jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are "black" Actors And Actresses, Mainly Picked To Play Black Characters, Or Hav

1. vveasey profile image84
    vveaseyposted 3 years ago

Are "black" Actors And Actresses, Mainly Picked To Play Black Characters, Or Have Things Changed?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7505667_f260.jpg

2. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 3 years ago

In the shows I've watched recently color doesn't matter at all. There aren't any "types" or anything like that. I hope this continues because cliches are boring. smile

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure if it's really a change or only the choice of who the producer/director thinks has the skills to bring the character to life. Two examples come to mind. Will Smith had the lead role in "I Am Legend" and the character in the short story, if I remember correctly, was Caucasian. The character of Lincoln Rhymes is a white male in the novels, but was played by Denzel Washington in the movie "The Bone Collector". I think both of those actors did a great job portraying those characters. But maybe I'm a little biased because both Smith and Washington are two of my favorite actors in serious roles and I think they can play any role and make the movie successful.

4. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 3 years ago

In a number of movie remakes, a white character in the original role was cast by a black man in the remake. Examples: Will Smith played James West in The Wild Wild West.  The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) played Buford Pusser in the remake of Walking Tall. It worked. In the remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, the race of all characters was reversed. It worked. But it only makes sense to cast a black man to a black role or a white man in a white role. You wouldn't cast an Asian man to play the part of a South African soccer player. This isn't a racial issue at all. It's the job of the casting director to cast who can naturally fit the part and enhance that with their acting abilities. It's all business to selling a product for the highest profit. That's all.

5. Zelkiiro profile image94
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

It's easier for a black actor to have a more dynamic selection of roles in the world of voice acting, because, well, you're not being selected on the basis of your physical appearance, but rather on the sound of your voice.

For example, a black actor was called in to voice Dutch from Black Lagoon (who was also black), but another black actor was called to voice Kratos from God of War. What was important was that they fit the part--in both cases, they needed actors who could be intimidating as hell, and in both cases, the man they were looking for was black, regardless of what color the characters they were voicing were.

working