jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Are the furloughed government employees eligible for unemployment?

1. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

Are the furloughed government employees eligible for unemployment?

If so, it would make no sense would it? We can't afford to pay you to work, but we can afford to pay you to stay home.  I've been told that these people will also receive back pay for time off. If true, will they have to pay back any benefits collected during time off?

2. JohnfrmCleveland profile image86
    JohnfrmClevelandposted 4 years ago

Yes, they are eligible for unemployment compensation.  And they would have to pay it back if they get their back pay.

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Probably not in this case. If a worker was furloughed on the first and filed on the first and then got a check -- normal two week period say- yesterday that might be an issue. Once filed it is not retroactive.
    So conceivably they could for a two week furlough but it would be a very prompt and together person that could do that. We will see when figures come out. But I bet less than 1% could in fact get it although technically they could.
    Remember it is a partnership between state and federal funds. So that is squirrely any how.

1. JohnfrmCleveland profile image86
      JohnfrmClevelandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My wife was one of those very prompt people who filed on Day One.  We'll get one check for about $65 (they still remove all taxes, insurance, etc.), and we'll have to return that because of back pay.  All of which makes next year's taxes a nightmare.

working