jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Does North Koreas threats worry you at all? Why or why not?

1. Ytslemp profile image56
    Ytslempposted 4 years ago

Does North Koreas threats worry you at all? Why or why not?

2. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

These days, the North Koreans threats do not worry me very much. I think they were of grave concern going all the way back to the Korean War and all the way forward to the Clinton Presidency. But when Jimmy Carter created the Agreement Framework in 1994, I believe he exposed North Korea in a way that even China understood. Carter deserved the Nobel Peace Prize that he got for that work. Now, I believe that whatever North Korea does, it is not in a position to trigger a global conflict that no one else wants. And it's own ability to create a nuclear warhead is uncertain; it's ability to deliver one (other than through an act of terrorism) is incredibly unlikely.

The threat is not very real at all. The sadness of a nation living in oppression and poverty for generations is the real issue. May the world's support provide a more enlightened North Korean government for its people soon.

1. Ytslemp profile image56
      Ytslempposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for a great response

3. Marquis profile image77
    Marquisposted 4 years ago

I think the U.S. should always take threats seriously. North Korea should have been dealt with back during the 1950s.

4. RavenBiker profile image61
    RavenBikerposted 4 years ago

No.  I say that even thought the Korean War never officially ended and the two have a desire to reunite.

It can go two ways.  The young dictator needs to posture a bit from a position of strength to his military.  If not, a military coup is likely to happen.  In the end, nothing happens.  This has been the pattern set by his grandfather and carried out by his father before him.

Second is if this young leader makes aggressive strikes against the South, Japan and/or American territories nearby (which his military is currently capable of technologically), North Korea will become a chapter in history.  After great losses, especially in the North, the Korean War will come to an end finally and will reunify.

China has grown considerably economically and I doubt will stand in the way.  China has more to lose than gain by keeping it's Stalinist cousin.   In fact, I think they'll participate in taking care of the North Korean annoyance. John Kerry needs to do his job (which he really hasn't) and work with the Chinese to hammer out contingency plans.   

We're again witnessing an American short sightedness here.  Instead of stirring the pot in the mid-east and creating more instability, the United States should be aggressively dismantling remnants of the Cold War: providing for a homeland for the Palestinians, Syria, parts of Africa and of course, the Korean peninsula.  The United States needs to rapidly stop in creating puppet and despotic foreign governments. America needs to walk her talk.