jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Are you a "straight-party voter" or do you vote for candidates solely based on m

1. cougsam profile image60
    cougsamposted 3 years ago

Are you a "straight-party voter" or do you vote for candidates solely based on merit?

I try to research candidates and vote based on merit but often find myself voting only for blue candidates. I was curious how many other people fill out their ballots in a similar fashion.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12338956_f260.jpg

2. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

I always read the description of candidates for any position before voting and I vote only based on merit. However, I have found that I usually vote some parties over others. In order from most votes to least votes Constitution, Libertarian, Republican, Democrat. (I rarely vote for anything other than these).

3. Nicole Grizzle profile image89
    Nicole Grizzleposted 3 years ago

The reason why political parties exist is because they have a fundamental "idea" associated with them. This is very oversimplified, but the general idea is as follows:

One is the idea that large government is ideal. The other is the idea that small government is ideal.

There is evidence to support either idea. Which evidence you believe is most credible pretty much determines which party you'll generally vote for. That's why a lot of people just vote in party lines; there's an "unwritten code" for what the party stands for, and if that's all that's important to you, there's really no reason to think very much of it.

Personally, I try to look at more than just the party. However, because of how certain ideas are restricted to certain parties, my ideals do end up being mostly blue, with an occasional exception every once in a while.

1. lovemychris profile image63
      lovemychrisposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The problem is, these "ideals" lead to laws. And we can see now that woman's rights are being stripped at a rapid rate--because of Republicans winning elections and making laws.
      Of course, they coach their intentions--say things like "freedom". itnot

2. Nicole Grizzle profile image89
      Nicole Grizzleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly why voting in party lines is easy. There are certain things on the "right" (especially on a national scale) that I can't agree with. Like, I don't understand why they "need" to restrict women's rights. There's no logic I can follow.

3. lovemychris profile image63
      lovemychrisposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, and they don't come right out and say it..just like in 2010, they got elected because of their "jobs""jobs""jobs" rhetoric, but IMMEDIATELY started putting restrictions in place. It's religious, and it's against the Constitution to use gvt 4it!

4. lovemychris profile image63
    lovemychrisposted 3 years ago

Straight party line. I can NEVER vote for a party that has anti-abortion in its platform. I always look at alternative views....was going to vote McKinney or Gravel, and did vote Nader.
    But I will never be affiliated with bigotry and anti-womanism. This is 2015...we are so far beyond that.
    I'm a Humanist.....the closest I can find to match that stand....you have my vote!

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I've never blindly voted along party lines.
    My quest is to select the "right candidate for the times" and circumstances. This person must also be able to articulate their plan to improve things. It's not enough to simply badmouth the other party or candidate. If someone is "out of step" or living in the past they probably have no new ideas for addressing today's issues.

6. Sharp Points profile image96
    Sharp Pointsposted 3 years ago

It depends. On a national scale, I am because unfortunately our system forces us to choose between the lesser of two evils. On the local level, I would vote for a candidate representing any party as long as they what they are saying matches my ideals. Then again, what they are saying is much different from what they will do. I can not wait for the day that we have four or five men competing for president rather than two. I know we have lots of parties but only two have ever really mattered and are still relevant when it comes to the presidency, that is unless the Whigs are planning on making a comeback. The same applies for the most part to the other two wings(?) of government. I hope someday for a spectrum of parties, not a right vs left.

1. jgshorebird profile image89
      jgshorebirdposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's not right v. left, but left v. left. Otherwise - I agree,

7. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 3 years ago

Personally, I am a "straight-party voter;" I vote only for Republicans. And the reason why that is the case is I believe that when the president is a Republican and legislatures are comprised by Republican majorities, the nation is better off.

Now, please, do not jump me for feeling as I do. I have nothing against those who are "straight-party voters" for Democrats and those who vote based on a candidate's "merit."

Chances are, they are doing the right thing and I am doing the wrong thing.

working