jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever taken steps to consciously try to better yourself as a person?

1. tjhooper profile image76
    tjhooperposted 5 years ago

Have you ever taken steps to consciously try to better yourself as a person?

If so, what did you do?

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. I always do that. By reading leadership books, keeping a dream wall to help me achieve more, writing hubs about methods I'm attempting to keep with me for life, etc.

3. Kimberly Vaughn profile image85
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

I set goals for myself to improve all the time. It might be for thinking more positively, not saying negative things about people, exercising, spending less time with electronics, reading the bible more, meditating and praying more, doing more to protect the environment, or reading about inspirational people like Gandhi or Mother Teresa to reflect on ways I can improve.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Been at it for most of my adult life.  How?  Reading books on Spirituality, Humanistic Psychology, New Age.   Into serious meditation (Vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka) for twenty-six years now.   Lots of self-improvement books read, plus attending the odd workshop.   

Been a member of Toastmasters International on and off since 1972 and am still in it.

Trying to consciously make ourselves a better person really means a search within ourselves - Self Discovery.   You won't find it outside.  It's an inside job.

5. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Yes. 12 of them. When I started attending AA. Only 1 of those steps involves alcohol. Step 1.  The rest are a guide to become a better person both socially and spiritually which is missing while in the throws of any addiction. This program taught me to keep life as simple as you can and to progress in life without it being at the expense of someone else. It's not a bible thumping, born again pity party like so many think. It doesn't promise to make life great. But it sure makes it a lot easier to deal with. We are our own worst enemies, you know.

6. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Exercising regularly, going to college and trying things I haven't done before are just three of the things I've done. I've also been working on becoming more assertive because I am one of those people with the "disease to please."

7. loyalsudz profile image60
    loyalsudzposted 5 years ago

I recently added Remedy Service/Help Desk software to my repertoire of software skills.  I needed to take 6 courses, 4 of which had to be completed within a two week period.  I worked really hard and completed all the courses and now I am going to be providing a lunch and learn training session on the material.  I am little nervous about speaking in public but I have decided to give it my all because I really love what I am doing.  I wrote procedures for the training materials and I will spend part of this weekend practicing for the training session aloud.   Next stop is a public speaking course, and I may even decide to join a local toastmasters.