jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think of women in law enforcement and as soldiers?

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

What do you think of women in law enforcement and as soldiers?

personally, I think such jobs are for men. I have seen time and again where a woman cop was overpowered by a male suspect, sometimes fatally so. while male cops can also be overpowered it happens far less. law enforcement, firefighting and soldiery is a mans place and takes a mans physical strength...what do you think.

2. profile image0
    il Scetticoposted 5 years ago

While it is biologically proven that men and women think differently, they still have the same mental capacities.  There is no mental job for police officers or soldiers that a woman shouldn't be able to do.  There are, however, many physical differences between men and women that definitely should not be ignored.  Men are biologically born stronger in the ways that law enforcement and military need.

I believe, however, that it should not be confined to "men and women," but that standardized tests should be given that both genders have to pass to be able to make it into physically demanding jobs where other peoples lives and freedoms are at stake.  Even though men biologically tend to be built stronger, there are definitely women out there who are willing, and very much able to serve law enforcement and military.  There are just much fewer of them.

3. Yadiz Ortiz profile image61
    Yadiz Ortizposted 5 years ago

I believe that physiologically, men are obviously stronger than women, though I've seen some questionable incidents myself. However, being in law enforcement as a female, I would have to say that it is 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical. Many situations can be diffused by way of words. I've seen it go both ways where women have withstood harsher situations than a man and vice versa.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I disagree with the opinion that women officers get over-powered more often than their male counterparts. A woman can be just as capable of meeting the physical demands of any male dominated career as a man. Her performance is based on training and, as Scettico said, the requirements should be the same whether the employee is male or female. If she can't handle it, she should be fired. The same is true for her male co-workers.

I can't address any specifics about women in law enforcement, but I can when it comes to emergency medicine and the military. Not to brag, but in both of those, I more often than not out performed my fellow EMTs and soldiers. And I'm no Amazon (I'm 5'6" and weight 110 lbs).

working