jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do some people contend that the wealthy are either immoral or corrupt?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why do some people contend that the wealthy are either immoral or corrupt?

2. Farawaytree profile image98
    Farawaytreeposted 2 years ago

To me, the answer is clear. Envy. Don't we all want to have enough money so not to worry about food, children, health insurance, etc?

Sure, there are many wealthy people out there who are corrupt, just as there are poor people who scam and cheat through life.

I think it's just easier to target people with tons of money because perhaps we feel they have everything they could possibly want in life  - at least in material terms - so it won't hurt them if we throw stones at them.

Or maybe it's just that some of us feel that those with much more money than us must have cheated somehow because if we're just as smart or deserving as they are, then why don't we have lots of money as well?

3. ValKaras profile image86
    ValKarasposted 2 years ago

I think there are 3 reasons:
    1) Envy: It's a common human reaction to those who have achieved more in life than we have.
    2) Prejudice with generalizing about "greed": There are many rich people who studied, planned, and worked hard many hours a day, and who deserve their riches. Great success is not automatically "greed", but they are often viewed as greedy, and then we pin on them all other vices.
    3) Greater exposure to the media : You won't see paparazzi following an ordinary Joe and making up stories about him. Basically, there is just as much chance for a rich person to do immoral things as for a middle or lower class person.

4. James A Watkins profile image93
    James A Watkinsposted 2 years ago

Envy and covetousness. Social Science Surveys show that greed and crime are no more prevalent among the rich than they are among the poor. Some Political Parties use envy and covetousness to attain Power.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

There is a mistaken belief that money is evil, when it is the LOVE of money that is evil.