jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

If congress was paid minimum wage how would that impact the way they vote?

1. Motherbynature profile image77
    Motherbynatureposted 2 years ago

If congress was paid minimum wage how would that impact the way they vote?

How would America be different, say one year after congress had lived on minimum wage? Would they be more sympathetic to the average working class family?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12439510_f260.jpg

2. ronbergeron profile image84
    ronbergeronposted 2 years ago

They wouldn't have time to vote. They'd all need to work second jobs to feed their families.

Motherbynatureposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ron. So do you think that congress needs a higher salary to be functional?

2. ronbergeron profile image84
      ronbergeronposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone needs a living wage to be functional. Positions of greater responsibility are generally better compensated. In the case of politicians, I think that money they receive that is not part of their authorized salary is a big issue.

3. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I don't think minimum wage is the solution, but I think they should definitely make a more reasonable salary and that special interest money should be eliminated - then they would be better able to serve their constituency and not merely serve the entities who bribe them or buy them off.

Bribes and favors are a BIG problem in politics. Thanks Christin.

4. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I think paying Congress the minimum wage would simply result in more rich guys running for office, and more corruption. Without higher salaries, lobbyists and special interest groups would have even more sway, because that's where their money would come from.

I don't know that there are many politicians who would ever be sympathetic to the working class. I think they only pay attention to whoever has the money to buy them.

Hi Lisa.  You're right about lower salaries triggering more corruption.  The problem isn't rich guys running for office.  The problem lies in then actually being elected because of lack of voter turnout or irresponsible voting.

working