jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What would happen if everyone in the country decided to not pay taxes this year?

1. Sonneborn profile image60
    Sonnebornposted 5 years ago

What would happen if everyone in the country decided to not pay taxes this year?

I think we should try it

2. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

It wouldn't work.  Most of us have taxes taken out of our paychecks.  Then we file our tax returns and many get a tax refund.  Even if we stopped paying now, with only 2 months left, it would probably have little impact.  At least some, if not all, of what we didn't pay would be the refund we would be getting back.
    But, maybe we can make it our New Year's resolution;-))

3. jpcmc profile image91
    jpcmcposted 5 years ago

Theoretically speaking there will be a record high happiness rating.  Once the economy gets the initial shock of not paying taxes, everything will crumble.  After the brief happiness comes the long and enduring unhappiness and stress.

1. DS Duby profile image93
      DS Dubyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

my thoughts exactly

4. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

The private federal reserve bank would not like it. That's where the IRS sends your money.

The 99% would likely go to the new FEMA camps, unless the 1% needed their skills. And the 1% would not be incarcerated because they're above the law.

In America, we reward the rich law breakers with bailouts. Though occasionally they do throw one of their members to the wolves as a token sacrifice.

5. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 5 years ago

Not a decision.

But probably what would happen is total anarchy followed by martial law: Tax supported public sector businesses would fail, people would lose jobs, unemployment would rise, roads would remain unfinished, infrastructural would suffer... May not see the effects right away, but it'll happen. This country is too reliant on the government to live without it.

6. profile image0
    matama ellieposted 5 years ago

Lord i would like to see that. Recently in Kenya, the members of parliament fought a losing battle to increase their send-off package when half the country is cannot even afford some basic needs. this suggestion if it could be implemented would have been an interesting way of teaching them a lesson(They pay taxes on only a quarter of their salaries).
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to do so effectively .The good thing is that the elections are around the corner, and we are going to kick most of them out.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Maybe...but I would prefer to see what happens if everyone threw their TVs out the window and didn't watch it for a year. Think of that chain reaction.

working