Why did Obama concentrate on Obamacare and not the economy like he promised?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Cassie Smith profile image61
    Cassie Smithposted 11 years ago

Why did Obama concentrate on Obamacare and not the economy like he promised?

Obama admitted to the Des Moines Register that he ignored the economy for Obamacare and he had no regrets.  Obama said that he was thwarted by republicans who threatened to filibuster him.  How can the Republicans filibuster him when they weren't the majority in the House or the Senate when he started his term?  He keeps saying you should vote for someone who's trustworthy.  Didn't he just show that he's not trustworthy?

2. The Frog Prince profile image72
    The Frog Princeposted 11 years ago

He wanted his name on his "signature piece of legislation."  He just made it plain to the Des Moines Register that he has no regrets about not concentrating on the economy his first two years in office.  He is a classic study in narcissistic personality disorder Cassie.

Cassie Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Frog, yes I read about Obama trying to keep that info out on your wonderful hub.  And I also read your hub on NPD.  Obama does seem affllicted with it.  But can we pin it all to NPD or is he such an undercover communist that he can't help himself.

3. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 11 years ago

I think every President wants to be known for accomplishing something. I'm guessing that he was so determined to be the President that did something with healthcare that he was blinded by his goal and not what was best for the American people. Unfortunately, the job of President should be about doing what's best for the American people and not having your own agenda. It's very sad and has negatively impacted so many families.

Cassie Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So true fitmom, but he could have been given the credit for turning the US economy around if he focused on that instead of Obamacare and putting us into deeper debt.

2. The Frog Prince profile image72
      The Frog Princeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand his motivation myself fitmom but not his putting the American public's interests in front of his own "self-interests."

3. fitmom profile image73
      fitmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know, Cassie Smith and The Frog Prince. I completely agree! Very sad.

4. profile image0
    Billie Paglioloposted 11 years ago

This is an excellent question and one that Progressives on the far left as I am also ask.  In my view, there are several reasons:  1. I think we can compare Obama's actions to working on a Soduku puzzle - you fill in the square that you think can be filled in so that you find the answer for the next square.  Sometimes you misjudge the number that fits  because you forgot to look at the squares around you.  Obama expected to not have so much resistence in Congress to his plan. I think he thought it would be finished in a year! That's a mistake. (Hardly a mistake like Nixon's tapping in the Whitehouse or Bush's misjudgment of Al Quada or his call on Iraq, but let's not go there)  2. We're not MERELY in an economic recession/depression.  I don't know why that's not being articulated better. We're in a situation similar to the Industrial Revolution.  You have only to look at the internet for even sligtht examples. Newspapers are no longer needed, book publishing is at a low, advertising has shifted to the internet.  EVERYTHING is changing. We can't thresh grain by beating it on the threshing floor any longer if our world is going to survive. Parts are made with cadcam operators.  My father's job in the factory in the 50s has long been obsolete.  My husband, a presently employed software engineer who knows 12 coding languages and has 40 years of experience has to update his skills with new languages like C# and Objective C or get lost in the shuffle.  He's dancing as fast as he can to keep up.  That's not Obama's fault.  3. Economies aren't fixed in a day, a week, or even four years. They run a natural course and those dips were extremely exaccerbated by conditions that brought about this particular disastrous state of affairs. Our President, yours and mine, elected by the people, takes the long view.  Do I wish he would have set up FDR type programs at the outset of this administration?  Yes, I do,  but I can see why he didn't do that. He's not a band-aid kind of guy. He's futuristic because he is young and has young children.  Do I wish he had forced banks to refinance the houses they foreclosed on with vigor?  Of course I do. Do I wish that we had brought Osama Bin Laden to the world court instead of killing him?  Certainly.  Do I recognize that given the learning curve Romney will require if elected will be a huge waste of time and his lack of understanding of how those of us at the bottom function will make the gap between us all much bigger?  Yes I do.

5. junko profile image70
    junkoposted 11 years ago

Healthcare cost is one big drivers of the economy. He spent his political capital where he had the support of the people. There were too many blue and yellow dogs conservatives democrats to not let the republicans take control of that agenda at that time..

6. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

The really odd thing about Obama wanting Obamacare to be his "signature piece of legislation" is that it is a crap piece of legislation no matter how you look at it and he wasn't even involved in writing it - he left that up to Reid, Pelosi and their "ghost" writers. What honest politician would want this (Google: Obamacare Summed Up in One Sentence) on his legacy?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)