jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

If it were absolutely legal for 24 hours to commit a crime, would you?

1. Zaiden Jace profile image69
    Zaiden Jaceposted 4 years ago

If it were absolutely legal for 24 hours to commit a crime, would you?

I recently watched the Purge. Good movie!

2. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

What a lot of people fail to understand is that a good majority of criminals do it because they feel they have no choice.  They're desperate for money, drugs and other things because their families are hungry or homeless or otherwise. 

Besides, if crime is declared legal for a day, then why is even called a crime anymore? 

Anyway, now that I'm stepping off my soap box, I don't feel I would commit any sort of serious crime if the window were open for a day.  For one thing I wouldn't want to get shot, which someone would almost certainly do in this country.

3. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Nah. I have no reason to do anything that is illegal at this time. It might be different if we had prohibition or a total ban on other activities called vices. Then yeah, I'd probably go out and have a high time for 24 hours - but I sure wouldn't have a desire to do anything to anyone that I wouldn't want them to do to me.

Zaiden Jaceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I'd probably round up as much pot as I could but I don't think I could actually do something that could potentially harm another person in a physical or non physical way,

4. myefforts profile image81
    myeffortsposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't do that. There is no reason to do a crime only because it is permitted.

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

Well, Zaiden.......Since a "crime" always has a VICTIM, directly or indirectly, as a decent, compassionate and morally strong individual, I need NO ONE to tell me what is "legal" or illegal......or try to frighten me with consequence.  I simply would not commit a CRIME, intentionally....for ANY reason.  Declared legal or illegal.....I happen to know what is right....and what is wrong.
    I have not seen "The Purge," but I'm sure it is an interesting movie.

Zaiden Jaceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's pretty much about purging your soul of all the evil intent you have inside yourself. It's what made me wonder how many people could truly start committing what would normally be considered a crime if they were allowed to,  without punishment.

2. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I understand the curiosity.  It never hurts to present hypothetical situations.  Human nature is an extremely interesting subject.  We can never study this enough!  Good question.

6. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8095022_f260.jpg

If it's legal then it is not a crime then isn't it?

Question reminds me of that old Star Trek episode "The Return of the Archons" ,
    when normally peaceful people go into a violent rampage as the clock tower struck the Red Hour.

working