GOP: would you like your hemlock on the rocks? New Jersey senate race

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 10 years ago

See video link

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3036697/ns/ms … 5#52776545

Otherwise to recap-
    After watching Chris Matthews :

Steve Lonegan is supposed the be the GOP standard bearer against Democrat Cory Booker for the upcoming NJ senate race. Is this just more GOP merchandize being put up for sale that the people are not buying? You saw the video

He opposes
    1 Marriage equality (the gay community is going to love this)
    2. Gun control (this may not be the state to promote such a position)
    3. Abortion,  even in the case of rape or incest (this will enamor him with the ladies)
    4. The IRS and wants to dismantle same.(while extreme I could go with this)
    5. The concept of climate change, in direct opposition to the overwhelming preponderance of the world's scientists (Yeah, the world is flat!)

He is in favor of:
    1. Destruction of Medicare and Medicaid

2. Refers to Social Security as a ponzi scheme (the oldsters are not going to take this very well)

3. English Only Legislation (how well does that play with the immigrant community?)

GOP, if you are going to commit suicide that are many more direct ways to accomplish this.

Don't you know that New Jersey is an azure-blue state, how far do you think that a candidate like that is going to get there?

You said that after the disappointing 2012 election season that you would mend fences with the constituencies that contributed to your loss. Well, smooth move, ex-lax, obviously the lesson has not been learned

Your thoughts?

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Strychnine is more like it! My thoughts: if one votes for Steve Lonegan, be prepared to pay the dire consequences.  No one in his/her logical perceptive mind would vote for a person who will eventually damage New Jersey and regress it to a more repressive era.  Politics is becoming more harrowing each day.  Smart people had better become aware and carefully study and analyze their prospective candidate.  America cannot afford to get any worse than it is already!  If  Mr. Lonegan is elected, New Jersey is going to regress to the DARK AGES.  However, we shall see how this goes.  The Republican Party as it is now, is a tyrannosaurus on its way to eventual extinction as the antiprogressives it represents.
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8302419_f248.jpg

Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, that GOP icon may well change from an elephant to a wooly mammoth!

2. profile image57
      Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, he could lie and make campaign promises based on opinion polls.  Then, he could refuse to adhere to the campaign promises once elected; we've seen all kinds of candidates do that sort of thing.  Instead, he's being true to his beliefs even though anybody with sense can see that it probably won't endear him to the electorate within that area.  I'll give him credit where credit is due.  You might not like his ideas, but he's not being a phony politician who says what voters want to hear just to garner votes.  In my book, that makes him a lot more honest than the average politician in Congress.  That may or may not be worth a vote, but it is worth something.

Yes, it's bad news for the GOP.

I hear you, but the GOP needs to be a bit more pragmatic and less hooked on ideological purity. This the wrong man at the wrong time in the wrong place. Where is the RNC, getting involved to properly vet candidates for their ticket?

The GOP would do well to listen to Chris Christie, as to the need to win elections first and foremost. Why waste time and energy getting into a race where you are most probably going to be defeated? Who has the money and resources for this folly?

The GOP needs to find a way to make its beliefs and platform palatable to a larger swath of the electorate, ignoring the problem and placing band-aids over it will not do.  There is simply no getting around that.

3. profile image58
      retief2000posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is long past time for the GOP to write off New Jersey and throw up only token resistance.  Perhaps Lonegan is that token.  Most of what he is saying resonates with the bulk of the countries Republican voters, just not Jersites, Jersians?

Ironically, the country is doomed now so all of this is merely an exercise in futility.

You're right about that, but why not run a more moderate candidate? Christie won in blue New Jersey, so it is not impossible for the GOP to be able to compete.

Lonegan is an extremist, you can't be serious that he represents the mainstream of the GOP? There was a GOP fellow by the name of Ken Buck that ran for a senate seat in Colo with similar credentials and was defeated soundly.

If this is what the GOP offers than it is in trouble, and if your fear is domination by the left, that fear is valid.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
          tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Will get back to you on this one.  Needs more time than I have right now, but I am thinking about it.

2. profile image58

I would call Christie Democrat-light but one sees the irony. Why bother running anyone at all in New Jersey, New York, Illinois, California, Maryland and just a very few others?  Let the Democrats succeed like they are in those states and did in Detroit.

Lonegan is hardly an extremist.  If taken one at a time the majority of his positions are the same positions held by most Americans.

Let me reiterate, the country is doomed so all of this is an exercise in futility.

"Why bother running anyone at all in New Jersey, New York, Illinois, California, Maryland and just a very few others?"

I would not just say 'a few', but many, and increasing all the time. I see a lot more traditional red states turning blue rather than the other way around. Colo, North Carolina, Florida, Iowa, just to name a few, with the proponderance in population, the Dems are going to be hard to beat.

I dont think that most Americans would prohibit abortion against the objections of the mother in cases of rape and incest. Where did you see that?

But if you think that the country is doomed, then it really doesn't matter how the chips fall for you does it?

1. profile image58

I would not just say 'a few', but many - this is not reflected in state races over the last several election cycles with states that haven't had Republican majorities in their legislatures since the last Democrat Depression have shrinking Democrat minorities.

I dont think that most Americans would prohibit abortion against the objections of the mother in cases of rape and incest. Where did you see that? . - the better question is where did you see I said anything of the kind?  Not a word by me can be construed as to mean that - but assume what you will.

But if you think that the country is doomed, then it really doesn't matter how the chips fall for you does it? - The country is doomed because Americans have accepted the idea that the role of government is to take the product of one man's efforts and award it to another who did nothing for it except own a vote and claim a need.  We now believe that it is unnecessary to work for a living but rather we have the right to claim some one else owes us a living. 

That is why we are DOOMED, we are becoming a nation of leftists, despite not believing in leftist ideas.  Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the entire entitlement state, college finances and now universal health care are all redistributionist and therefore damaging to the notion that one owns what ones works for.  We are accepting the idea that government has the responsibility and right to take from one and give to another.

" Most of what he is saying resonates with the bulk of the countries Republican voters, just not Jersites, Jersians?"

Retief, did you not say that?

Then you say:

"I dont think that most Americans would prohibit abortion against the objections of the mother in cases of rape and incest. Where did you see that?

So you want to know 'where did I see that', check your posts.

The bulk of the country's GOP voters is not 'the country'.

I will take my chances with the Left over the political Right anytime and it appears like most of my fellow citizens, at least when looking at voting patterns, say the same. Is that the basis of your 'doomsday scenario'?  As for us all being 'doomed', I am content to just wait and see.......

But, I will acknowledge that your point in the last paragraph about the redistribution of wealth is a concern, but whatever remedy the rightwinger proposes will go too far the other way, making slaves of what are now middle class and working class people, at the mercy of their vaunted corporate power structure and its endless greed. The people will not tolerate it and this is why your desired vision for the nation  must NEVER come to fruition

1. profile image58

does not equal all or even equal one specific position you choose - perhaps a little reading on the definition of generalization would help.

How can one "go too far" in permitting a man to retain the product of his efforts over the forced redistribution of that product through the police power of the government to another who did nothing to earn it but own a vote and claim a need?  Isn't the only possible too far in that the purchase of that vote with confiscated property?

How can one "go too far" in permitting a man to retain the product of his efforts over the forced redistribution of that product through the police power of the government to another who did nothing to earn it but own a vote and claim a need?  Isn't the only possible too far in that the purchase of that vote with confiscated property?

Yeah, I heard you the first time.  You have a problem paying taxes? Where is the line drawn with you kind of people? You want all the benifits of living in a safe ethical society without acknowledging the cost. So, who is making you pay taxes for you share of the freight? So the elitism rears its head so now, those that YOU figure are unproductive should be deprived of the vote, that is what you are saying, isn't it. According to the GOP, the only 'productive people' are old white southern males, and hopefully many of them are not on social security, so I guess that I better add 'wealthy' to the description. Those vaunted coporatists as self made producers that you put on a pedestal are not worthy of your continued adoration.  Horatio Alger has been dead for a long time.Are you retrograde enough to want to go back to the days when only men with property could vote? I would not hold my breath waiting for it.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A friend of mine grew up in Vancouver BC to middle school.  When her father was transferred to Montreal, which is a French speaking providence, she was expected to learn French.  She wasn't allowed to speak English anywhere at school.  Many college students pay big bucks going to other countries for language immersion.  The only country that doesn't think language immersion is the best way to learn a language is America, Being forced to know the language helps an immigrant .
      English only isn't such a bad thing.

I dunno, Tireless, it seems when I went to Europe much signage was up accomodating several languages. But, you are right language immersion is the best way. On our planned move to Panama, that is the approach we are going to take in our attempt to master the Spanish language.  However, there should never be a penalty levied on any citizen in regards to his or her rights and privileges as a citizen just because he or she is not proficient in the English language. We all have to learn as part of the process. Government sponsored approaches like make this process a mandate and I don't like the concept.

2. GuitarGear profile image59
    GuitarGearposted 10 years ago

I am disgusted by the Republican party and their minions of stupid middle class followers who vote against their own best interests for candidates like Steve Lonegan.  They are systematically destroying the country and the viability of the once workable two party system of checks and balances.  It's like a sadistic special effects cartoon playing in a never ending loop.  It's repulsive and treasonous.

1. profile image57
      Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting to hear you say that the republican party has "minions of stupid middle class followers."  Who supports the democrats then?  If rich people and "minions of stupid middle class followers" support republicans, you'd think that the republicans could control all three branches of government.  It doesn't seem to be working that way.  Could it be that "minions of stupid middle class followers" also vote democrat?

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

Cory Booker is going to be hard to beat, period. He's popular and young and fresh. A true rising star.
    We can't say categorically that a Republican COULDN"T win in NJ. (Even though it's highly unlikely).
    But all other issues being equal -- not that I'm saying they are -- Lonegan's stance on climate change will not win him many votes. Two words: Hurricane Sandy.
    Lonegan's city, Bogota, New Jersey is not near the coast.

1. profile image58

Sandy was not a hurricane when it made land fall, it was a tropical storm.  Its arrival also coincided with a   Nor'easter resulting in an unusual blending of two different storms.  Global warming is unmitigated and undiluted garbage but ignorance will embrace anything.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … te-change/

Superstorm. That's kind of a clue that we haven't seen anything quite like it before, dontcha think?
        I'm sure the people of New Jersey are comforted by your analysis of the actual weather phenomena that coalesced to form Superstorm Sandy.
        Unmitigated and undiluted garbage.
        Ok, so you don't care about the polar bears. But what about these facts?

From www.edf.org/climate/climate-change-impacts:

Extreme weather will become more frequent—and more dangerous.

The World Meteorological Organization reported that 2000-2009 was the hottest decade on record, with eight of the hottest 10 years having occurred since 2000.

It's not just the heat that poses threats. Scientists say global warming is speeding up the cycling of water between the ocean, atmosphere and land, resulting in more intense rainfall and droughts at the same time across the globe.

A surge in wildfires
        Hot, dry conditions create a tinderbox ideal for wildfires. This could have a devastating impact on America's Southwest.

Increased flooding
        The 2007 IPCC report concludes that intense rain events have increased in frequency during the last 50 years and that human-induced global warming has been a factor.

Increased drought
        There have also been increased periods of drought, particularly in famine-stricken areas of Africa and Asia. According to the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the percentage of Earth's surface suffering drought has more than doubled since the 1970s. In Africa alone, the IPCC projects that between 75 and 250 million people will be exposed to increased water stress due to climate change.

More intense hurricanes
        As the oceans warm, scientists predict that hurricane intensity could increase. The associated storm surge poses particular risk to low-lying coastal cities like Miami, Charleston (SC) and Wilmington (NC).

Threats to human health

A warming planet threatens people worldwide, causing deaths, spreading insect-borne diseases and exacerbating respiratory illnesses. Extreme weather will also put more people in harm's way.

The World Health Organization believes that even the modest increases in average temperature that have occurred since the 1970s are responsible for at least 150,000 extra deaths a year—a figure that will double by 2030, according to WHO's conservative estimate.

Devastating heat waves

Recent studies show extreme heat events that now occur once every 20 years will occur about every other year in much of the country, if current trends continue.

In 1995, Chicago suffered a heat wave that killed more than 700 people. Chicagoans could experience that kind of relentless heat up to three times a year by 2100.

Spread of disease

Diseases such as malaria and dengue fever could become more difficult to control in areas where it's currently too cold for them to spread year-round. The malaria parasite itself is generally limited to certain areas by cooler winter temperatures since it is not able to grow below 16°C. As temperatures rise, diseases can grow and disease vectors (the carriers that transmit disease, such as mosquitoes) will mature more rapidly and have longer active seasons.

Worsening air quality

More hot days mean ripe conditions for ground-level ozone, or smog, which forms when pollutants from tailpipes and smokestacks mix in sunny, stagnant conditions. Higher temperatures cause higher emissions of one type of pollutant, namely hydrocarbons and other volatile organic compounds, as well as speeding up the chemical reactions that form ozone smog.

Smog triggers asthma attacks and worsens other breathing problems. The number of Americans with asthma has more than doubled over the past two decades to 20 million. Continued warming will only worsen the problem.

1. profile image58

Superstorm is a media word not a meteorological description.

2. Credence2 profile image78

In reply to an earlier comment that you made:

Gee, Retief, I wasn't born yesterday. If I recall, all of this started because neither side was willing to compromise on the budget and the sequestration was to be the dooms day device that would have forced the parties to cooperate prior to its planned enactment and come to the table, but as always the stubborness of the GOP knew no bounds and they decided to take us over the cliff.

So blaming Obama for this is just a red herring, it is as you say 'Speaking Manx to a Mongol?" The GOP are simply bringing up stupid things like defunding Obamacare as a condition to not shutting the Government down as leverage. Wasn't over 40- times they attempted this? The paucity of ideas is, as I said, a GOP exclusive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)