jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Do you own anything made of ivory?

1. Gina145 profile image83
    Gina145posted 5 years ago

Do you own anything made of ivory?

Antique ivory can be highly collectable and very valuable.  However rising concerns about conservation have made the manufacture of new items made of ivory unacceptable.
    Do you still own anything made of ivory?

2. Goody5 profile image78
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

The only thing that I can think of is I use to have a pool table with ivory balls, but that's long gone. Keep on hubbing  smile

3. cat on a soapbox profile image99
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Yes, I have a couple of very old small ivory curios: a snuff box and a figurative sealing wax stamp. I would not buy anything made of ivory and am adamantly opposed to the slaughter of animals for tusks and horns.  We have renewable sources for carving from tagua nuts, aka "vegetable ivory."

Gina145posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree entirely.  I've got some antique ivory that I bought when I was less aware of such issues.  But I have no intention of adding to the collection.

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

I would never want to own any ivory or any kind of object or fashion piece that came from a wild creature. This I would find abhorrent. Furs, ivory, skins, claws, teeth etc etc etc belong in a different age and should be put into museums where we could go once in a while and remind ourselves how stupid and greedy and violent a species we are.

Gina145posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Many people are starting to think that way now.  Unfortunately far too many still do not.  That's why my country (South Africa) is having such a huge problem trying to control rhino poaching before the rhinoceros becomes extinct.

working