jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How have modern communications changed our lives?

1. stuff4kids profile image97
    stuff4kidsposted 2 years ago

How have modern communications changed our lives?

I can remember a time before mobile telephones, before the internet, before multichannel television. I can even remember a time when the only folk with telephones in the house were the priest and the doctor in our small town.

We are all, young and old alike, it seems, entirely at ease these days with modern communications. But how have they really impacted our lives? Is all this stuff really good for us or would we be better off without it? If there are benefits, what are they in real terms? If there are 'dis-benefits' what might those be?

All thoughts, reflections, and information welcome!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12186034_f260.jpg

2. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

There are things I like and dislike about modern gadgets that have taken over our way of communicating to each other. For example the mobile phones. These are good means of communication especially if you have emergency message you want to convey straightaway to the  other person who is from another country from where you are. But it can also isolate you from other people. The mobile phone will also makes you appear  rude to other people by using it on a dining table or on a table at a restaurant when you are constantly texting or looking at your messages when you are in front of your dining table eating with your family or friends. It is common these days which is rude I think. Face to face conversation which is better is becoming a thing of the past as people now use more and more the new gadgets like mobile phones, IPads, and computers for communications. I prefer the old fashion way of communication.

1. stuff4kids profile image97
      stuff4kidsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A very interesting answer which points out that modern communications have changed not only the means of communication but the type and meaning of communication in modern society, even between family and friends. Thanks for your insight!

3. genuineaid lm profile image45
    genuineaid lmposted 2 years ago

I really love modern technology/communication, because it makes our lives easier. Some people of course may be abusing it or not taking control of it, instead, it controls and ruins their lives.

Some people freak out and complain about everyone staring into their phones in public places, but why? Before phones became popular people were staring into newspapers and/or books.

Phones are just replacing old technology and things.

Today we can use one single phone instead of a newspaper, a book, a wallet, a handheld gaming device, a photo/video camera, and even instead of a smart computer.

So, new technology/communication can be both beneficial or dangerous. It's up to the user, can he/she control themselves from using smart phones in the wrong times and respect people around them?

working