What should President Obama do to help the Syrian rebels now that Assad has used

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

What should President Obama do to help the Syrian rebels now that Assad has used sarin against them?

Assad has used sarin (a chemical weapon)  several times against his own people - this has recently been certified by Obama and Congress.  What should be the U.S. response to this egregious  breach of the Geneva Convention?

2. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

What are you talking about? Chemical weapons were used by the rebels. And let's call them by their names : extremists muslims that come from all over the world but Syria.
    According to a NATO report more than 70% of the Syrian population supports Assad.
    Again why would he fight for his country and his people if he were a dictator? Why wouldn't he take his fortune like the rest of them and flew the country? Why would he want to stay and kill them at the same time?
    The US won't do anything because the Syrians took their country back. The US won't do anything because Russia is here to stop the US intervention in the middle east, the US won't do anything because it is already on the front lines by proxy.
    Don't behave as if you didn't know which powers are hidden behind those impoverished djihadists, behind those criminals!
    If you believe so, then ignorance is bliss.

suzettenaplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't said what I believe because I want to hear what you have to say.  I have to admit I like your answer though.

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 10 years ago

Nothing. They are are al-queda, which means we made them. Stop creating havoc to cause war. PNAC go home! I don't believe the story any more than I did Iraq. Follow the money--and the big mouths. You will see.

Love your answer!

4. James-wolve profile image77
    James-wolveposted 10 years ago

The US said it would provide military support to the Syrian Freedom Fighters.The assessment of chemicals weapons use, based on CIA tests on blood, urine and and hair samples from dead or wounded freedom fighters, is the first time Washington has supported claims previously made by British and French intelligence services in recent weeks. Assad has repeatedly denied using any chemical weapons against his people.

White House officials said that President Barack Obama had decided to provide military support to the freedom fighters but declined to reveal what kind.

The NATO report tries to justify its failure and the state of inertia that the Organisation is in.The real revolution in the Arab World is the Syrian,not the others..The truth that many people dont know !
    The grandfather of Bashar sold Syria to French Colony ,father sold Al  Jowlan to Israel (before Israel was ready to open negotiation with Syrian Gov if they ask.but this suspicious Gov was BUSY with other things: Suppressing its  people) and now Bashar sold the whole country to Iran.This is really so ridiculous!  For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Very thorough answer.  Pres. Obama has to do something because his line has been crossed.  You know more about the Middle East than I do, so I defer to your expertise.

2. James-wolve profile image77
      James-wolveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Obama has t act,not t react if h wants to keep the USA image as th protector of Democracy in th world, if not ,so th Bush crusade against th Autocrat Regim in Iraq t save its peopl was just a pretext and th mater now is either sincerity or hypocrisy

3. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Heavy Pressure Led to Decision by Obama on Syrian Arms
      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/15/us/po … .html?_r=0
      It's on the list of countries the Pentagon "allegedly" said they were going to invade.Clark

5. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

Sounds like another tale of "Weapons of Mass Destruction"! Have we not learned our lesson yet or that wars are not as profitable these days as they were in the past.

The only thing this is going to bring is the more of our children in body bags!

Our people are being Sequestered because we are so freaking short of money we can't run the country, but yet we have billions for another country who will wind up blowing up our kids as a thank you. It is sickening.

I can certainly agree with where you are coming from. Unfortunately, Obama made a commitment about crossing a red line.  Congress feels it has the proof.  We need our money at home to fix our own problems and yet we have this commitment.  Go figure!

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When those who decide to go to war start sending their children to fight them, maybe someone can convince me that the stupid line in the sand means something. And congress feeling they have proof must be the joke of the century ...

3. James-wolve profile image77

Justsilvie,the joke is when we step aside watching the millions wiped out by the autocrat regime and his murderous cronies that had to come after the West s ordeals in Iraq and Afghanistan, and in the wake of a global financial crisis.

4. profile image0

So we wipe out the autocrat regime and his murderous cronies and as a thank you the people we have armed will be become the autocrat regime and use the weapons we gave them to kill us. Dejavu,... seems like we have been there and done that.

5. James-wolve profile image77

Justsilvie,
      Ok,then ..let people die!let kids,women,old men,trees,the most ancient civilization wiped out ..Oh God send Jesus!

6. profile image0

People have been dying and not just in Syria! And the world turned a blind eye. This is a civil war there will be no real winners no matter what.

7. James-wolve profile image77

Ok then for second time..y did  USA  interfere in Iraq to free its peopl from the dictator?and why France also in Libya?plus in Syria a red line has been crossed and being policeman of the world requires to arrest the villains and free the innocents

8. profile image0

No we went to Iraq because we were lied to about weapons of Mass destruction, so excuse some of us for doubting the same sources now. France, like the UK is worried about European Terrorism and immigration resulting in those trying to escaping it.

9. James-wolve profile image77

weapons of Mass destruction was one of the reasons.There are others like Genocide against the Kurds and the Shi'ites with  the chemical weapons and in Libya,the terrorism you r talking about  came only after they killed Al Ghadafi.

10. profile image0

I had a friend and coworker, who lived through the Iranian revolution and her words stay with me. “We thought once the Shah was gone it would be better”. Someone prove to me the Rebels will do better, this round!

11. James-wolve profile image77

I hope so:)
      Many blessing to you!
      Have a wonderful weekend!

12. profile image0

And I hope you faith and hope are rewarded. Have a peaceful and lovely weekend.

6. taburkett profile image57
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

The same thing he did when Benghazi was under attack.
    Shrug his shoulders, ask his aides to find excuses for the action, go to bed, and then lie about all instances of his actions.
    Failure seems to be his objective since he has had plenty of chances to end the annihilation.  But as usual, he would rather spy on lawful citizens, create chaos in America, and use the IRS to intimidate.
    Ain't the Audacity of Hope just great - it sure has doomed America.

Interesting answer that I can't completely disagree with.  Obama seems to be a changed man since becoming President.

2. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For all those years of people telling me I hate America because I didn't support Bush: your hatred of Obama makes you the America hater now. You and all your ilk: move to Cuba, or stand in front of the troops. To quote Mittens-Good for Goose, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)