jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you believe New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is too fat to be President of

1. KevinC9998 profile image78
    KevinC9998posted 5 years ago

Do you believe New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is too fat to be President of the United States?

I intend to write a Hub about how a person's appearance plays a role in our perception.

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

William Howard Taft and Grover Cleveland were both portly men, as president. But neither had to face a media barrage. I would, however, not disqualify Christie because of his weight.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No.  Yes, a person's appearance can affect how they are perceived - on the surface and then it is our job to look beyond that to at what the person is made of so-to-speak.

4. e-five profile image97
    e-fiveposted 5 years ago

Too fat?  Maybe.  Too unhealthy?  Yes.  Christie has had to use a car to drive him 100 yards instead of walking.  Source:  http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 … ons_h.html 

On top of his weight, he has chronic asthma, and has been hospitalized for it in the past two years after nearly collapsing.  Source:  http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 … _afte.html

Taft (whom I believe was trimmer than Christie) lost 80 pounds after leaving office and lived to be 72 in the less streesful job of Supreme Court Justice.  Cleveland lived to be 71.  But the Presidency was a lot less stressful before World War II. 

We've seen how Presidents have aged quickly from the stress in office. Christie would be 54 if he were to be elected in 2016. With his morbid obesity and chronic asthma, adding all that extra stress seems unwise.

5. violetheaven profile image60
    violetheavenposted 5 years ago

I think anyone who thinks so is a bigot.    I don't want Chris Christie anywhere near the office for other reasons..... political reasons.    Not anything to do with his appearance.

6. peanutroaster profile image71
    peanutroasterposted 4 years ago

Too much of a bully and too much of a liar.  Is there no limit to how far he would go.  He'll probably be in jail before the next election.