jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Are Black People Displaying Color Prejudice With Their Dark Skin versus Light Sk

1. vveasey profile image83
    vveaseyposted 2 years ago

Are Black People Displaying Color Prejudice With Their Dark Skin versus Light Skin Issue?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12548302_f260.jpg

2. NiaLee profile image59
    NiaLeeposted 2 years ago

It depends on people, i love everyone and find beauty in every shape, size, color,shade…sadly, everyone doesn't think and act the same. I am black not so dark. So, here it is : white people can see I am black.
    I have had darker people prejudice against me and using the "she is lighter card" or the "white one" expression all over the place, from my taste in dishes to my hair style. I have had girls calling  me darkie when offended that a man would pursue me and not them who are lighter skin tone.
    I believe that like racism it is a card that is pulled, a stigmatization that comes from a place of complex, low self esteem from the speaker or actor of the situation.
    We also need to recognize that the media has been central to this issue. Lighter black women preferred for almost everything, darker women is mean and harsh, violent and bad, lighter is kind and soft spoken, smart and good : Coming to America, Girlfriends, Mr. Deeds, Disney series, etc… Now, many series and movies have healed this part displaying virtues and qualities in darker skin women "Let's stay together", "Why did I get married?", "Rookie Blue", "HTGAWMurder"etc… Dark girls and women were programmed to be hard, violent, mean and abandoned, never chosen, losing their men and husbands to a lighter woman. In reality, it is sadly still a reality in Sports and Entertainment… They make big money, the black woman is out and the lighter one is in… I apologize to anyone who is sensitive about this but it is very visible.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

My best friend from high school attended a black university in Alabama.  She found the experience traumatic.  There was all this divisiveness; dark skin against light skin, natural hair versus processed hair, southerners against northerners, etc.  She barely finished her year there.  One thing I can say in favor of our home town of Oakland CA is that we don't have a lot of racism there.  Even our black-on-black crime isn't that drastic!

1. NiaLee profile image59
      NiaLeeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Girl, I understand, happy to learn that Oakland offers a more relaxed and free experience. Most places where artists live have a tendency to  be more understanding, open, free. When you are allowing yourself to be free, peaceful, strong inside out.

working