jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Has anyone else heard about Ravensbruck, the only concentration camp built to

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Has anyone else heard about Ravensbruck, the only concentration camp built to

imprison women?  Notables such as Mayor LaGuardia's niece and theTen Boom sisters were in such a hell. Women were subject to brutality in all forms in this hell.  They were pressed into slave labor-working until death. There were routine medical experiments by sadistic "doctors".  There were gas chambers and crematoriums.  Out of 132,000 prisoners, over 90,000 died from horrendous conditions.  When the Soviets liberated the camp in 1945, only 3000 were alive.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12380005_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 2 years ago

I have heard of the camp, or a name that was very similar, and knew it was for women. I familiar with the overall acts of brutality by the Nazis during WWII, but have not studied that particular camp. You should do a hub about it.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I may one day.  That camp creates quite a visceral response of fear.  That camp's hell is equivalent or worse than the hell of Auschwitz.  Women there were subjected to beyond horrendous acts.  I read about the camp & saw documentaries on it.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

Bergen-Belsen, where Anne Frank, her sister Margot, and Mrs. Van Daan were sent, was also for women.  As a rule, most of the camps were segregated, but Anne Frank wrote in her diary about Westerbook where the genders were mixed, and several females were pregnant as a result.

working