only legal money (BTW it is the only legal money) the value would be self stablizing. With the value fixed it would be worth the same no matter how much you coin because it has real value. No more recessions and depressions.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All excellent points - you must be a Ron Paul supporter smile

2. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That last part is not strictly true.  While you'd not have the problems with monetary inflation like we do today, if we kept the fractional reserve bank model, we'd still be vulnerable to bank runs and failures.  A better idea would be to issue gold and silver backed currency with only fully reserve banks chartered.  Then we'd not have to worry about bank runs.

1. joer4x4 profile image61
        joer4x4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No Reserve model and no government interference. If the banks stand on their own, they would make more solvent loans knowing their own business model is at risk.

As long as paper money is used politicians can easily change its value and it would be viewed by most as a price increase of products sold. The dirty secret is that prices increase. It's a lie. It's the devaluation of the currency which decreases buying power and makes it appear that prices increase.

Using gold coin, that is not so easily accomplished. Any change in value would be immediate and drastic.

What cost only 5 cents in 1913 now cost one dollar. Yet it doesn't take any more resources to make the same product. The dollar has lost 95% of its value.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Sell the liberals to the arabs. It's a win-win deal! We get the money we need and the liberals get to help the arabs on their road to "Progresive Town"!

Very funny, but I'm sure you just "offended" someone, maybe the Arabs....smile

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn I did it again! Will you forgive me?

7. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

I would do the following.

1. End the energy crisis by supporting the development of hydrogen based energy to be combined with current technology.

2. Stop the trade imbalance with other countries through tarrifs and tax incentives for business to produce domestically.

3. Withdraw monetary support for Israel and any other country that recieves money while conducting wars.

4. Support agricultural initiatives to create more food that we could trade to other nations who cannot compete with our capacities.

5. End the wars we are conducting and take the money we save from it to support a health plan in this country.

6. Support the research and technology through grants to explore space and thus creating an advantage with regard to new technology and private enterprise.

7. Create tax and spend legislation that will force congress to become fiscally responsible with our money.

8. kverdasmith profile image59
    kverdasmithposted 14 years ago

The monetary system is the root of the problem...Get rid of money and hey you solve the money problems. I couldn't help myself...in general we need to manage our own finances better and quit supporting the entities that ruin lives.

9. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi Jiberish,

Oh yes, this generation has indeed been spoonfed - and all sugar at that. lol

I admit a sudden change would be too much all at once, but to get where we need to be steps have to be taken, and current attitudes need adjusting (like braces) to bring it in line.

People have a major conflict that they expect their government to provide everything they feel they deserve. (The expectations need a reality check, and some perseverance can be an excellent teacher). But also those who look to the government to provide everything should figure out that they give up as much for it. It is a choice.

This generation is unfamiliar with sacrifice. How many would donate their pots & pans to provide protection for our troops? They can't even band together to help out the soldiers families while the soldier is in combat. How many feel a sense of obligation to their fellow human being? They have evolved from a sense of community to just screaming at someone else (the government) to somehow provide. I am fearful of the attitudes their offspring are forming as it can only be even further distorted.

I think if our goverment just said no to all the handouts that are out of hand - we would be better off in the long run. Much alse would have to change with it, but it would be worth it IMHO smile

Holly

10. joer4x4 profile image61

Public works were only a few temporary jobs and unemployment remained high until the war. The depression ended in 1946 when government stopped spending because the war was over freeing up the private sector.

I say end the handouts. Over 95% of those who get handouts don't need it and are cheating the system.

But then again it is in the interest of politicians to create and keep drones.

We are following the same path that put us in the Great Depression. More regulation creating higher taxes, product prices, and politically based spending.

Throw in the debt for a recipe of disaster.

I imagine that since Obama convinced China to buy our debt they will present him with a list of demands while he's over there. The word is that Obama gave China some missile technology already.

Once our dollar fails we loose our clout and we will be subservient to other countries and vulnerable to attack.

11. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Watch this and see how you are all being played:

http://video.markpknowles.com/the-money-masters

Scary how easy it is to turn us against each other. sad

12. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

The best suggestion I have heard lately came in a forwarded email:
    =========================
    There recently was an article in the  St. Petersburg Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on:  "How Would You Fix the Economy?"
    This may be the right answer:
      _____

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy.  Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force.  Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.  Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR.  Forty million cars ordered : Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage : Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes.

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'f they do, both will be fixed pronto!
    =======================

That is quite possibly the best suggestion any of us will ever know.

GIT R DUN smile

13. h.a.borcich profile image61

Hi,

Yes, the Great Depression was preceeded by a great financial fall out. Seems there was funny business and shadey things going on with stocks and investments, greed and ....hmmm seems much like what we have been leading up to in recent years.
      Also I have understood the programs were started to end the depression but were not intended to be a long term deal. I think the politicians logic and long term vision was obscurred by ego stroking.
       Somehow we threw the common sense out the window. Aww, heck, you know I have thoughts about that too, but I'll save it for another day smile

As far as the politicians and the drones, we must look for change. I refuse to accept that we have corrupt officials exploiting a nation that is beyond the reaches of the people. We just need to take steps and demand change.

And money. The value of money. This problem is also impacted by more than a few issues. We have immigrants sending all their tax free funds back home never to return. We have illegal aliens gutting our jobs and sucking dry programs that were intended to help Americans. We buy foreign products blindly. Our balance in trade is way off. Oh gee - this could be a hub in itself. Well - much is at fault and needs to be changed before we self destruct.

This forum is very stimulating and insightful. As a disclaimer though I make no promise to be politically correct. I do value the opinions and opportunity to freely dialogue. Thank a veteran we have the right. Holly

14. Bovine Currency profile image61
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

On another note,

isn't the economy already fixed tongue

15. Presigo profile image61
    Presigoposted 14 years ago

America needs jobs, this is the truth, but can we continue to make it up as we go. We need to create an environment where the free market, I.E. us creates the jobs, refference the 80's recovery as opposed to the great depression where the government invented jobs, we need growth now !

I am glad you brought up the 80's. Somehow I view that era as a bandaid we applied. Admittedly I am no expert and was coming of age then, but apparently that era didn't do much to halt the process to get here.

When a life gaurd is out to save a drowning person, the first rule is to protect yourself. If we are to be a catalyst for world economy it would reason we need self preservation. I cannot imagine stabilizing our economy without first stopping the detours from common sense. Chaos perpetuates chaos. I still believe we have something to be learned in going as far back as the depression.

Just an opinion, Holly

16. Bovine Currency profile image61

There are some critical notes hit here.  As an outsider, I have always had a mixed impression about America.  It produces some great talents and I have met many friendly people.  I don't doubt that it is full of friendly people but there is something wrong.  America, from a statistical point of view is not so worse off as some countries but the figures make it look better than it is.  The reality being that on paper, even though America has suffered major financial loss, what keeps the books above water is stockpiling.  Im not going to be technical.  This is just what I see.  America is clearly suffering from a huge social disaster but still there is the same voice of dissent at social intervention.  The free market doesn't look after people, it looks after banks, corporations and the wigs of power.  I am sad for the real America.  I don't like US politics or corporate philosophy or the false patriotism of some.  I feel sorry for the people.  The economy truly is fixed but it is still broken.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Smart Australian cow.

Actually, this whole thread makes me angry.

17. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Not to bug you, Scott...  But I think you can collect unemployment from the state you last worked in.  You may want to check with Ralph Deeds, a hubber here who is pretty knowledgeable about these things.

As for the rest of it, straight on!

1. profile image0

No unfortunately I can't, but I did look into it though. Additionally I can't collect unemployment in the state I live in because even though I was laid off, it was before the end of my 90 day probationary period, and as I was only worked a total of 39.5 hours each week I was not a full-time employee, added to the fact that I worked in another state last year, despite having worked in this state for the eight years previous when i was not on deployment. The loopholes and conditions in this state are extremely convoluted and absurd, but it doesn't matter as the capitol just announced that even with the federal extension, the state literally cannot afford to pay out anymore in benefits, the fund is bankrupt and been overcome by the tidal wave of new claims this past six months. My next hope is my tax return in January, ironically I have yet to receive any of the stimulus money from the last 3 years. the IRS said they literally don't know where it went!! Go figure.

1. profile image0

Well...that sucks.  Are you in the south or the rust belt or something?

Arizona's economy is always a challenge, because it is so based on development, construction and tourism...but then again, we are kinda used to it here, too.

If (if) you can travel and do construction or have any oil or engineering experience, I know, from my bf (from TX and former drilling engineer in the army) there are jobs in TX.  Also, Sneakorocksolid here has related the same thing...  But of course it all depends on your situation.

1. profile image0

I do live in the south and unfortunately travel is not an option, as I said my savings are gone and my bank account empty. I ride a bike and walk because I had to let my car insurance lapse when the money ran out, so that went too. I had initially applied for a diving school in the spring to work with the oil industry but they closed admissions when the oil companies put on a hiring freeze in June because of growing economic problems. Like many people at first i had thought about moving to an area with better employment outlook but now it appears this winter will see no area left untouched by the issue as many businesses and companies are global and national, bad business in one state or a nation , can shut down a factory in another.

18. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

For fixing the economy, everybody has a take on it, in microeconomics, everybody needs to save and better themselves, live below your means...explore, study and improve yourself and be innovative, and for the macroeconomics, for the people in the government to have senses and forget politics, reduce taxes and let the markets work on its own with minimum supervision

19. h.a.borcich profile image61

Hi again,

Scott I did not make an attack on your situation. You assumed a heck of a lot there. I spoke in generalities.

For your information:

I have worked minimum wage jobs and raised a son without government help or flippin child support. I have worked my arse off doing some back breaking work. We did not have cells and cable but we had enough.
      My son fought in Iraq and has turned out to be a man of solid values. Thank you for your military service.
      Unfortunately I cannot take you up on the dare to quit my job and try to go on.
      I worked until I was diagnosed with advanced cancer. My employer let me go after surgery and before chemo. My medical bills are 3 times my social security benefits. I get those benefits (which I paid into all my life)as I am not expected to live and I am only 44.

I have lost my ability to work like a dog as I have in the past, so I am trying to find out if I can support myself with the mind God gave me, and write.

Forgive me for not being aware and sensitive that you have a rough spot. What I would give to be able to ride a bicycle to work. To have an opportunity for a better tomarrow is something you should appreciate.

Athing else you would care to flippin assume about me? Holly

1. profile image0

Speaking of assumptions learn to read before you reply, I've been talking to Kidgas, yes you can leave your apology here.

Had I been replying to you, my response would have appeared directly under your text not his, but as to your generalities though, you're right I guess my second and third reply did relate to you though.

20. h.a.borcich profile image61

Scott,

I should apologize for typing while others were posting?

Your demand I appreciate your situation is amazing for you cannot even appreciate what others are going through.
          Holly

1. profile image0

Sorry about what you are going through, Holly.  I don't think many here can even imagine.

Mark Knowles...a few posts above, does have a point. sad

2. profile image0

Almost 50 minutes from my first reply to Kidgas, to your comment towards me, and you say you were just typing while others reply. I haven't demanded anything but people re-frame from making generalizations about people they have no knowledge of or a situation they are not in. I never said anything about your situation one way or the other, in fact i never addressed you or your post until you came at me, the one demanding their situation be respected is you, get a clue, you inserted yourself into a conversation and continue to do so. Point is are you unemployed and jobless because of this economy, if not then who are you to comment on what these people need to do or to characterize their work ethic or values? You turned an entire conversation not involving you onto yourself, how desperate for attention can you be? I made a response to another poster he replied we talked, and now here you are....

21. h.a.borcich profile image61

Scott,

My posting was my opinion to suggestions for the economy. You quoted my post and ranted how your situation was being lumped in. I typed a response. When it posted you had several responses already posted.I may be slow at typing, but that is how it is.

Point is I am not unemployed because of the economy.

How ignorant that you accuse me of being desperate for attention. I was giving my opinion on the US economy before you took it personal. How pathetic you cannot appreciate your health and feel justified lamenting about having to ride a bicycle.

I am done with this thread.

22. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Well, I'm in Canada, but.... the economic situation is pretty much the same here as in America. A lot of people are on some kind of benefits program, either because they can't work or can't find work that will support them. 

I am on maternity leave, and am not able to go back to the minimum-wage-paying degrading job/boss I used to work for, so I find myself in a bind.  I nurse/pump, so I can't work a regular job.... even with pumping, I'd have to take a 15 minute break every three hours to pump, so my milk supply doesn't dry up.  Feeding her formula isn't ideal, and it's frankly very expensive. I have a hard time finding work that will allow me to do what I need to, to feed my child.

So, I decided to start a business, and I'd heard that the government here will help fund people who are on benefits to start a new business.  You apply and get accepted and they put you in a 56-week course and pay you $300 a week.  Sounds good, right?

Well.  They only let you into the course IF you can prove on paper that you have exhausted all your potential minimum-wage-making job opportunities.  And, they don't care about why you can't work a regular job, no matter if it concerns taking care of your motherly duties.  If you can find a minimum wage job that you technically qualify for, they won't let you into the course.  So.... they want you to start a business, but only if you can't fill a minimum wage job working for someone else.  Nevermind that your business may invest in the economy, or create jobs in the future.

My way of helping the economy?  Make it easier for people on benefits to create a business, and thus create work for themselves and potentially other people too.  You never know, a small business may eventually become a big business.

23. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

England is making the same mistakes, instead of making rebates, give tax cuts.

24. Mark Knowles profile image59

Sadly this discussion has been polarized - by the powers that be.

You have all been fooled, fooled fooled into arguing over whether or not people who are not prepared to work should get the houses and where the real problem lies.

The problem was caused by over extending non-existent credit.

Who extended this credit?

The banks - using money that did not exist and with the full agreement and encouragement of the Federal Reserve.

Who foreclosed on these properties? The banks - using money printed by the Federal Reserve that does not exist.

Who foots the bill? The American Taxpayer.

Who now owns the properties? The Banks.

It might surprise you to hear this - but the banks now own 22 million foreclosed residential properties. Which is nothing to what they will own by the end of the commercial property crash which is not happening.

Watch this film to understand why and how. 

http://video.markpknowles.com/the-money-masters

If these properties hit the market - every American would be able to afford their own home. And we don't want that do we?

Sanctioned robbery

Mark,
      I watched the entire video (all 3 hrs 35 min) yesterday in stages between football.  Very interesting.  I knew several of the facts presented but was especially shocked by the 1913 passage of the Federal Reserve Act.  I knew it was right before Christmas but only 3 senators.  WOW!

Anyway, what are you doing in a practical sense armed with this knowledge.  Just wanting to get your thoughts.  Thanks.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sold my property in the US and UK 2004/6. Bought some physical gold. In the process of a move into the country where I can grow some of my own food and make some of my own electricity. Basically keeping my head down without opting out completely. Will buy a piece of property when the timing is right as far as price goes. Devaluation is ongoing but it is a question of timing devaluation with inflation.

Bad things are coming and I do not see a way of stopping them. The stock market is going to ruin a lot of people next year I think.

There is no easy answer because the problem is so world wide, but I do not see a non-violent fix. It is almost as though people are forced to consume and you cannot escape the taxes the government inc needs to levy to pay the debts. sad

1. profile image0

I agree with this. Few people want to hear it but it's the truth.

Thanks.

Sounds like Harry Dent.  At least the timing of what you are suggesting seems to coordinate with his predictions.

25. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Get a new president, his teleprompter would do a better job than he's doing.

And vote the dems out of office.

There you go - another sucker who thinks the politicians make the decisions and quite prepared to ignore the last 12 years that preceded this year.  .lol lol

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I'm so sorry that my criticism of the president hurt your feelings lol

Mark it isn't worth the bother.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOL

I said from before he was elected that he would carry on doing exactly what the previous incumbents did and would not "fix the problem."

You are the one that is dumb enough to have been persuaded that attacking him is where your efforts should be spent. Why would you demonstrating your ignorance hurt my feelings? I don't care what you say about the President.

You completely missed the point I made.

Again, I apologize that my criticism about the president hurt your feelings enough that you chose make a remark calling me dumb.  That it would elicit that kind of reaction tells me that I hit a nerve.

Again, I feel so bad that my criticism about the great community organizer has got you upset!

lol lol lol

lol lol

Like I said - I do not care what you say about the President. As far as I am concerned Obama is just another lying scumbag politician out to line his own pockets at the expense of the taxpayer.

You have not listened to a word I have said because you are ignorant of where the real problem is and are not interested in finding out.

That is pretty dumb all right.

I hope that made you feel better.

lol

Ah - so you are another troll with nothing to say? OK

lol lol

big_smile

2. Flightkeeper profile image67

I guess you could say I took lessons from you. smile

26. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

No one ever talks about what kind of jobs, where, how? The U.S. farmed out its manufacturing sector and now relies heavily on the financial industry and on service sector jobs. Most of these jobs are low paid jobs. Many have few or no benefits and no health insurance.

About 44% of the homeless made at least $300 working in the month before ending up on the street. About one third of the homeless are families with small children who live in cars. The elderly and the working poor, along with families and single mothers with small children are the fastest-growing homeless populations.

My point is, we don't just need jobs, we need GOOD jobs and we don't have them. We can jack the money around and crucify the Fed and argue about the gold standard, but until we get a LONG RANGE plan that will generate jobs that pay enough to live indoors, the economy will not improve for most of us. The fact is, the U.S. is a world power in decline and no one wants to face this---we've got the rah rah neo-cons and tea baggers on the right and the so-called socialists on the left but nobody is talking sense if you ask me, which you did.

Also, this 'get a job' crap IS highly offensive and hateful. In Michigan there are NO JOBS. I don't mean no good jobs. I mean NO JOBS. It's like whenever you tell people something horrible--half or more want to call you a liar until you say something they want to hear.

27. profile image0

PS--I've worked my whole life, and hard too, and what do I have to show for it? Problems and a sick dog. And a sick man too. Bill is on his third hospitalization in a month and as many surgeries after working his ASS off for 20 years for the same company. As a reward, they cut his pay this year (they cut all the workers who got to stay) cut his benefits, cut is 401k and retirement plan, and now, if he doesn't get well and soon (which it appears he won't) they will likely find a way to get rid of him three and half years before retirement.

It's what they do.

The hospital bills will be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and he can't get Medicare for six more years.

So don't tell me about the virtues of hard work and sucking it up. Save your lectures for someone else with no heart cells.

28. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well Good Morning! And whats the solution for the US problems today? It would be nice to have a real leader but we'll just have to pretend for awhile longer. If I ever hear deregulation again it will be too soon! The government should provide over-sight not ownership. To bring the manufacturing jobs back home we need to level the playing field on all imported goods. No tax breaks on imported manufactured goods and no forgien policy deals that sell us down the river. If anyone feels that industry and buisness will behave ethically on their own should have learned that lesson and the only group more out of control is our government. Have a nice day!smile

1. profile image0

OMG I actually agree with about 80% of what you say here.

Now I know I'm in the twilight zone.

I often wonder what it would be like if we all were face to face. A different game altogether I bet.

Online, it's all "you're a jerk!" and "No you are!" and "No your mother is!"

And so forth.

I'm just sitting here at the hospital waiting for another surgery for Bill and trying not to go {more} insane.

Face to face? pgrundy.  I know what would happen.  Some people would be very quiet.  I would make sure of that.

The way some people rattle on, the ones with the most to say would have nothing to say in real life.  In second position on most active in political forums as of yesterday was tksensei, need i say more.

1. profile image0

Hey, but what does a cow know?

True.  I am but a cow.

1. profile image0

Nothing wrong with cows. smile

1. profile image0

You date cows too?smile

1. profile image0

No but I've been called a cow.

A few of my relatives have helped a sheep or two over a fence.

2. profile image0

Well that wouldn't apply to me I'm very social and I'll be polite to a point.

1. profile image0

That was my thought, that most people would be more polite and probably keep more to themselves.

I would.

29. Bovine Currency profile image61

I am an Indian cow.  I only date royalty.

1. profile image0

Party pooper.

30. Mark Knowles profile image59

I have dated a few cows.

I didn't know they were cows until later. They were in disguise as sexy, available, well balanced women with no issues. sad

1. profile image0

Well it only proves your human.smile

2. Bovine Currency profile image61

Know plenty of those.

I am a royal cow, I am only so cruel because I am naive to the struggle of all those so much lower than I tongue

3. profile image0

OMG and you didn't run?????????

Mark, I thought you were smart. Only the big head, huh?

They were very well disguised. sad It took me a few years to work out an appropriate application process. I almost started taking a questionnaire along on first dates. lol

Just fill this in while I order you a drink.........

1. profile image0

I know for a fact you are only semi-joking, because when I was doing the dating thing I started to call them 'interviews.' Not one guy ever asked me about myself--they all showed up with this list of skills and personality traits required and started interviewing and taking notes.

Ironically, Bill and I started as pen pals and I'd go over each interview and he'd give a thumbs up or down.

LOL

I am only semi joking. My perspective was a little different though. I really, really wanted to know about them. I was more interested in that than finding one to fit a pre determined skill set. More a case of, "Do you feel your father looked after you when you were a child?"

No?

ciao. lol

I dont believe in fairies.  Everyone has their issues.  The dark secrets don't expose themselves in interviews.

the hot ones unforunately have at least as many.

They do when you learn to ask the right questions. And listen to the answers. wink

I've picked that up now Mark.  Just saving for the snip

2. profile image0

LOL!

Yeah we all wish people came with warning labels.

I always try to be blunt about mine early on if things look like they are going somewhere. My warning label would be "Space Ranger. No mechanical aptitude. Horrifying inbred family of married first cousins. Spooks and runs easily."

If guys get past that they're either 1) desperate or 2) been around the block a couple of times themselves. #2 is what I'm after.

I think I am usually number 2.  Makes it hard.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOL

My preferred one would be, "Daddy issues. Never really got over the fact that he left me to fend for myself one winter and bad things happened. Hate it that you smoke and drink but will wait until I know you a lot better to try and get you to change that.  Tendency towards manic depression, but I am having a really good day." big_smile

Sometimes I think people can read minds.  My stars said we will never work, I love you but can't you see you are always wrong. yes i am listening to you but are you listening to me. you never listen to me. no dont leave. you always want sex. we haven't had sex for 2 weeks. you want to have sex? no.  hmmmmmmmmmmmm  Daddy problems

2. profile image0

Is that your warning label or the one you are looking for?

If it's the one you are looking for, I can definitely hook you up. I know TONS of women with that warning label. big_smile

LOL

I know TONS of women with that warning label too.

Unfortunately. sad

It is the one they hide the best. wink

31. profile image0

Very soon matches and food will be worth more than money. You can use the matches (if you can get them) to burn the money to keep warm.

32. secondreview profile image60
    secondreviewposted 14 years ago

It'all about selling something to the rest of the world and right now North America is selling very little and buying from everywhere but mostly china.  There are vast number of things to do to help fix the economy.   

The number one thing though is raise the duty on imports high.  This will set the whole ball rolling. If necessary break or adjust the Asia-Pacific trade agreements.  Domestic products will become competitive.  Jobs will not be outsourced that easily.  Manufacturers will start producing and the rest of the world will jump like an acrobat so that they do not lose those precious american dollars.   

A country's strength and prosperity is on what they make, create and produce and how much they sell.  All else falls into place.

1. profile image0

That was really well said. I agree with this. We can create stability on service sector jobs and financial products.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your bold proposal.  But how do you get by the political/Big Business stranglehold that wants it to be this way?

1. profile image57

By hiring politicians that will take this issue on. Not ones who run on psuedo issues of abortion and gun controll.

Didn't someone get shot last time they tried that.

1. profile image57

Maybe, lots of people get shot over money though.

So you understand my suggestion?

1. profile image57

Outlaw money?

More or less.  Not going to happen though is it.

2. rhamson profile image71

"hiring politicians" lol I like your style.  I think that is great but which slime do we hire and how much will it cost?  What about the slime he leaves in your pocket that once held money?

1. profile image57

Definitely shows the change in thinking we need to experience. Its almost like when we use the word "Elect" it means they rule us. When our founding documents suggest the opposite. Thats why I like the word "Hire" better. Unfortunately, semantics at best....

2. profile image57

Maybe we need term limits.....nope, there is no substitute for active citizenship.

1. rhamson profile image71

You know there are a lot of great ideas out there to combat the lunacy that governs us.  The question always comes down to not what but how.  How do we expedite self rule again inspite of the politicians hold on the process.  Maybe Poppa Blues is right and a consitutional convention needs to be conviened to oust the slime and change the rules by which they are elected.  How can we put it together because all of our differences seem to keep us apart?

No - this is what I was trying to explain earlier.

We have been fooled into thinking our differences are important.  The politicians are not running the USA - the federal reserve and the banks are. wink

Does it really make any difference who is in power? LOL Not one bit. Watch that film I linked to.

1. rhamson profile image71

I will try to see the film but I don't have time now.  I agree to a certain extent with your reasonings but we still have the vote.  As much as they (politicians) try it is something we still hold over the system.  Many people do not exercise it but it can still make a difference if it is united.

I disagree. What are your alternative? Candidate 1a or 1b. Both of whom will do the same thing.

What difference will national health care make? Zip.

A debt free monetary system where the money is issued by the people for the people? Ah - now you are talking. smile Why? - because it takes away the need for income taxes to pay the debts - which never get paid.

The federal reserve is a privately owned company and is holding the entire nation to ransom. And we have been persuaded to fight over abortion and other crap. sad

2. profile image57

"We have been fooled into thinking our differences are important." 

Dam....I thought we were supposed to be celebrating diversity....LOL

3. profile image57

Totally agree with you.

33. Bovine Currency profile image61

I think we are all forgetting the only issue here.  Economics dont run politics.  Politicians do.

34. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I say put an end to income tax.  Instead, put a flat tax on all goods and services.  That way the more you buy, the more you pay.  Evenmore though, everyone (including all of the people here illeagally) have to pay tax when they buy things.  This way you don't get raped if you have fought to excel to get a job that pays well, but no one gets a free ride either.  It's simple, the more you want the more you pay.

35. Bovine Currency profile image61

Basic mathematics,

1,000,000 / 99 = 10101

10101 X 100,000,000 = 1 010 100 000 000

989 899 X 35000 = 34 646 465 000

The figures are just an estimate.

Say 1,000,000 people. 1% with income 100,000,000 a year

989,899 peopl on 35K a year

Look at the ration and then consider income tax.

36. Bovine Currency profile image61

All politicians are mugs

37. spartanking1978 profile image61
    spartanking1978posted 14 years ago

Basically, we need to analyze are trade, based on the US gross-domestic-product(GDP) we are broke, are we not?

Back in the day, when a man had to actually produce something of value to trade for another man's goods and services, we had it right when we bartered. Now, the solution is to print currency that has no real trade value. Unfortunately, it is a solution that will quickly turn sour.

Sorry no. That has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with what backs your currency - debts which must be paid by the taxpayer.

1. spartanking1978 profile image61
        spartanking1978posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Debts that are based on our GDP...

38. joer4x4 profile image61

It's really simple and not as complex as they like you to believe. However it has been made hugely complex by politicians, lawyers, and a whole bunch of special interest.

If there is a few of anything worth while it is expensive. That's why a - say a - Picaso is very expensive.

If there is something worth while that has a large distribution, it is inexpensive becasue you can get it anywhere.

Gold works because it has limited distribution and it will be that way because its hard to find, mine, and process to make it pure.

Look at the price of gold today. It's continuing to rise not due the falling dollar though indirectly. It's rising because it is rare and so many are buying it. The rich are buying so they can keep their spending power.

This isn't complex ecomonics - it's common sense and the way the markets have worked for centuries.

Someone said something a while back (to the effect) that gold doesn't work historically. Well, you have to have it first before it can work.

If that was a reference to the colonies, they had no gold becasue England didn't want thenm to have it. England wanted them to use the pound and they refused. Plus each state printed their own mmoney which wasn't accepted by the next state.

This is our problem today but on a far grander scale.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)