jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think the United States should get rid of the penny?

1. MisterShives profile image59
    MisterShivesposted 5 years ago

Do you think the United States should get rid of the penny?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

No. In my opinion the penny is necessary for collecting the correct amount of change. If the penny was done way with? Then what would we do, round it off?

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually the penny is made almost completely out of zinc. Only around 2% is copper.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

They could probably stop producing new ones, since there are already so many millions of them in circulation... if they stopped making them tomorrow, we probably wouldn't even notice a difference for a couple of years (at least!)...

4. Goody5 profile image68
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

No, and here's a good hub on Canada losing it's precious penny - http://kangayankeedoo.hubpages.com/hub/ … ered-Penny

5. Gcrhoads64 profile image97
    Gcrhoads64posted 5 years ago

Yes. It costs too much to produce. After a few years, we wouldn't even notice. Can you even buy anything for a penny anymore?

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not really. All of those pennies add up. Sure, they are heavy to carry around. But they cost something.

7. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

Yes, we need to phase out coins and paper currency altogether. In the case of the penny, the copper is worth more than the value of the coin. However, beyond face values, money is an outstanding transmission device for germs and disease.

8. nanderson500 profile image88
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

I've heard debates about this since the '90s and I'm sure the idea goes back even further. I guess we could just round off. It would take some adjustment but it might work. But it's one of those things that will probably never actually happen, at least not until cash is abolished completely in favor of credit.

9. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

Yes, they cost more to produce than they're worth. It's just not worth it on an economical scale.

working