jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Given Hurricane Katrina and the blame for it placed on George W Bush ,........w

1. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Given Hurricane Katrina and the blame for it placed on George W  Bush ,........who

will be blamed for Sandy and the fact that they still don't have power or  homes for so many  ,Seeing how  Fema  performance  seems to be attached to an administration ? Is Obama to blame ?

2. GNelson profile image78
    GNelsonposted 5 years ago

Power companies repair power.  FEMA's response to Sandy was better than FEMA's response to Katrina for a lot of reasons.  Blame falls where it falls.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

President Bush should be blamed for Sandy...Who else ???

FEMA's response to Sandy has been just as bad as Katrina.  They closed there office in Staten Island a week after the hurricane due to bad weather.  That's like calling the police and they tell you that they can't come because it's a bad neighborhood.  God Help Us....Because the Gov't sure can't.

1. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well said. And it seems that legislated compassion is an oxymoron. It usually ends up making things worse. Bureaucracy, corruption and tyranny.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
      LandmarkWealthposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates". –Tacitus

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

The blame will go where the blame is due. FEMA is as non sufficient as it was during Katrina. Also the power companies I'm sure are filling the heat at a great extent.

5. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

The problem with FEMA goes back to making is a sub-department of Homeland Security, so it doesn't have the President's ear. Bush, I'm afraid.

In general, all power companies are doing their best, but some have better management techniques for disaster response than others.

The real, underlying issues are much greater than either. Our population continues to increase; we are building on land that is routinely flooded every 100 or 75 years, global climate change is a reality that will make that more frequent, and the economic collapse and Federal deficit means that we simply can't afford to rebuild the way we used to.

I'm open to assigning responsibility and helping agencies and companies do better. I don't believe in blame. I also don't believe that we are entitled to safety, or that the weather is to blame. We are living in the society we have created, and it is up to us - each and all - to accept it as it is, and make it better.

My wife is a Katrina survivor - 6 days in the Superdome - and I've lived through my share of crises. I have great compassion for those who suffer. But real solutions begin with a complete overhaul, not of government, or even of society, but of our own hearts and minds.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Why does somebody have to be blamed for a natural disaster that was so huge and so terrible that 8000 electrical workers who have come to the area from all over the US are not numerous enough to fix the problems as quickly as people would like. 

This disaster is nothing like Katrina was,and the government has done the best they can to help with the problem, but the logistics are huge here and only time will get things up and running again.

1. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here's another perspective: Samdy had nothing to do with the problems we have now. It was a routine event that happens every few decades. All damage and costs are the results of poor planning, preparation and engineering for an inevitable event.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
      LandmarkWealthposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They've done all they Can...Like sending home workers who came up to help out from other states because they weren't union members while the citizens sit in the dark.

7. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Why "blame" anyone?

Take 100% responsibility for your situation, no matter who took action or inaction.

Don't depend on and then blame anyone! Take responsibility. With 100% responsibility, you can no longer ever be a victim. Imagine that!

Governments are never a solution. They become bloated, bureaucratic, corrupt and tyrannical. America's government is no exception, despite its beautiful, but now tattered Constitution. It was an imperfect document, at best, but far more beautiful than any previous constitution.

Now, we have bureaus upon bureaus, agencies upon agencies and corruption upon corruption.

The best thing we can do to change the corruption is to walk away. Don't give it any more of your power. Stop worrying about it. Be happy. For then you will attract more happiness. That's the real power of the individual.

The talk of secession is interesting, but likely won't go anywhere, because it needs millions of votes per state. The fact that 50 states have issued petitions brings up an interesting idea. What if the federal government rules only the District of Columbia. What a tiny country! No more resources. Tons of ill-begotten debt and no ability to pay it off. Comical.

We've bent to the fear mongering of corporate lobbyist led government for more than a century and it is destroying the country. Time to be independent, again! Time to walk away from the fear mongering, the lies and the tyranny.

The government continues to break the contract with the American people. We pledge our allegiance to the Republic which is based upon the Constitution, but the government has continually shredded that Constitution. If one party breaks a contract, does the other party have to abide by it?

But perhaps the better way to "secede" is to boycott Corporations, because they get their power from our dollars. Starve them out. And build a new country. It's time for a new, peaceful revolution.