Should Kim Davis be forced to give out marriage licenses when she get's back to

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Josh Ratzburg profile image75
    Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years ago

Should Kim Davis be forced to give out marriage licenses when she get's back to work? And will she?

Kim Davis was recently released from prison and is due back to work this week, do you think she will follow the law this time? If she doesn't, isn't she breaking God's law also? Isn't one sin no greater than another?
    Romans 13
    1Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12632048_f260.jpg

2. mosaicman profile image59
    mosaicmanposted 8 years ago

You have to follow the law of her job. If she feels uncomfortable or is unwilling to do what is required of her in her job, she should find a job where she isn't breaking her moral code of ethics and beliefs.

1. Josh Ratzburg profile image75
      Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer, I agree completely.

3. adagio4639 profile image59
    adagio4639posted 8 years ago

Assuming that she goes back to work, if she tries to block the issuing of licenses, she should, and will go back to jail. The office she holds does not entitle her to deny a license to people based on her religious views. Those who believe it does, like Mike Huckabee and a few others, have no understanding of the 1st Amendment and the Free Ex clause of the Amendment.

“Freedom of religion embraces two concepts, - freedom to believe and freedom to act. The first is absolute but, in the nature of things, the second cannot be”. Cantwell v. Connecticut

An overlooked aspect of the free exercise clause which is a blind spot among Republicans, and especially Huckabee  is that it looks back to the establishment clause for its definition of "religion." The establishment clause says that Congress may make no law respecting an establishment of "religion," while the free exercise clause says that Congress cannot prohibit the free exercise "thereof." Logically, the word "thereof" must have the same content as the object to which it refers. Accordingly, what counts as "religion" for one clause must count as "religion" for the other.

The state, for example, abridges free exercise when it tells students they cannot pray during school, even if it allows them complete freedom to practice all other aspects of their faith. Similarly, the state cannot tell a church it can't erect a nativity scene on its front lawn even if the church is otherwise left free to use its property as it wishes. Private prayer and nativity scenes are protected by the free exercise clause despite the fact that neither of these practices constitute religions in and of themselves.

If prayer and nativity scenes count as "religion" for the purposes of the free exercise clause, they must also count as "religion" for the purposes of the establishment clause.

A marriage license is not a religion. By objecting to issuing a license on religious grounds she's invoking the Free Exercise clause of the First Amendment. But what counts as Religion for the purposes of Free Exercise, MUST also count as Religion for the purposes of establishment. What she's doing is establishing religion as a litmus test in Kentucky for issuing a Marriage license, and that clearly violates the First Amendment and the concept of Separation of Church and State. She has Zero legal grounds to stand on, and she'll wind up in jail again if she continues to pursue this unconstitutional position.

1. profile image53
      heylady612posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, this is the best explanation I have read that make sense. I am a Christian myself and I  do not agree with her reasoning. Kim is fighting against same sex marriages by way of not issuing a license. The license is just a peace of paper.

4. CharlieClaywell profile image93
    CharlieClaywellposted 8 years ago

She has a moral obligation to uphold the United State laws since she is an elected official. If her religious conviction prohibits her from performing the tasks of the office, she should resign. However, the judge gave her a fair and reasonable way to keep her job and uphold her own convictions -- just don't interfere with her deputies and let them sign the marriage licenses. This is, in essence, a way for her to "save face" while still allowing the business of government to be conducted.

1. profile image53

I agree. Kim Davis is blessed to have this job, so she should not interfere. However, I don't think that she will be able to work there without causing confusion for her staff because of her position and supervision that will be needed.

5. Michael-Milec profile image60
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

She should issue that worthless peace of  certificate for the sake of keeping her working position. God the Creator of the universe is not affected by man's  meaningless decision's, (ordinances , laws) or government's propagated religion, nether are His children. No one is loosing  the spiritual battle happening on mental or physical ground, neither will Kim Davis if she'll  continue  performing her duty.

6. Peter Grujic profile image60
    Peter Grujicposted 8 years ago

Good question but there is only one answer= She absolutely should dispense marriage licenses to whomever  is allowed to marry, BY LAW. What if she felt people of mixed races shouldn't be allowed to marry.. and on and on. Where do you draw the line? The line is to follow the law or quit.  Her job is to simply follow the laws of the land - not laws created by her chaotic thinking or personal beliefs. Her confidence in her "belief" will be so erroneously "puffed up" by people like Hucklebee and Cruz, who are using her for their own political goals, that she very likely will refuse and had better be  hauled back to jail. Of course she will become a poster child of the ultra-conservatives and will cash in on interviews, books and movie deals, etc. Move over Sara Palin. My religious beliefs support anyone who want to extrapolate their love to a committed relationship via marriage. Period!

1. profile image53

I'm sorry but mixed races and same sex marriages are totally different. However, I believe that she should work somewhere eles that doesn't conflict with her beliefs. We all have the right to believe and live anyway we chose including Huckabee &

7. febriedethan profile image81
    febriedethanposted 8 years ago

I think if she can't follow the Law, she should quit her job.

There is no such Law in my country. We never permit same-sex marriage, but we face corruption, double bookkeeping to avoid tax etc, so as a financial and accounting staff, if I can't obey my Boss command, I just quit my job.

1. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your country is smart. There isn't such a thing as a "same- sex marriage,''- if anything it is a business to capitalize on some peoples ignorance who wants  publicly to be acknowledged that they are plunging their souls into the mud of  destruction.

2. profile image53

I agree, most people do not know how blessed they are.

8. profile image0
    Commander Timmyposted 8 years ago

Do your job, God will understand. He knows your heart, why care about the rest. Might consider getting a new job, tho. 

I'm still copping that there is such a thing as homosexuality and that its normal. I love people but I think its a sexual perversion, but most of us are already perverted by media. Again, I don't understand why all the good looking men like other good looking men, oh wait, yeah I do. But still our population is going to die out if we can't procreate.

Bottom line, we are all screwed up, gay or straight we all stand on the same ground.

1. adagio4639 profile image59
      adagio4639posted 8 years agoin reply to this

"But still our population is going to die out if we can't procreate."  Homosexuality has been around forever, and our population has only increased over the centuries. I don't think you have to worry about the population dying out.

2. Josh Ratzburg profile image75
      Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, the ONLY thing that has changed is gay couples can get married. It's not like because the government said they couldn't marry, they were all of a sudden straight... It doesn't work like that.

3. profile image53

LOL, your right! The paper really doesn't matter. This is much more than a piece of paper. This is where most Christians don't have a clue...the fight is on your knees in prayer.

9. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 8 years ago

When  you accept a job you accept the responsibilities that come with that job.  If you don't want to perform your duties under the law for some reason then you should find more suitable employment.

10. Qmarpat profile image61
    Qmarpatposted 8 years ago

I think long story short, she should just fill out a job transfer form, and change positions. She can have her beliefs, but job mandates are different. The laws and regulations recently changed. She could ask for a Writ of Habeas, and inform the judge, that she's changing jobs because it conflicts with her beliefs. That way she can stay true to herself, and not make herself a martyr.

1. profile image53

I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)