jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If a loved one is " going to a better place" why do we fight like hell to keep t

1. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

If a loved one is " going to a better place" why do we fight like hell to keep them here?

Maybe saying this is our way of letting go. But if it were, we wouldn't grieve,right? Or were we selfish by trying to keep them here? Or are we afraid that there is no "better place" or we are not worthy of one that may exist? I'm confused.

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I think it's because at the end of the day no one truly knows what happens when we die, until we actually do.  It is a source of great fear, and no amount of faith or thinking you know changes the fact that you won't know until you get there.  We cling to our loved ones because we love them and want them with us the way they always have been.  I don't think it's selfish so much as being afraid that you may not see that person again.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 4 years ago

Greed, grasping, hanging on.  If we think about it, mourning is only our own sorrow at our loss.

4. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

I felt grief when my sister-in-law and family emigrated to Australia. They were going to what they felt was a better place. I still missed them and would have preferred them to be around, though that was selfish of me. I wished them well and didn't lay a guilt trip on them

This isn't meant to sound glib. It's trying to show that even if we do think people are going to a better place, it's still hard to say goodbye, and change a way of life. ChristinS explains well.

5. lisasuniquevoice profile image74
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

We fight to keep a loved one with us because we can't imagine life without them. We want them here with us all of the time. We can't help ourselves, nor should we. Love is a powerful thing.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Because human beings are selfish. We want our loved ones here for us.  I suppose some internal doubt also colors our grieving process.

7. 1moreHero profile image65
    1moreHeroposted 4 years ago

In reality... when people die, their soul is at rest, they are neither in heaven nor hell.
    The body is dead, the soul is sleeping until Judgment day.
    Hence: REST in peace