jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Would you ever consider giving up your citizenship?

1. Novel Treasure profile image89
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

Would you ever consider giving up your citizenship?

Why or Why Not

2. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 5 years ago

A person's citizenship is an accident. No one can pick the country where s/he is born. What follows is an objective assessment of that particular country's benefits and liabilities. If the former exceed the latter, then keeping that citizenship is obviously the way to go. If, however, the liabilities outnumber the benefits, then it's time to pack up. Personally, Mr. Romney's election would have me looking northward toward Canada, but it would take something far more heinous to convince me to surrender my US citizenship . . . like a second term for Mitt.

1. kathleenkat profile image82
      kathleenkatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That terrible, huh?

3. rfmoran profile image90
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

I could not fathom giving up my American citizenship Although the current administration is driving toward a European collectivist society, there is enough of American Exceptionalism left in the country to prevent that from occurring. My citizenship is a valued gift that I did not choose, but one for which I can only be thankful.

1. lone77star profile image83
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, but the more our presidents and congress shred the Constitution, the valuable gift becomes cheaper and cheaper -- more like Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia. And that breaks my heart. The Rockefellers and Rothschilds are winning.

4. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 5 years ago

Probably not. It would just complicate things.

For instance, to gain German citizenship, one must have German blood. Kid at my college decided he'd become a German, because his grandmother was from Germany. Well, they wouldn't let him leave Germany until he served his 2 years in the military, as is required for male German citizens...

5. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

I'm Greek-American residing in Greece the past 30 years. Giving up my American citizenship would be denying one of the most wonderful periods of my life. It would be denying a part of my identity. No, I would never give it up. It's all I have of a country I grew to love since I could not afford in the past nor will I afford in the future to visit again. It is not obvious but I'm a born Greek and a naturalized American citizen. Perhaps we should not become so attached to places but it is a part of our appreciation of all the goodness we've experienced and that comes from the people.

1. lone77star profile image83
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Attached to places or flags, no. But loving the people, yes. Love is what will save us -- not our bodies, but our souls.

6. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

In the 1930s, there were numerous citizens who gave up their German citizenships because of Hitler's rise to power and the atrocities he and his thugs committed.

I see the same thing happening in America.

I see police seizing property based on false tips so that they can sell the property and pad their budget. I see Americans being detained indefinitely without charges, access to an attorney, without a trial and without a phone call. I see that it's now a felony to protest what the government is doing.

I see President Barry Soetoro Obama creating a "Kill List" which includes Americans -- bang, you're dead, without a trial. I see one president after another slowly shredding the Constitution -- like the proverbial frog in cold water, being brought to a boil; Americans don't feel the heat.

I see the presidential election process becoming a dictatorial script as shown in the following 2 short videos:

RNC Scripted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

DNC Scripted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmaE2Aez_XY

Americans have been lulled to sleep by the Corporate Party propaganda machine, and become stupid with the distractions of Dems vs Reps, and similar divisiveness.

Like a Madison Avenue snow job, we're being sold a certain way of thinking -- playing on our fears and desires, but incapable of thinking critically. A few people actually get it, but too few to save America from the machine of greed and lust for world-wide power -- the Rockefellers, Rothschilds and their ilk.

Until a year ago, I was asleep like most other Americans. Heck, I even believed the Bush "conspiracy theory" about 9/11. The facts prove otherwise.

Yes, I'd consider giving up my citizenship. And it breaks my heart to see America slip into oblivion, while most people remain oblivious.

1. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Of course, you're right about everything you say, but giving up the citizenship of the country you were born in, to me, is like denying your parents. Too hard.

7. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Nope.

I love to be a Singapore citizen. It is the best country that I live in. It is the life that I want for my children growing up and settling down.

8. rouilliewilkerson profile image61
    rouilliewilkersonposted 5 years ago

Every single day...every day. And did I mention every day?

9. ThompsonPen profile image80
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Nope. I have duel citizenship as it is, and I see them both as pass to certain parts of the world. I would not give up that freedom. As it is, I can work any where in Europe, Australia, Canada, the US and the UK. My biggest fear is not being able to go where I want to  go, when I want to go.

working