Giving money to strangers. Helping them out.

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (34 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I am in a situation where I am quickly running out of my savings, paying my bills, and, all that. So, I  went looking for avenues to ask for donations at another website. And the result has not been good at all. (As in zero donations so far.)

So, I am curious. If you were asked by a charity orginization to give just 1 dollar to ten different people on this board.
    Would you do it if you thought it would help them pay their bills? Buy food, rent, whatever?

I just know that if an orginazaion did that for me, and I could get a few thousand members to send me a dollar. I would be very thankful. And be able to pay my rent until I found a job.

And to put the shoe on the other foot. lets say you are one of the people that is receiving $1 from many different people. Would you be happy to receive it? and what would you use it for?

1. MikeNV profile image66
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know the cliche... teach a man to fish.

Our economy is a clear indicator if the disproportionate distribution of wealth.

When you continue to let an Elite Group of Bankers control the money supply you end up with millions of people who are suffering.

There is plenty to go around, it's just inequitably distributed.

This year farmers in NY let their apples fall to the ground and rot because the price they could get for them was not high enough to justify picking them.

That's the system we have created and allow to continue.

Poverty is rampant in the United States and will continue to be rampant.

You have got to dig yourself out.  And charity may not always find it's way to you.

There are far more people in need of charity than those with the means to give it.

2. prosmentor profile image60
      prosmentorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My take on this, is that you do something based on you peace of mind. And also don't please anyone to displease yourself.

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

so, you have a computer, and an internet connection, your electricty must still be on? It sucks to be low and getting lower on money. I do know about it. I personaly, give food to food pantries, clothing to the homless shelter, stuff like that. I feel nervous about handing money over to just anybody, I dont really want it to go somewhere and not be usefull. I dont have much to spare, so, I prefer what I can give to be of real use. I hope things turn around for you.

2. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

I would rather try to help find that person avenues of work even if that meant relocation.  One would learn self reliance best through manual labor than without.

It definitely sounds like you are in definite strains.  I sympathize greatly and empathize.

3. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/noname.jpg

brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love this picture! It's sad and cute at the same time! Come on give the kitty a quarter!

1. Katelyn Weel profile image91
        Katelyn Weelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought the cat was dead!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love the pic!! lol  , but is that cat alive /:

1. profile image0

me?....

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No sunforgeds pic above , sorry was sposed to show as reply

You dead oh baby you the most alive cat on this page ..big_smile
          HUGGZ

1. profile image0

lol  lol I was soooooo confused, cuz my pic USED to be my cat..hahahahha..hugs.  smile

4. marcel285 profile image65
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

If i had money to give to someone in need, i would. It wouldn't matter who it was, as long as it was someone who needed that help and the money was going towards living.

Although, i would be more inclined to buy a goat or blankets for world vision children, than to give to people whom are more privledged.

5. marcel285 profile image65

I sympathise for you, i know life is hard sometimes. You should be appling for every job possible though, rather than on the net when you could be getting somewhere in pulling yourself out of this situation.

Just to answer your question. I have applied at every major retailer in my city. Which probably covers about 100 stores or more through online applications, (WHICH I HATE) I give out my cell phone number. That way it is allways available in case I am online. But, have not received any invites for an interview.

The day I went into Kohls to apply, there were 15 people ahead of me, waiting in line for an application. Every store that I went into. Walmart, Target, Best Buy, JC Penney, all told me that they only accept applications on line. And, I should do it at home. Which I find very impersonal.

After working full time for 20 years, that was a huge shock. So, I guess my next step is back to fast food joints. They don't pay much, and the work sucks. been there, done that.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You probably realise this but if you want to work at a major retailer (as opposed to a fast food place), you'll just have to bite the bullet and apply online.   

If you want help with wording any parts of your online application, I have a suggestion.  One of the ways in which I earn a living is by writing CVs/resumes.  Email me (use the link on my profile page) and I will rewrite/tweak any bits of the application you might have problems with. 

If you do get a job with a major retailer after receiving my help, show your appreciation by sending $30 to my PayPal account (which has a different email address - cross that bridge if and when we come to it though).

I already did the online applications at every retailer I mentioned, along with the online tests that come with each application. I haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm thinking because I was let go from a major retailer, It will be hard for me to get a job in the same business.

I also have a pay pal account. But, I don't have 30 dollars to send you. I have just enough money to pay my rent through february, and then I'll have nothing.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you've had no luck with the major retailers (it might be too early to tell though), I wonder if there are any small, local retailers you could apply to?  They probably won't pay as much, but at least it might be a more civilised environment than a fast food place.  Plus they are more likely to look kindly on someone who applies in person. 

When it comes to your having been let go from your last job, it all depends on why.  If it was straightforward redundancy, then I don't think it will count against you; there's no stigma attached to redundancy in the current economic climate.  The only problem is that there are no doubt loads of other people in the same boat, so the job market will be more competitive than it was a couple of years ago.

6. christinecook profile image60
    christinecookposted 14 years ago

sure why not. what is one dollar. no big deal. i give more than that to timmies on a regular basis.

7. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

Thankyou for your responces. One of the reasons I joined hubpages, is because I thought it would generate income. I
    am having a lot of trouble getting traffic to my pages. And, I have only made 5 cents so far.

And funny you should mention goats. We received something in the mail on this very subject. Where if you send this orginization $250.00 they will buy a goat and 2 chickens for this village. Right away that sent up red flags.

Number 1: lets say this generates a million dollars. Where does one get one million dollars worth of goats and chickens.

Number 2: How does one transfer 1 million dollars worth of goats and chickens? And, how do they get to the people that need them? It seems to me that this would not be an easy task.

Yet this orginization is saying that they will send it. But, doesn't say how they will send it, or how many are available to send, or who it will be sent to.

Seems weird to me. Just a comment.

8. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I would give a dollar no problems at all

9. marcel285 profile image65

What is your paypal account brimancandy?? I will give you 10 dollars. if that helps you?

10. profile image0
    incomenewsposted 14 years ago

Dude I understand your pain and suffering as I've been there. I did set up a donation website and I got zero responses just like you. I've started selling lemonade for $1 and that's been helping. I believe people today are not as generous as the previous generation.

If i was on the receiving end I would sure be grateful and would want to do something in return to thank them for their generosity. A thousand people giving me a thousand dollars would really help me big time. Unfortunately generous people are very hard to find these days.

1. danny-rose profile image60
      danny-roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am agree with you.People are so grumpy everywhere, and I prefer to stay home if it is possible. I do not think that anybody cares about other people's problems and try to help. It is so depressing.

11. marcel285 profile image65

http://42px.net/idt/74/23829263

i dont know if that's legit or not, but it's a link to participate in a survey to get a 250 walmart card. I'm a kiwi, so it's not available to me.

12. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Why are you only hitting up major retailers?  Hit the little ones, the mom-and-pop shops/restaurants etc. They often have need of part time work. Also, have you gone in person to the warehouse districts in your town and asked in person at all of those?  Small businesses provide a massive percentage of the jobs in the U.S.

After high-school, my son kept telling us he couldn't find a job, and it turned out he too was applying at "all the major retailers."  That is where everyone applies, because those are the places everyone thinks of (and they usually have good benefits and stuff, so everyone wants that etc.).  He wasn't thinking hard enough (nor working hard enough, in his case... finding work is a full time job). HOwever, we took him to one of the large main streets in town and told him to go into EVERY business there was, including non-retail.  If they weren't hiring, I also told him to ask if they knew anyone who was.  He had a job within four hours. Maybe give that a shot.

1. Don't only hit big ones
    2. Think outside of retail
    3. If they aren't hiring, ask if they know who is.

(Are you getting unemployment?  And how much are you paying for your Internet service and other things?  Surely you can cut stuff back rather than not pay your mortgage...or at least lessen how severely you will be short)

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Briman, contact me through my profile, I might have some work for you. Not full time and thousands dollars, but better then nothing. smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, you have a bigger heart than I thought smile 

Good luck Briman.  Outside of retailers, apply at the local school districts to para.  If you have a 4 year degree, many schools allow you to substitute teach.  Look at corporate run group homes, they often need help, especially to cover over night shifts, but they require training (usually paid training).  Are you qualified to drive a school bus, USP or FedEx?  Just some random thoughts.  Also, the Census bureau was hiring, check them out online.

14. kj8 profile image60
    kj8posted 14 years ago

I think the suggestion of going into EVERY business in a street is a good one. Present yourself well. It has worked for me before. I got a job in a jewellery store and a cafe and ended up job sharing with my cousin, we both took turns in each job. Must admit it was a few years ago and the job market wasn't so damaged.  Don't give up, you will feel better about yourself earning your $$ than asking for small amounts online.

1. prosmentor profile image60
      prosmentorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Follow your heart.

15. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

Try ModestNeeds.com. They helped me once years ago, and now I am a donor when I am able to contribute.

16. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I have been where you are, or just down the block anyway smile
    When I was looking for work last I applied to just about everything there was a chance I could do. I was living in a new country and had just been allowed to work but no access to benefits (not unreasonable). The first job was a bit of a fluke, a flower shop that needed help with deliveries on the run up to christmas and it was under the table. I actually was not allowed to work at that point so thats why it was under the table, but I just walked in and said something like "you have a help wanted sign, technically I am not allowed to work until my visa clears but I thought I would come in and ask about the job anyway big_smile" I left my contact details and carried on with my food shopping. I was not even home before I got a call that I could have the job, so stopped by the shops on the way back to discuss hours and such. My second job took a year from application to starting the job. I went into shops asking if they were hiring, I went to all the job agencies, I applied online for as much as I could find including local government jobs (thats where I got my first legit job) and I took a computer course to increase employability.  The job I got was through the local gov. and was as a school crossing patroller, before the end of the week I was offered a second job at the school. It took me a year of job hunting before I got my job but it was like fate because its the best and has opened doors.

Have you talked to the bank about your situation? Sometimes banks will cut you some slack if it's better business for them, repossessing your home is not the best business for them. If you have not talked to them do so!
    Have you thought about renting a room? There are a number of ways this can be done, some friends of mine have rented their bed room to students and slept on the couch instead! You might get enough to help with the mortgage that way.
    Misha has kindly offered to pay for blog posts (I think thats what it was) well he is not the only one that will do that, I am sure there are some good hubs reviewing sites that connect bloggers with writers. It might help keep your tummy full of food.

I hope that something here might help you out smile
    All the best

17. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

For kiva.org i don't mind cause someone is working to keep my trust on site. So they'll make sure right people get the donation i made.

18. profile image51
    Cergeyposted 5 years ago

People please help! My name is Sergey I from Russia, a small town of Chelyabinsk region. I am a single father I have two children my salary for the month of 12,000 thousand rubles or 170 dollars. I am asking for help to repay the loans of which I can't get out for 5 years tired of living in debt and starving 1000 dolar for me, no amount of lifting. There is no work here and nowhere to go to earn. Just tired already exist and not live. People help my email is mr.serepai91@mail.ru Yandex purse -410018420770030 has the master card-5336 6900 6456 6997

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)