Have You Noticed Changes In Society?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

I know, I already covered this topic on a Hub, but seriously, I like to hear what you have to say on it.

(1) Have seen the fear out in the streets?

(2) Have you seen that everyone's life is in the open now?

(3) Have you noticed more law(s) are becoming forced upon citizens, instead of being voted on.

(4) Have you seen your individual right of choice disappear?

Please, let's talk about it?

Thank you

Cagsil

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would have to answer no to 2-4, but I do see fear, sadness, meanness more on the streets but I also see the opposite also.
      I see more people being kind and caring. I think much of it is perspective. I read Tom Rubenoffs new hub today and it's worth a read, Shopping in the Supermarket of Life. maybe more later, going out now.

2. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed people have been bemoaning the declining state of the world since...

...the beginning of the world.

Your great grandchildren will be having this same pointless discussion.

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

And I was having a good time ......

Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, you're point?

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was having a good time !
        and the I came in here....

Well, you're the one that click on the link. Didn't you read the link before you clicked on it?

Hmmm....?big_smile

1. tantrum profile image61
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah ! and I thougth it  were good changes ! But...Not ! big_smile

What's that suppose to mean? I'm open to discuss whatever you see as a change in society. Come on, want to talk?

3. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

and 'pufff'. Good time good bye ! lol

4. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Changes have been going on forever...but yes much more recently it is coming to a boiling point. There are things we need to be awakening about and making choices on consciously and conscientiously much more than we have done so in the past

See what needs to be seen to be awake, and DO what needs to be done to change...stay heart centered, peaceful, and remember to breathe--, stay positive and look to the future to not get stuck in the past but be firmly grounded in the now...  smile

I think it's come to a more active role by citizens. Especially, when they are suppose to be in control.

5. medina112 profile image61
    medina112posted 14 years ago

Yeah society is changing for better? maybe yes maybe no...People these days have no manners (not all mind you), someone walked right into me today and not a sorry or nothing just kept walking! How Rude!

I was walking down a path the other day with my mother and two younger boys were walking on the path, coming from the other direction and I stepped slightly behind my mom and the other boys never moved. So, we almost brushed up against one another.

But, Yeah.......NO SHAME! NO Self-Respect! and NO Respect for others.

6. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi Cags smile

Good to see you 'round.

I see a lot of changes in society that I don't believe are good.

Holly

I see not enough people caring and too much government stripping of right of choice.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Btw....Hi and How are you?

7. Rayalternately profile image61
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

Don't forget to consider changes in yourself. As we grow older our view of society changes accordingly.

Society could be just fine, it might be you! tongue

Sorry, that one- I'm not buying. Yes, my body has changed, and yes my views have changed, but that does not change what I've seen or what I see.

My perception isn't skewed by doubt about life and isn't skewed by any form of religious belief or occult.

So, I see what I see and I understand it. Therefore, society has changed. tongue

8. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Yeah...I hate the change in society cause by inflation.

Inflation? That's the least of our problems. lol

9. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

You don/t think inflation changes society?

I didn't say that is doesn't. But, inflation is caused by something. The underlying problem isn't being addressed, because the morons in the Treasury don't understand what monetary policy is or it is not.

These idiots running America's Treasury should be shot. The fact that the Federal Reserve Bank, which isn't an agency of the government would have so much involvement in what the Treasury does or doesn't do.

This is ridiculous. Other things are happening too, but people are simply accepting them as a part of life and that is even MORE ridiculous.

10. shanekruger profile image59
    shanekrugerposted 14 years ago

Every One Should Change their negative thinking.

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I find Britain is becoming an increasingly uncomfortable place to live in. Our lives are becoming increasingly controlled. People are fined for putting things in the wrong trash can. Accident victims die while so-called rescue teams perform "safety assessments" to decide whether the risk is too great to attempt a rescue. Women give birth on pavements while trying to get to the maternity hospital, because they were told they did not qualify for an ambulance. The default position has become guilty until proved innocent.

And we cannot even joke about it anymore, because we will be hauled up for political incorrectness.

That is sad. sad

12. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Cagsil, at age 66 (just turned last month), I'm mostly less than thrilled with the changes I see.  Examples:

1.  Being an advocate of firearms, I'm aware that in 1965, I could walk into any hardware store and buy a gun--rifle, shotgun, or pistol didn't matter--without even showing ID.  You could even order one from mail order catalogs, no harm, no foul.  Try that now.

2.  Although I don't smoke and detest cigarette smoke, I also detest the rules that took the ban on smoking beyond the smoking vs. no smoking sections in restaurants. 

3.  I understand why I'm required to carry auto liability insurance but still fume over the requirements of seat belts, airbags, ABS brakes, etc.  Like one of my favorite comedians puts it, "Growing up, all there was between me and that steel dashboard was...a coat of paint!"

4.  My most recent "Irritation Button" is the requirement in the Health Care Bill to buy insurance (if you don't have it) or else.

Yup.  Seems like there's a whole lotta "or else" going on and not much heading in the other direction.

You know what? I hear you. I have seen what's happening. I have watched come about and I'm no longer going to sit by and watch it happen anymore.

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you've really got my attention.  What's your plan?

Unfortunately my friend, the problem is much bigger than you might think?

Because, as I see it- the underlying problem is a lack of citizen protection. Now- this lack of protection is the fault of government, but perpetuated by people's lack of knowledge or understanding of the 'way of life' offered in America.

The American way of life has been lost, because many lack the knowledge or know how, to properly live in America.

There is a specific lack of knowledge people are not specifically told about, because for (1) they have seen it and don't want it or (2) reject it as false.

You want society to work hand in hand with government, then government needs to be held accountable by it's citizens. And, I don't mean, just some of them- I mean ALL of them.

I do believe it's time to put a buffer between the Citizenry and the Government and Business. The handle business has on government, has lead to obscene control of the citizens.

Many businesses are invading the right of choice and shouldn't be.

2. tksensei profile image59

Ok, what are you gonna do?

13. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Hi Caggie.

I absolutely agree.  There is a huge breakdown in community.  This has slowly evolved and changed since the 80s.  Our older people have been segregated from our society.  They are rich with wisdom and, even if we don't see it, have lots to offer younger people.  They can offer quality relationships to young people and can learn lots of practical 'new' developments.  It is about mutual exchange that benefits all, including society.

The fear emenates from a lack of understanding.  Segregation in society breeds fear because it emphasises this lack of understanding.

To briefly conclude... there needs to be a more integrated society to build community.  Sharing and interaction helps promote trust and understanding and when there is this, fear diminishes x

Like-minded people working together, so misery, pain and many other sufferings can come to an end. It's the lack of knowledge for which cause people the pain. Ignorance isn't blissful, it's deadly.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

absolutely!  I have spoken to lots of older people and some of the greatest times they had was during the war.  This was when community was necessary for survival.  Everyone had to support each other through some real trying times.

If other younger people had the same opportunity as I - access to the wisdeom of older people - they can learn such a lot.

14. itcoll profile image62
    itcollposted 14 years ago

yes.There is definitely a sea change in the society and it ain't good.

15. dyonder profile image72
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

The Divided States of America must fall.
    Yeah, I've noticed it in the last few years. I grew up taught that you always look everyone in the eye and smile, sharing the goodness in yourself. People don't look you in the eye anymore. They look away. Fear does seem to be running rampant now-a-days. For a while I thought perhaps it was fear of loss, that old 'they're going to take what's mine'. But now, no, I don't think so. I think that deep down people know things must change & that in order to do that we have to step outside of our safety box of preconceived ideas and take the reigns of government back. That scares people. The need for action in the face of apathy does that.
    It's what unites people.
    It's what's needed.
    Let's Unite America Again.

16. profile image49
    BadCompanyposted 14 years ago

People just don't know how to enjoy themselves anymore even though most people have everything. Kids of today rarely go out, they live in that leisure centre they call a bedroom with colour tv, x box, ipod, mobile phone, jeeez all I had was a soddin fish tank in my room.

People rarely mix as much, too tired after work. Plus Political Correctness and nobody can take a joke anymore. Then of course t,internet, that vast cyberspace, jeeez why go out, ya can meet people online, buy stuff, make money and even get a date online.

Still looking back I hated all that family crap, my grandad was a moany git, we got damn all for xmas and our tv was black and white, ya ever watch snooker in black in white, twas a load of balls. smile

1. tksensei profile image59

Nah, that's not true.

1. profile image49
        BadCompanyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is in parts of the UK and I blame built up Estates where people keep themselves to themselves, I notice you live in Boston and having been to Boston I would agree with you because to be honest Boston people are really friendly so yeah where you are from I would agree with you that people mix but in general Americans are more of a mixing type of people.

Did you drive a car while you were here?

1. profile image49
            BadCompanyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol no way, I once drove a car on holiday in Spain and that was more than enough for me !

Yeah, if you had you might not think us so friendly. We have sort of a bad rep for being brutally rude, aggressive drivers.

Forget I said that.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

although I love the Boston area, the drivers are the worst, almost as bad as New Jersey~~~  I was there recently in Oct, and found people in the north end very rude.

17. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

lots of changes but it depends where you live...... some parts of world better than others...... it is not all doom and gloom... i think it is hard when you cannot get away from a bad situation or neighbourhood if it declines....

18. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Where I'm from, laws aren't voted on in the first place. That's why we elect officials: to vote on them for us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)