jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Why do we have to have "fact checkers"?

1. IDONO profile image79
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Why do we have to have "fact checkers"?

Isn't that stating that we don't trust either of these guys?  Maybe we should hook them to polygraphs. Afterall, there would be no spin and partisanship. The media couldn't condemn it for butting in and it wouldn't lie to the voter. If they lie, they get zapped. The bigger the lie, the bigger the zap.
         Are they fact checkers or spin checkers?  Most Americans don't know that 3 plus -2 =1.  Not 5. They know that but prey on those people.
         A spin is a lie in my book.  We are paying millions of dollars to these people to prove if the future leaders of our country are lying. That's sad.

2. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

I would love to see politicians get zapped for lying, But a polygraph only works if you have a reaction when lying, politicians do it so naturally it probably would not pick up one.

1. IDONO profile image79
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're probably right. I wonder who Obama's sweat coach is? O.J?

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

All politicians lie to get what they want, even though they know they are lying and what they are saying more than likely can't be done. Their main goal is to get elected. No matter how many lies they have to tell. If Pinocchio were true, there would be some HUGE honkers in Washington.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

4. kathleenkat profile image80
    kathleenkatposted 5 years ago

I don't trust fact checkers anymore than I trust politicians.

I'll decide for myself, thank you very much.

5. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 5 years ago

This question comes at a time, that strikes me as being particulary funny.

Just this morning, I was viewing ( an older) show, done by Howard Stern, of whom, I am not a particular fan.    But I did appreciate this one.

His 'spoof' on the public was to exchange the platform that John McCain ran on, for the Obama platform.    Almost every single person, interviewed on the streets, hailed the platform...............thinking that it belonged to Mr. Obama.

The masses are led by media 'entertainers'.     

They knew the political jokes of the day, that Sarah Palin's unmarried daughter was pregnant, what the RNC spent on her wardrobe........but none of them knew the names of:

Jerimiah Wright, Nancy Pelosi, Bill Ayres, or the Muslim Brotherhood, ACORN............NONE of them had " heard" of these people or groups.

People are easily influenced and swayed.

I can't deny, that I have not been, myself...........so, yes, we need the " fact checkers".....to keep the records straight.

There are far more " spin doctors " than there are honest and open people.   We need that check mate!

1. IDONO profile image79
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Unfortunately, I think the "fact checkers" and the "spin doctors" are the same people.

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

Because if politicans don't lie outright they get just as close to a lie as they can to make whatever point they are trying to make.  It is our job to hold their feet to the fire.  I say, the more fact checkers the better because I don't always have access to the facts to measure their comments by.

Power corrupts.