What makes so many religionists quite judgmental & prejudicial people? What furthermore makes
religionists highly condescending of those who do not believe as they do?
The basis of religion is dogma, the definition of right and wrong in any circumstance, so, it is drawn and clear, no other way. The judgment comes with it, defines, limits, motivates.
Sometimes, it is better to seem narrow minded and know where you go and how, sometimes, crap!
These people don't understand religion is for a person's own spiritual fulfillment only, it give you no right to persecute against others base on it.
I am a student of Peace, Grace, and as such know only about people. In Religion and out of Religion, we essential wish for the same things. The Soul is seeking, and perhaps that's why the greatest instinct is Survival, and so we do or act in such a way as is necessary to stay alive or ultimately find our True Source.
Christianity speaks of seven deadly sins and the East speaks of five. They can attempt to address your question:
1. Ego. It is the nature of the Ego to analyse, separate, chop things up. It gets joy in putting things in boxes, in pleasure; in name and fame. It exists largely in the mind and will generally seek its own selfish instincts. There are no 'we' and 'ours' in the Ego, but only 'I' and 'mine.'
2. Anger or wrath is very difficult to conquer, and has lead to many deaths and devastation. Anger is present because the mind is restless and not peaceful or serene.
3. Lust/desire/passion. This is also tied up with the next one called Attachment. We use the spiritual energy in a very carnal or promiscuous way and this leads to anger and Greed, the 5th. Desire weakens us and makes us more animalistic and brutish.
4. Attachments. Sometimes called Maya or illusion. We see the world as real and permanent and become attached to house, family, car, food and wine and many things. We forget that this whole thing is ran by a Cosmic Will and that we are only instuments. We see the illusion, instead of the Reality, and feel falsely, that we are in charge.
5. Greed. This also increase the desire for material gain or rather an enslavement to material gain, as well as power and pelf. We can only do this, when empathy is missing and as such we forget that Humanity is our brothers and sisters.
This is what makes us humans prejudicial and judgemental. In this mad quest for survival and with an ignorance of Knowledge, we become insecure, fearful and resentful and do wrong things, Religion or no Religion. We are essentially human, a Soul or Souls in Isolation, and on its/their way HOME.
Finally, Spirituality asks us to change our own nature, but even in your question there is a looking 'out' rather than 'within' to prayer, Silence; Solitude, Service ... as it is perceived by many to be more comfortable to do so. In Love and Light.
Christianity teaches it is the only true religion. It also emphasizes witnessing to those who believe differently, in an effort to convert and "save" the whole world. Some even go so far as to say their particular denomination is the only true one! This, coupled with the threat of eternal hellfire, is what makes Christians so fanatical and bigoted.
by Grace Marguerite Williams 2 years ago
What makes the issue of sex and sexuality a threat to so many religionists and those who havean extremely conservative, traditional, and/or fundamentalist mindset and psychology?
by Grace Marguerite Williams 4 years ago
What makes so many religionists highly intrusive regarding their particular religious views whereasso many atheists are not as intrusive regarding their ethical views?
by Dwight Phoenix 2 years ago
What are the most annoying responses Christians give to questions atheists ask?I'm a christian and I think that it would be helpful in ministry, if Christians new a bit more about how atheists felt about a Christian's rebuttal
by Will Apse 2 years ago
Quote:Humans suppress areas of the brain used for analytical thinking and engage the parts responsible for empathy in order to believe in god, research suggests.They do the opposite when thinking about the physical world, according to the study." from what we understand about the...
by earnestshub 9 years ago
I am beginning to feel that some religionists, especially of the evangelistic bent are either blind, cannot read, have been forbidden to learn, are indoctrinated or live in constant subconscious fear. Of course the usual religious forum disclaimer applies. I luvs yers all!
by thirdmillenium 7 years ago
Whenever a religious discussion is mooted, we invariably find that people completely veer off the point and turn it into a discussion about God's existence. It is always whether there is God or not. Always. Ad nauseam. It is boring and getting repetitive. And, frustrating, i can tell...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|