jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

Have you ever voted by absentee ballot? (What were the circumstances that caused

1. Daisy Mariposa profile image87
    Daisy Mariposaposted 5 years ago

Have you ever voted by absentee ballot? (What were the circumstances that caused you to do so?)

My polling place in California is a neighbor's garage. The voting booths are large cardboard boxes with black plastic trash bags for curtains. After voting in this manner one year, I applied for, and received, permanent absentee voter status. Now, I receive my ballot at home a few weeks before each election.

2. Sunshine625 profile image94
    Sunshine625posted 5 years ago

Yes I have, because I lack patience for long lines and I prefer to vote early.
    As a matter of fact I was just emailing the absentee ballot link to a few friends when I read your question.
    In Florida to request a ballot you could do so here...
    http://election.dos.state.fl.us/SOE/sup … ctions.asp
    Be sure and VOTE y'all.

3. hopped profile image85
    hoppedposted 5 years ago

I voted by absentee ballot my second year away at college.  Later, I realized I would rather vote in the community where I lived, so I've registered and gone to vote live wherever I've lived since.  I don't mind waiting; I think it's part of the process.

I've never had problems with my voting locations though--I might reconsider if the conditions were like yours.

4. adjkp25 profile image93
    adjkp25posted 5 years ago

We live in California as well and have been permanent absentee voters for a while now.  At first it was convenience when the kids were little but now we appreciate the fact that we can take our time at home deciding what we want to vote for and then just slap a stamp on it.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

We have voted absentee for years now.   It is more convenient, and allows us to get our voting done at our leisure, in comfort, seated at the table, instead of worrying about a line behind us, which could cause an error in marking the ballot, from trying to hurry.
    Because my husband is disabled and I have a bum knee, all the standing at the polling place became a problem.
    But the real perk, is how fast we can get rid of telephone canvassers calling to 'ask support for this, that or the other measure or candidate.'  ...There's no argument they can offer to, "We already voted."

1. Daisy Mariposa profile image87
      Daisy Mariposaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ms. Lizzy, isn't it wonderful getting the canvassers off the line by saying "I've already voted"? They don't know how to react to that statement.

6. rcrumple profile image82
    rcrumpleposted 5 years ago

Yes.  Was overseas in the military.  If I was going to fight for my country, I felt it my duty to vote.

7. cherylone profile image93
    cheryloneposted 5 years ago

Yes, it was, unfortunately a difficult time because my sister was having heart surgery that day so we both voted absentee ballot--gladly her surgery went well and I will be voting regularly this year.  I never knew you could apply for permanent absentee ballots, I think I might check into that one.

8. dahoglund profile image80
    dahoglundposted 5 years ago

I used an absentee ballot in the last election because we had commitments to be out of town on election day. It is the only time I have used one.

9. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 5 years ago

Hi Miss Daisy,

Once upon a time I was a soldier for 23 years so I have to answer with a respounding YES.  Cardboard box voting sounds a bit Left Coast.

The Frog Prince

10. rfmoran profile image89
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

Yes. At sea with the US Navy. We had absentee ballots on board and they were shipped out on the carrier's mail plane.

11. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

I have voted this absentee ballot but never in a presidential election. It has just worked out that way for me.

12. Chad Thiele profile image71
    Chad Thieleposted 5 years ago

Not yet. But, it is something that I have thought about doing.

13. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I live outside the United States and have applied for absentee ballot because I'm not flying back just to vote.

14. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image99
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 5 years ago

Once, when I got married and we were on our honeymoon we missed the election.  No problem though, just filled out my ballot before hand.  Painless and simple.

working