What do you think of "parents" who disown or throw their children out of their h

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What do you think of "parents" who disown or throw their children out of their homes for being LGBT?

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I think it's a pretty despicable thing to to and ends up contributing heavily to the poor mental health and living conditions of many people.

3. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

What do I personally think of parents who disown their LGBT child?
    The pic says it all really - I feel like they've failed the number one thing about being a parent - loving your child unconditionally.

Funny thing is (and funny is the totally wrong word for it) - those who scream about same-sex marriage, and children needing "a mother and a father" are often also those who disown their LGBT child/ren - leaving them without EITHER....how does that make them a decent parent?

But, I'm also an LGBT parent, whose parents whilst shocked when I came out, have been accepting and welcome my partner (wife) with open arms, just as they did ALL of my sister's husbands (I'm one of 8 girls...). So, if my daughter tells me she's gay, bi, trans, etc (including straight!), I'll love her just the same - she is the same child I raised, I just get to know her better when/if she tells me these things.

I didn't care if she was a male or female child when I was carrying her - I just wanted her healthy. If she tells me she is attracted to girls - as long as she's happy and treated well - I'm happy. (I can see the people going "you encouraged her..." no, it doesn't work that way...but that's rubbish for me to deal with, if necessary, not her). If she is attracted to guys - the same applies. If she tells me she's trans - then, I'll ensure I use the correct name and pronouns and embrace them as my son. As long as they do not hurt themselves or others, and they are not hurt by others - I'm happy for them.

Why is that so hard for some people? If you can't love them unconditionally....why have them?