jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

If our actions define us; why is skin color relevant when defining ourselves?

1. cjhunsinger profile image73
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

If our actions define us; why is skin color relevant when defining ourselves?

It would seem that the essence of humanity has been reduced to one's skin color; a sad commentary on an intelligent being.

2. mgeorge1050 profile image79
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

Skin color is not relevant to everyone.  When defining oneself, often the adjectives we use are the ones that we feel are important.  Maybe you think the color of your skin is important, but the guy next to you on the bus could care less.  Any mature, self respecting person knows you don't judge a person by the color of their skin, you have to look into their heart.  I know there are still some ignorant people in the world, and it doesn't help that the media seems to glorify these people by giving them constant attention.

cjhunsingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sadly mgeorge there are more then 'some'. As you say "the media", exploits skin tone, but the question is why. Is it for profit or to promote division.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

When I meet other people, their skin color means nothing when it comes to whether or not I treat them as equals or whether or not I'll become their friend. I truly believe actions speak louder than words. There are good and bad people in all groups of people.

4. Paul K Francis profile image81
    Paul K Francisposted 3 years ago

The important thing is how you define yourself, not how other people see you. I think the essence of humanity greatly transcends skin color. Have a great day.

In speaking of human 'essence' what is it, precisely, that makes  one human. What is it that sets us apart and above other animals, considering that we are only 1.3 % (DNA) different than our cousin the chimp?

2. profile image55
      tbHistorianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are correct Paul.  The essence transcends skin color through a great spirit of caring that presents love, commitment, strength, integrity, honor, and persistent patriotism in support of all others.  Semper Fi

5. profile image55
    tbHistorianposted 3 years ago

Skin color has nothing to do with defining ourselves.
    Many intelligent individuals are coerced through the media.
    The corrupt media mouthpiece and deceitful politician have both used skin color for decades to influence divisional specter.
    The result is a growing welfare-slavery state where only the politician and media personality acquire advancement.

With that thought what happens to the economic and political structure of the society?

2. profile image55
      tbHistorianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

welfare slavery continues to destroy the economic and political structure.
      the liberty society is then overrun by evil.

6. J Sweet Tooth profile image60
    J Sweet Toothposted 3 years ago

In my opinion, my skin color does define who I am physically, what you and I see. It is a reminder of who I am, and where my personal history comes from. I do not, however, think that my skin color defines who I am inwardly. I like to think of my skin tone as a piece of who I am. It does not define my thoughts, the way I look at life, my beliefs, the friends I make, or the work I do. I feel that people do judge others based on the pigment of their skin, and it is wrong and indicative of ignorance and the world's lack of compassion. It's amazing and sad to me that in this day in age, people can still see only color, and not character.

The question was more to those who feel the need to first identify themselves with skin color, as if it provides purpose and identity. I would agree that ones history is all that is within the individual, but action is the definer.

working