jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If Certain Blacks Don't Like Being Called The "N" Word, Why Do They Use It To Re

1. vveasey profile image83
    vveaseyposted 3 years ago

If Certain Blacks Don't Like Being Called The "N" Word, Why Do They Use It To Refer To One Another?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9081809_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 3 years ago

Just because some ignorant black people use this word does not mean that all black people do or that anyone should. It is very important to understand that the majority of black people do not, have not and never would use the N word because they RESPECT THEMSELVES AND OTHERS.
    The ones who do are very ignorant of all the harm that word has caused and continues to cause. For example many people were called that very last word as they were lynched or otherwise murdered. Others were taunted with it as they were beaten or raped or were held captive while their friends or loved ones were beaten, raped or murdered.
    ANYONE of ANY color or ethnicity using this word is an ignorant and vile fool. Unfortunately, we have an abundance of ignorant and vile fools in this world who would rather destroy, infuriate and put down other people.

3. pattyfloren profile image80
    pattyflorenposted 3 years ago

That is why that word is so compelling. After getting over the horrible connotations of using that word, we find that using it with our closest friends doesn't infuriate as much.  Since the word caused so much pain from using it, using it devalues the hurt in us and lets us realize that it doesn't have to carry with it so much violence and power.  Even though...its racist to some, we can learn to get over it.  You probably would still never use that word.  Its the kind of word that tries to get a way.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 3 years ago

When I was in college in the '70s I had a campus job where I washed dishes. Most of my fellow employees were black. I never heard one of them use the N word, but that was at the height of the Civil Rights movement. A year or so ago I worked part time in a department store. Again, I was one of three white people with about a dozen black employees. I spent days trying to keep the black employees from saying Yes Sir and No Sir to me, I was just a worker. I realize they were showing respect for my age. I only heard two of those employees use the N word. I do not think they understood what their parents and grandparents had to endure.

Thus I think for some it is ignorance. For others, it is a power position of "I can say that word but you, the white person cannot." I hope they learn that no one should say it.

5. profile image60
    Lynn77posted 3 years ago

I think some black people hold double standards. I think some of us are ignorant to the history behind the word. I don't think its ok for black people to use the word amongst themselves then get mad when white people use it. I do know that younger people use the N word to mean friend. The N word has a different meaning to this generation.

working